Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok so Treo is great, web and all. But I go to chat on instant messenger and ... every time a person sends a reply I get a message in my inbox that I got a new msg. so I have to click either ok and then go back to AIM and select "get new Msgs" or go to the alert and connect to the link.

Is there a way to take the alert off and let AIM update itself with new replies. its gets very frustrating
    What program are you using?
  3.    #3  
    im not using any program i just sign on the web, go to teh portals select aol and then sign on instant messenger. during a conversation in instant messenger everytime my friends reply, i can see it unless i press "get new msgs", and a constant message pops up that i have a message in my inbox. the same inbox you get all of the sms
    i do not think u can set the alert off if you use the AIM web version.
  5.    #5  
    is there another version. and if yes what is it and where do i get it
    use verichat (www.pdaapps.com) or chatter (sorry do not know url).
    get chatter..its much much better!
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra12
    ok so Treo is great, web and all. But I go to chat on instant messenger and ... every time a person sends a reply I get a message in my inbox that I got a new msg. so I have to click either ok and then go back to AIM and select "get new Msgs" or go to the alert and connect to the link.

Is there a way to take the alert off and let AIM update itself with new replies. its gets very frustrating
    Download a REAL AOL Interface here.. It's Free.. And uses the INTERNET not the SMS.. Your cell bill will go through the roof if you keep using that text message based im... The cell companies Prey on the innocent.. Before you know it you will rack up a $10 bill for 10 minutes of chatting....

http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

Use this.. It will pull in your existing buddy list and as long as you have an unlimited internet access it will be free..
    and for the record, as annoying as it may be that there is a $20 charge for the software, AOL for palm works quite well, including mail and messaging and other stuff/(not the free AIM version, which also works but just for messaging)

once i got over being ticked that they give their software away for everything else, why charge for this, i use this all the time and it works beautifully. of course, i get a lot of aol email. for purely messaging, i wouldn't be surprised if verichat or chatter are better, or at least as good...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I use www.imfowards.com and it works great. When I sign off on my pc AIM, it logs me on automatically, leaves an away message saying somethign like "All my IMs are being sent to my phone." When I recieve them on my treo as an alert, I can reply to them still and the window (in 1.2 update) turns into a chat dialogue. But the only thing is that I do not know who is signed on or off, but I can only chat with whoever initiates the conversation.
    AND ITS FREE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    Download a REAL AOL Interface here.. It's Free.. And uses the INTERNET not the SMS.. Your cell bill will go through the roof if you keep using that text message based im... The cell companies Prey on the innocent.. Before you know it you will rack up a $10 bill for 10 minutes of chatting....

http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

Use this.. It will pull in your existing buddy list and as long as you have an unlimited internet access it will be free..
    DO NOT USE THIS, it will cause looping resets on yoru phone. Do the search! Nobody with treo 600's use the aol aim progs on their unit, but only other third parties. Save your time and do not install it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimeeboy51
    Nobody with treo 600's use the aol aim progs on their unit, but only other third parties.
    So, after interviewing each and every one of the 28,710 TreoCentral members, you came to the undisputable conclusion that nobody uses AIM on their Treo.

FYI, I ve been using the AIM Palm client (downloaded from the UK site) since the day I got my Treo with absolutely no problems. Feature-wise it's not perfect, but definately not the trash you are describing.
    DO NOT USE THIS, it will cause looping resets on yoru phone. Do the search! Nobody with treo 600's use the aol aim progs on their unit, but only other third parties. Save your time and do not install it.
    Unfortunately, I did not listen to jimmeboy51 and installed it. It worked for a few hours but then locked up. A reset caused the looping and had to do the hard reset. Good thing I was totally backed up!
    Quote Originally Posted by gekz
    So, after interviewing each and every one of the 28,710 TreoCentral members, you came to the undisputable conclusion that nobody uses AIM on their Treo.

FYI, I ve been using the AIM Palm client (downloaded from the UK site) since the day I got my Treo with absolutely no problems. Feature-wise it's not perfect, but definately not the trash you are describing.
    I have been using my UK copy also FLAWLESSLY..... The more I read about the these flaky Treos it seems like they come from Sprint... My ATT model is great...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    I have been using my UK copy also FLAWLESSLY..... The more I read about the these flaky Treos it seems like they come from Sprint... My ATT model is great...
    Do a search on this one, that free AIM program has caused major problems on all treos, regardless of carrier. There have been many threads on it.

Another option nobody has mentioned is Mundu Messenger. It's similar to the likes of Verichat and Chatter that allow you to connect to multiple IM clients at once.
    I want to buy a Treo 600 in the next few weeks, and using AOL instant messenger (AIM) on the go is one of the main reasons I'm getting one. But there are two questions whose answers seem hard to find.

1. Are there any versions of AIM (or other third parties' software) that allow me to stay connected to AIM for a long time, even during long periods of inactivity? Can I have my Treo in my pocket during a movie, running AIM or some other software that connects to AIM, and have people send me messages during that time?

2. Does running AIM mean that I can't be reached via the telephone side of the Treo 600? In the movie example above, would the call be automatically directed to voicemail? Or would it still ring through? Perhaps calls are only sent to voicemail during the seconds when Treo is actively communicating data.

Treo experts, please help!
    Hi wvncin,

Do a search in the forums and you'll find all the info you need. This topic has been discussed so many times, nobody will take the time to reply to your questions.

Hint: Look for an application called "Verichat", and another one called "Chatter".

Welcome to the Treo f600 amily!
    I used the free aol aim on my firdt treo..but on my 2nd and 3rd replacements it caused the reset loop consistently. PITA

I will try chatter.
    Any thoughts on the AOL 3.2.1 software : http://software.palmone.com/Platform...oductId=121822

I don't want to pay for a piece of software that relies on the combine reliability of AOL and a 3rd party's software (ie. chatter's server). If the creators of chatter get bored and turn off their server I am left with a piece of junk. I had no problems with this when it was freeware (e.g. the linux AIM clients I have used)... but when you are deciding where to put your dollars, the software would have to offer a lot more than its competitors.

My concern with AOL 3.2.1 is that it does not have a demo version. So I cannot tell whether I can use my netscape IM logins (which mean far more to me than my AOL logins).

Steve
    i use it, and other than it not handling the 4-way directional button, and not clearing the previously entered text after sending a message, it works just fine. i don't know where you got your information.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast