1.    #1  
    I am so tired of waiting for Verizon and Treo 600. I have been looking at the Blackberry and it seems real nice. I am sure there are less apps available. Does anyone have experience comparing the two? Especially medical software? Thanks!
    blackberries are more refined for business users, treo are more for gadget peopel i would say
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    For medical software you will not be very happy with the RIM OS. All the medical pharmacopeias (epoc. lexi, skyscape, cogniq etc..) are for the Palm OS and some PPC only. Without an expansion slot and the Palm OS, the BB will not meet your expectations. Go to any site that offers medical PDA software, you will not find anything for the BB.

a bit biassed,

PalmLover
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    if all you want is email then go for it. But that's a lot to pay for a phone/email device when that is all it's good for. Why not just take your number to another carrier?
  5.    #5  
    Unfortunately, VZ has the best coverage where I live. I am SO tired of their delays and "testing." Ridiculous. My Kyo 7135 passed their "testing" and it is one big heavy brick of a reset machine.
    I've got a Treo 600 of my own and a BlackBerry 6200 series from my job. Even if the 6200 had color and was the 7780 it would never come close to my Treo 600. It's not even fair to speak of these two devices in any kind of "which is better" manner . The Blackberry does not compare at all. I'm just waiting for Blackberry to release their Treo 600 compatible software. So I can dump this Blackberry.
    Last edited by darnell; 07/01/2004 at 01:59 PM.
    VZ is rumored to be offering Treo 600 in the next two weeks. You may want want to give it a couple more weeks.

If medical software is a must for you, Treo 600 is the only way to go.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    I am so tired of waiting for Verizon and Treo 600. I have been looking at the Blackberry and it seems real nice. I am sure there are less apps available. Does anyone have experience comparing the two? Especially medical software? Thanks!
    I'm a convert from Blackberry to the Treo 600. I absolutely loved the Blackberry. The quality of the device, the form factor, the software and the functionality, especially email was outstanding.

But .... I found that the availability of third party software was extremely limited. Much of what is out there is for older RIM devices and is not compatible with newer Blackberry’s. But more important than that, almost everything requires you to have a Blackberry Enterprise Server running. The BES server goes for about $1000 and is geared for the corporate enterprise.

So while I absolutely love the device, I found myself constantly running into things I could not do. Where on the Treo I am constantly running into more things that I can do.

There is so much software it is often difficult to pick which tool to use. That flexibility comes at a price. The Blackberry is rock solid and performs its key tasks just about flawlessly. The Treo is so flexible and allows so much tweaking that it is pretty easy to make the thing unreliable or buggy. So you need to be a bit patient as you work through the changes.

If email is your life and your happy with what comes with the Blackberry or have access to a BES server and an IT staff, the Blackberry is awesome. If you need the flexibility of a device that can do just about anything, the Treo is solid answer.
    You could probably find a 600 from Sprint and unlock it to work on VZ...
    Treo + goodlink = Blackberry's Nightmare.....

What an awesome combo.....yes your IT dept has to support it...but wow is it nice....

Never having to cradle again is simply amazing....
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    I looked into this with my previous employer, but found they were only interested in supporting RIM as they had it going at the worldwide (big company) level already. I'd definitely love to run it and get email delivered over the air, with synching of calendar and everything -- productivity would be enhanced for sure.

For now though, it's just me so synching works.
    Anyone got an idea when blackberry is going to be available for the treo?