1.    #1  
    I've been trying to get my treo to sync. I'm a linux newbie and have no understanding of how to get things to work. I have installed Suse 9.1 which uses the 2.6 kernel. I have no problems using USB drives, a USB keyboard and mouse.

I lauched kpilot and it gets to "Device link ready", but nothing happen when I click the sync button (on both the device and on kpilot).

I'm sure there has to be some linux users out there. Please help.
    id be interested in hearing if there are any linux users with treos as well. linux is becoming a popular alternative to windows particularly in europe.
    is it possible to sync with linux?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Yes I use my treo with Linux, I don't sync up the contacts/addresses etc I never bothered setting any of that side up. I simply use kpilot to install apps on the Treo (previously my tungsten E and SJ22 before that), and kpilot can also perform a complete backup/restore and I use the backup from time to time...... I also use Palm Desktop at work as Windows XP there....

Now for cookie in the kpilot settings where have you told it to look for the pilot in /dev/pilot or /dev/usb/ttyUSB1

To be honest it may be better to look on a suse help forum for this stuff you should be able to find details instructions for using palms with suse (as with any linux distribution) the instructions are the same no matter which usb based palm device you are using.....

A key rundown of what you are to do:

- make sure you are loading usb modules (you probably are I would guess)
    - load the visor module
    - find out which usb device usually /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 or /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
    - chmod 666 /dev/usb/ttyUSB1 or /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 whichever it was
    - create a symlink to this dev to /dev/pilot (just easier to remmeber then

kpilot should then work fine with it, as I am not sure what stage you are at, either try finding instructions on web (google) if you get stuck tell me where your at and I will try and help from there
  4.    #4  
    thanx so much joele! I was just missing the chmod. I'd been trying all the steps except that. I haven't quite immersed myself into linux yet and its quite hard to find treo users specifically there.

Its too bad I can't get Doctogo and Avantgo going on linux though, but I'm more than satisfied with the contacts synching up.
    I've been happily syncing my visors and treos to linux since the first visors came out. I use jpilot for a pretty bulletproof method of sync and backup. I would suggest getting familiar with 'pilot-xfer' also (part of the pilot-tools package. it is very handy for installing (and removing) pdb's and prc's by the one's and two's from yout treo.

I even have linux syncing my treo to evolution It _usually_ works.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie319
    Its too bad I can't get Doctogo and Avantgo going on linux though, but I'm more than satisfied with the contacts synching up.
    Yeah docstogo is a nogo as for avantgo I purchased Isilo to solve this problem, it is a nicer program IMHO and they have a command line linux version of the web site scrapper portion, Plucker is a free program that also has linux components and is also better than Avantgo.
  7.    #7  
    hmm.. I can't get treo to sync with evolution. Kpilot is definitely more reliable, but for some reason, it may lost its permissions.
    Nothing happens with gpilotd.
    Man, as much as I would like linux to be my primary OS, but its really causing a lot of inconveniences. Its definitely less productive for me. I've been on it for two weeks.

I really appreciate you guys' help. I don't feel so alone in the linux world.

I may check out Plucker, but I don't think i want to shell out for iSilo. Thanx for the suggestions. No DocsToGo is a real bummer. My alternative is to copy the large unconverted documents to my mem card, but that's too cumbersome and space hogging.