1.    #1  
    The 'Purge' feature in the menu only deletes inbox messages more than a week old. Unfortunately, if my inbox has an SMS conversation, the entire conversation is only as old as the last message within it, and it doesn't get purged (assuming you've messaged at least once with that person within the week). So, if you open the conversation, there could be messages going back several months within it (which I don't want) along with the most recent messages (which I do).

Is there any way to purge old SMS messages from inside a 'chat style' conversation?
    You can delete individual messages inside a chat by tapping on the given message inside the chat, going to menu, and delete.
    thanks for that alli thats a good little thing i have wanted to be able to do for ages thanks
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    You can delete individual messages inside a chat by tapping on the given message inside the chat, going to menu, and delete.
    Hmmm, when I am within the chat log itself, the SMS menu changes, and delete's not an option. Tapping on individual messages within the chat also doesn't select them.

Since your suggestion seem to work for others, is this maybe something they changed recently in the Treo software? My Treo's brand new, and I'm using SMS v.1.0.1.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    No, it's always been in there. You just have to make sure you tap on the person's name and then go to the menu and the delete sign will be there.
    brilliant! thanks for sharing.
    Aha, tap the person's *name*, not the message text. Thanks, that did the trick! :^>
  8.    #8  
    Thanks.. that is indeed a wonderful tip.

Pity there's no purge option to get rid of old messages automatically, though. Maybe that's for the Treo ACE :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    unfortunately, this is not a purge.

I wonder if they'll fix the 'delete' command, as it's logical to delete *all* old messages, as I consider a chat no more than a view of my sms.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    I hate waking up old threads like this, but better than starting a new one.

Anyone heard of a way to do this? I have a conversation going that takes 5s to load on my Treo, I *could* just delete the entire conversation, but maybe I want to see the last 50 entries, etc, and I'm not going to go through the other 200 and delete each individual one.

AHA!! Just had an idea, worked! Prefs, Chat, Create chats from messages. I have this set to "Always". Change it to "Never", hit Okay, then purge, then set it back to your preferred setting. Voila!
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    AHA!! Just had an idea, worked! Prefs, Chat, Create chats from messages. I have this set to "Always". Change it to "Never", hit Okay, then purge, then set it back to your preferred setting. Voila!
    YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Now there's an idea. Someone can easily automate this with a simple app. Anybody?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but you can also delete entire conversations (threads) from the Inbox by highlighting the name (thread), clicking the Menu button and pressing "D". It'll warn you that you're about to delete an entire conversation, but it's a quick way to trim down your total messages.
    Hello,
    Can anyone tell me if the option "Create chats from messages" mentioned above is also available in SMS v 1.01 (2004)? I searched for it, but can't find it!
    All my SMS's now become an Chat, but I don't want that! How can I shut that Chat-thing down? I just want single SMS, no Chat.