1.    #1  
    I realize there are quite a few threads on this topics. I did indeed do a search, but between the 600 posts that contradict themselves (or have solutions that don't work for some people) and the lost posts form the crash, I figure there's some value to bringing this up again. I do it mostly, because I can't send mail either through Sprint's SMTP or Yahoo SMTP via Yahoo Plus on Handspring/PalmOne's Mail app. I'm not interested in purchasing SnapperMail or using some kind Fastmail.fm account, as I've already paid for Yahoo Plus mainly to use mail on my Treo. I need my e-mail address to show up for the receive as @yahoo.com, and not @sprintpcs.com (because I'm getting spam there, I don't want replies to go that account).

I realize that I'm kind of laying out a specific challenge, but I don't think it's something that hasn't been done before and probably by a lot of you. I thought I found the solution somewhere, but it was quite involved with finding your Vision password which is different than you Sprint one. And your Vision username which is different than your phone number. I don't think any one really showed where I can find out what either of those Vision ones are. I apologize if I missed an obvious thread covering this completely, but I have searched for close to 3 days now, I feel like it's fair to simply ask.
    The Vision username is the one in the Network settings, which you can view through the Prefs app. For the "User Name:" setting, it should have <vision_username>@sprintpcs.com. If you don't know the password, you should be able to change it online through your SprintPCS account. When you make the change there, it should update it on the phone as well, since it's required to make the Vision connection.
  3.    #3  
    Excellent call, probably helps part of my problem. On the other hand it turns out I had my vision username right (and the password I suppose) because I can send mail from sprintpcs.com without a problem. My smtp is listed as smtp.sprintpcs.com. Still no dice in connecting to the smtp. I get mail no problem. Sending still times out on me. Anyone got another idea?

Also if I use sprintpcs.com as my smtp, will replies still go to my @yahoo.com account address? Being able to send mail is nearly useless if the receiver gets its from @sprintpcs.com. They aren't going to know who I am, think it's junk, and if they reply they will send it to what is a junk mail account for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Excellent call, probably helps part of my problem. On the other hand it turns out I had my vision username right (and the password I suppose) because I can send mail from sprintpcs.com without a problem. My smtp is listed as smtp.sprintpcs.com. Still no dice in connecting to the smtp. I get mail no problem. Sending still times out on me. Anyone got another idea?

Also if I use sprintpcs.com as my smtp, will replies still go to my @yahoo.com account address? Being able to send mail is nearly useless if the receiver gets its from @sprintpcs.com. They aren't going to know who I am, think it's junk, and if they reply they will send it to what is a junk mail account for me.
    This is how I have mine configured for my POP3 account:

In the Edit Accounts Menu of the standard Sprint 1.20 mail client:

1) Create a New Account
    2) In the Name tab fill out the information for your POP3 account
    3) In the Server tab fill out your POP3 server for your POP3 account and smtp.sprintpcs.com for the Outgoing SMTP Server
    4) In the Advanced tab you want to put your PCS Vision login information

This will cause your sending address to include your SMTP information but Reply-to's will go to your original POP3 mail account.

Hope this helps as everything works fine on my T600. In fact I have 3 different POP3 accounts working just fine.
  5.    #5  
    Okay these were the steps I took, but my problem was that I had checked off the SSL required for SMTP. Once I took this off, of course it worked. Every other mail client I know seem to smartly try the non-smtp version if it fails the first time. Thanks for the help.