Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried getting Avantgo to work wirelessly and stable on the 600? They have a PRC that's supposed to dload the updates. Here's what I tried and the symptoms I am seeing:

Installation:
    - I installed the avantgo reader and agconnect prcs in main memory. I also installed the lib prcs but they're in an msmount dir on the SD card.

- I configured agconnect as per the instructions at avantgo.com and checked off the box to use a storage card.

Symptoms:
    - AGConnect can run, bring up a wireless link and seems to be downloading content. Whenever I exit AGConnect, it resets the 600.

- Avantgo reader will reset the 600 when I exit, if I go to options->server settings or if I try to sync.

It seems that it is accessing some procedure or memory location not existant on the 600 but may exist on tungstens or other palms.

BTW: I've looked at handmark express but AVgo is free and seems to offer more content. If I can't get AVgo to work I might go with handmark anyway.

EDIT: 1.20 firmware.
    Last edited by CojonesDeToro; 07/01/2004 at 02:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Make sure you d/l AG from the website and hotsync to the Treo. I don't recommend downloading straight to the treo itself. Also make sure you've selected the latest version (Palm OS 5) AND that it's wireless compatibale.

You also might want to try deleting the current version and starting over. You may have a corrupt version or it may not be working w/the memory card. This could be the reason for your resets.

I run mine directly from the RAM and don't usually have any problems. I tried using handmark as well for a couple of months, but found that I got better content from AG for free as opposed $70 a year. Handmark does have a nice layout, but I didn't find it to be worth shelling out the extra $$$.

Just my 2 cents....good luck.
    Haven't had the first problem with Avantgo - been doing it wirelessly since the 300 days. Ben
    Do you have any privacy concerns with AvantGo?
    I would second the idea of running Avantgo directing from RAM. I've been using it for months with no real problem (until I upgraded to OS 10.3, but that was soon fixed).
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    How do you configure "Server Settings" for wireless updating?

Is the Server Address an Avantgo page or is it something I get from my ISP? Is the Username/Password from my ISP or my Avantgo account?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    How do you configure "Server Settings" for wireless updating?

Is the Server Address an Avantgo page or is it something I get from my ISP? Is the Username/Password from my ISP or my Avantgo account?

TIA
    the server address should be "sync.avantgo.com"
    port should be "80"
    and your username and password are the same ones for your avantgo account. hope this helps!
    That did the trick fine!

Thanks!
    is there any way to get rid of the ad that shows up when opening up avantgo?
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    That did the trick fine!

Thanks!
    Always glad to help

And as far as the ad ... I don't think so. Must be how they make their money seeing how Avantgo is a free program and all. Not sure though, just a thought
    First - It's much better to choose 64.157.224.7 ...there may be DNS issues at times and this works around it quite easily.

Also - On Mac anyway I've run into an issue where files backed-up, get re-installed on hotsync. There's a fix through a small prc from MarkSpace - http://www.markspace.com/support/ind...d=224&kbcat=10

Related to this...Is it possible to configure a "local" network connection so you can use a faster sync method - like a home cable modem. I've done this with a Windows RAS config on my Mac using Missing Sync Net Sharing, but only with a T3. The Treo seems to be locked...

It'd be great for larger syncs of data - Hand/RSS, AvantGo etc to just pull that stuff down when wanted, like before walking out the door, without a full sync or just GPRS. GPRS works, it's just much slower...
    AG runs fine on my 600. I do not use the SD card for storage...wasn't even aware that was possible. The server settings have already been posted above. I'm curious about the post that asked about PRIVACY issues on AG. What's that about?
    Jim
    It appears that as you go through their site they're tracking where you go so that they can push ads at you. Is this true or am I being over sensitive?
    They track what you read and what you click so they can pay advertisers who pay for impressions, leads and clicks. I don't think they really know who you are, though they've obviously built-in some bits so you can easily get your info filled in on forms.

It's just a cookie-esqe scheme.
    Have not tried installing directly to treo but I did move both Avantgo and Avantgo sync to the SD card using Zlauncher. Both apps are working with no problems so far. Synching via gprs is about the same speed.
    It seems bloated and sluggish. Or is that me?!
    The amount of data sent from what you select is a big factor. Also time of day and how busy the system (local especially) is. In Honolulu, reponse in the morning is slower than mid afternoon. Evenings appear to be a bit faster than afternoons. I experimented with the security feature and discovered it to be stable and reliable. Ben
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CojonesDeToro
    Has anyone tried getting Avantgo to work wirelessly and stable on the 600?
    I removed it completely and was able to install it using the Windows download app. It now will update wirlessly. There is a setting in the app to keep the dload data on the card. I have not tried running the app from the SD card but someone already posted that it works.

Thank you all for the replies.

Regards.
    My mobile syncing was working brilliantly until yesterday when i started getting a message saying I needed to upgrade my Avantgo software.

Anyone else get this message? Must I have a laptop to do this? TIA
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    My Avantgo (the free 2 meg version) sync'd up wirelessly just fine yesterday and today.

FWIW.

Bill S

ps I'm in NYC logging in through T-Mobile, if it matters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast