1.    #1  
    There's a free alternative to Card Export II posted here with a related news story here. It might work brilliantly for some of you, especially at that price point.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    considering card export stopped working for me, keeps losing connection, I will certainly give this a shot, thanx
  3.    #3  
    you're welcome!
    Free is always great. If this had bee available BEFORE Card Export 2, I would have given it a shot. For now, I am more than satisfied with what CE2 does for me.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I want to note that these two applications do NOT provide the same functionality. Card Export II works without drivers on the comptuer by emulating a USB storage device, letting me use my Treo to transport data to and from any modern comptuer, running almost any operating system, without driver installs. This means that I can use it in libraries, at school, at work - without any system admin problems or hassle with installing software. This is the key feature of the card export app.

The linked app is free, and that is great, but it does not provide this key functionality, and therefore (for me) loses most of its value. If you only are trying to sync the Treo with computers you own and can install software to, this app will do it, but if you are trying to make your Treo into a thumbdrive look back at card export II.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    This means that I can use it in libraries, at school, at work - without any system admin problems or hassle with installing software. This is the key feature of the card export app.
    Well... Only problem with that is you have carry around the sync cable, whereas you can buy a tiny little SD card reader (not 6in1 just sd only) for less than cardexport II its actually faster still and has all the advantages plus is smaller than carrying a sync cable!
    Last edited by joele; 06/30/2004 at 11:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    I want to note that these two applications do NOT provide the same functionality. Card Export II works without drivers on the comptuer by emulating a USB storage device, letting me use my Treo to transport data to and from any modern comptuer, running almost any operating system, without driver installs. This means that I can use it in libraries, at school, at work - without any system admin problems or hassle with installing software. This is the key feature of the card export app.

The linked app is free, and that is great, but it does not provide this key functionality, and therefore (for me) loses most of its value. If you only are trying to sync the Treo with computers you own and can install software to, this app will do it, but if you are trying to make your Treo into a thumbdrive look back at card export II.
    Miradu, you are right about that and I like that CE2 doesn't require host software.

But when I thought about the way I would use a program like this, I came to the following conclusion - if I want to use Treo 600+CE2 as a flasdrive, then I would have to carry my hotsync cable with me everywhere, which I don't do, so it defeats the purpose of being able to use Treo instead of a flashdrive. Also, the software, which you need for PFB is just 2 files, so you can just download them from your e-mail and exeute them from wherever you see fit - they are not installed in the Windows sense of the word "install". And another benefit of PFB is that it allows you to access the main memory of your Treo, whcih CE2 doesn't do.

I guess it is always a matter of making some choices and tradeoffs. Which if you think is not that bad.

ooops, joele was faster.
    Did you use Profeo today ?
    hmm. will CE2 work via infrared? If it does, then we don't have to always carry a sync cable, as most laptops have IR ports.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    No it doesn't AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK
    Where is that BT driver? I for one would like to do all access to the Treo wireless. Whether it be hotsync or file transfer to SD or RAM. I wish PalmOne would make a push to help us Treo 600 users in getting BT and wifi working.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    You may not buy the next Treo if they did that
    Indeed. Except for the missing BT and wifi the treo 600 would have been almost perfect. They probably lost some sales due to those missing features. The next treo should have hi-res screen, 64MB min. RAM. higher capacity battery, both BT and Wifi. Then Card Export II and similar apps hopefully would support wireless transfer. They will surely have my money again if they did all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by joele
    You may not buy the next Treo if they did that
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenft
    There's a free alternative to Card Export II posted here with a related news story here. It might work brilliantly for some of you, especially at that price point.

Cheers
    I'm getting an error (on the PC) that it's missing USBPort.dll (need version 4.3 or newer). I had some screwy things happen when I installed the desktop and had to do some hodge podge work, but finally got the Treo to work. So it's possible this file never got installed.

If someone has it anc can forward to me, can you PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address to do so? (I don't want multiple copies from wonderful TreoCentral users to flood my e-mail box ) Many thanks!!

Louis
    After trying this Palm File Browser for a little bit I can tell you that it has a bug transferring rather large files. It seems to not like files over 85MB in size. Now for the most part this is not a big deal but you won't be able to use this free app to transfer movies to your SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by nachon
    But when I thought about the way I would use a program like this, I came to the following conclusion - if I want to use Treo 600+CE2 as a flasdrive, then I would have to carry my hotsync cable with me everywhere, which I don't do, so it defeats the purpose of being able to use Treo instead of a flashdrive.
    How do you use this new app instead ?????? Without sync cable ????
    Ciao

Ettore