Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After months of watching the rumors abound about this next Treo I have come to the following conclusions:

You are all going to debate the release of the next Treo until a picture of Jeff Hawkins is spotted with a Treo ACE secretly taped to his *** on his way to a Pizza Hut. Then everyone will debate the exact release date… more rumors will fly. Eventually, the expected day of release will be narrowed down to one day which everyone will be counting down like New Years in Times Square only to find that people in Mud Lake, Idaho were the only ones actually able to purchase it. Scathing posts about Sprint will litter the boards about how they really messed up the release date and how much they suck. After most people are able to purchase one in their area someone will inevitably post a thread about a loophole to get a free upgrade. People who use this loophole will have to tell the CSR in a Romanian accent that they have an article that proves the Treo 600 causes nut cancer and in fact they’ve already returned it 3 times for this in the past. The average number of attempts to be successful with this ruse will average out to 8.9 calls to customer service.

People will then rant and rave about how much better the Treo ACE is then the 600 and everyone will move over to the Treo ACE board to talk about it. Next everyone will start complaining about how none of their applications like “CustomizedHackBlowsUpTreos” works anymore and that damn IR transmitter is the same underpowered one we’ve had since the 300. New programs and workarounds will breakout like the plague, till everyone is just about content with the ACE… BUT just then bargainpda.com will list a price watch for the Treo 700 with a Hi-Res color flexible screen and Wi-Max card and will start the process all over again.
    LOL

...but we wouldn't be geeks if that wasn't true!
    short time line

1. the treo ace will be touted as being "worlds beyond" the treo 600, but hardcore users of the t6 will still lurk around. The must popular topic on the treo 600 forums would be "why upgrade to the treo ace?" where users would complain about the treos ace's lack of a **** wiping apparatus, a feature which is necessary in any next gen smartphone
    2. The treo ace will be plagued by back orders and faulty production units, t-mobile would finally release the treo ace just as bargain pda releases their preview of the treo "ultimatewowthisisthehottestsh#@ever". Several t-mobile CSRs will involuntarily strangle themselves with their phone cords after many attempts to beat off another batch of new treo rumors.
    3. Verizon will finally release the treo 600, this shortly follows the news that the verizon ceo was cornered in the executive restroom and nearly beat to death with what officials say "appear to be a hitachi brick device of some sort"
    I'm staking out Pizza Huts right now !
    And ......?

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    After months of watching the rumors abound about this next Treo I have come to the following conclusions:

You are all going to debate the release of the next Treo until a picture of Jeff Hawkins is spotted with a Treo ACE secretly taped to his *** on his way to a Pizza Hut. Then everyone will debate the exact release date… more rumors will fly. Eventually, the expected day of release will be narrowed down to one day which everyone will be counting down like New Years in Times Square only to find that people in Mud Lake, Idaho were the only ones actually able to purchase it. Scathing posts about Sprint will litter the boards about how they really messed up the release date and how much they suck. After most people are able to purchase one in their area someone will inevitably post a thread about a loophole to get a free upgrade. People who use this loophole will have to tell the CSR in a Romanian accent that they have an article that proves the Treo 600 causes nut cancer and in fact they’ve already returned it 3 times for this in the past. The average number of attempts to be successful with this ruse will average out to 8.9 calls to customer service.

People will then rant and rave about how much better the Treo ACE is then the 600 and everyone will move over to the Treo ACE board to talk about it. Next everyone will start complaining about how none of their applications like “CustomizedHackBlowsUpTreos” works anymore and that damn IR transmitter is the same underpowered one we’ve had since the 300. New programs and workarounds will breakout like the plague, till everyone is just about content with the ACE… BUT just then bargainpda.com will list a price watch for the Treo 700 with a Hi-Res color flexible screen and Wi-Max card and will start the process all over again.
    Very funny.....good read. Thanks!
    You forgot to mention the spate of near suicides as we go nuts waiting through the inevitable water torture until release.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You forgot to mention the spate of near suicides as we go nuts waiting through the inevitable water torture until release.
    Listen, the suicides will come after some dad posts his 12-year olds first Palm program that gives you the atomic weight of any candy and also enables live video streaming of any Global Hawk Unmanned Reconnaissance Craft over Afghanistan. Shortly after Microsoft will make a power play to be the OS for all PalmOne future devices and then no more free software, no more hacks, no more atomic weights of a Snickerdoodle!

I’m telling you this is the one thing we should fear the most, and I think nobody is paying attention to the weather.
    that was a great post, but it also forgot to mention how everybody is already talking about what features (or lacks) disappoint them about a new phone that nobody even has final specs on yet!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    That has to be the funniest post I've ever read on this forum!!! So true ...
    life as a treo nut.

also forgot the thread where it compares when someone ordered it and when they got it and the disgust some users will get for not getting theirs b4 someone who ordered theirs after.

remember ppl if you order from palm order the accessories and phone seperate.

I can't wait
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I agreee, this is one of the funniest threads yet. Hat's off to deesugar for having the ability to bring our obsession into true light. Truth is ALWAYS more humourous than fiction.

Two other additions though will be the inevitable threads:

Mine has shipped!!!! where each person who orders at midnight on the first day of release will get theirs and be the "first to review" even if it means taking off work for a week and stalking the FedEx person in their neighborhood (and yes, I'm guilty of that too) until it arrives.

Oh, and don't forget the thread about the rebates where the established precedent of early adoptor upgrade rebates will be debated ad-nauseum, and then come to fruition in spite of the "inside scoop" that they aren't offering it this time.

Between the two that I added, that's at least 150 posts each.

Keep it up posters, this is the best laugh I've had in days.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!

and someone called INeverComeToThisWebSite will post a thousand time a week saying that even though PalmOne claim to be shifting a million units a quarter in fact there is no evidence that anyone has actually bought the new Treo, PalmOne is doomed, the price of PLMO stock is about to plummet (there will be a note of desperation in this bit), and the way forward is really the new MPx Rubik's Cube (with 54 OLED screens and WiMaxiTooth).
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC

and someone called INeverComeToThisWebSite will post a thousand time a week saying that even though PalmOne claim to be shifting a million units a quarter in fact there is no evidence that anyone has actually bought the new Treo, PalmOne is doomed, the price of PLMO stock is about to plummet (there will be a note of desperation in this bit), and the way forward is really the new MPx Rubik's Cube (with 54 OLED screens and WiMaxiTooth).
    Yeah,
    And you forgot to mention how that same "INeverComeToThisWebSite" will now post how the "TREO 600 is still better than the TREO ACE" because they don't happen to have the money to buy it yet and they are trying to make themselves feel good. But then, nobody will reply their thread and they'll eventually go buy it when they figure out how much fun everyone else is having with the TREO ACE
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Yeah,
    And you forgot to mention how that same "INeverComeToThisWebSite" will now post how the "TREO 600 is still better than the TREO ACE" because they don't happen to have the money to buy it yet and they are trying to make themselves feel good. But then, nobody will reply their thread and they'll eventually go buy it when they figure out how much fun everyone else is having with the TREO ACE
    .... and then start complaining how it doesn't have feature XYZ

.... and that TREO ACE 10 due 1st April 2005 will have all that

.... then posting photoshoped pictures
    and if y'all think this is funny when applied to a phone, read some of the posts at priuschat.com about people trying to get hold of the toyota prius hybrid. and i'm no better than any of them, because i flew from new york to charleston west virginia to get mine!!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    and if y'all think this is funny when applied to a phone, read some of the posts at priuschat.com about people trying to get hold of the toyota prius hybrid. and i'm no better than any of them, because i flew from new york to charleston west virginia to get mine!!
    i would fly to IRAQ if the treo ace was available there.

so, i understand.

how you like the prius? i read it doesn't really the miliage that it says it will.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Seems to me that the electricity you use to charge the thing has to come from some smog-generating plant. Also, its bazillion batteries have to go bad eventually, and there you have yet another source of pollution. Of course, if the Priapus comes with Bluetooth, it will all be worth it.....
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 06/30/2004 at 09:39 PM.
    actually, my prius has bluetooth. and if you drive it for max mpg, as many folks do, it is indeed capable of meeting the epa numbers... (see some of the mpg threads at www.priuschat.com)

as for what the prius does to reduce pollution, it is not just the hybrid. the prius is green in other ways as well (extensive use of recycled plastics, ...) and reduction is certainly a start, and certainly more than doing nothing...

besides, it's a great gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Seems to me that the electricity you use to charge the thing has to come from some smog-generating plant.....
    Dalai, you missed how these things work! No external electricity is used to charge the batteries -- it is generated internally, at least partly from the gas engine (i.e., you never plug it in). Now that's not to say we won't have to figure out how to recycle the batteries in 8-10 years . . . [sorry for contributing to a thread hijacking ]
    Last edited by curtiscarmack; 07/01/2004 at 01:08 AM. Reason: made an error
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast