Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    they could use the latest philips BT/WIFI chip; they could work on WIFI option any other way...

...i WANT to do VoIP/IP-Telephony with my TREO; and surf the web as it's supposed to be done...

...also, just put a ROTATING camera on the new TREO design, so that we can make video calls to our friends on laptops/desktops...

...you had your 23% share rise because you invented something new that people bought as the NEW CONVERGENCE DEVICE; you are not going to have the same success with technology ALREADY available on the dark PPC side...

...just pisses me off; the least you can do, is to deliver this vaporware SD/WIFI card, and make it compatible with current TREO600 models too. and you better put some 256Mb storage space in it, as it's already offered by SANDISK for PPC...

I agree.

I think that the treo is the best convergence device out there, and has been since the 180/300. However, each model always has a near catostrophic lack of something...

32mb or on board ram on the ace is a joke. No wifi is a joke. No rotating camera is a joke. I understand this stuff costs money, and I am willing to pay for it. I think most of us are.

At the end of the day Handsping/P1 just screw up a little less.
    -rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Ok maybe I am dumb, but I still fail to see the wifi thing.

Wifi IMHO is great for a device that surfs the net to connect without wires,(pretty simplistic I know) like a T3 or Clie or a PocketPC or a laptop, because it has no way to get online. Sensible and allows you to be mobile.

Now enter the smartphone in whatever flavor. This device has a radio that allows it to connect to the internet wirelessly as well as make phone calls. The call thing is an added bonus to the scenario above. So now you have a device that does all the pda/computer stuff and also can connect to the web (albeit slowly in some cases) and can even make calls. More than any of the devices above. Pretty cool.

Now this is how I see things. Disagree, feel free.

Why would I, if I were a company making such products, incorporate wifi into a smart phone? I mean I have to look at what I am offering already and what the addition of wifi would do to me economically. Lets look shall we.
    Ok so I add wifi to my smartphone device and immediately I have power issues. I need enough power for my radio which is always on and even more for the wifi which eats plenty too. So now I need to spend a fortune on some new battery tech to make it all work.
    Also if I add wifi to my device the phone may not get used as much because of VoIP. No biggie if you have to shut the radio off to use wifi cause you'll just miss calls. I guess thats no problem if you are trying to surf, and dont care. So why have a phone at all? The carriers might not like this either as no one will buy high minute plans since they can use their VoIP. Just minimal minutes and per byte data. They wont like that.

My point is wifi adds nothing but a bit of speed and more battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    ...i WANT to do VoIP/IP-Telephony with my TREO; and surf the web as it's supposed to be done...
    2 things:
    1 How is it supposed to be done?
    2 Have you tried wanting in one hand and ****ting in the other?

Just because you think palmone owes you just want you WANT doesnt make it so.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    WIFI = saving a **** load of money for me, LOL

At work and at home I have WiFi Access Points, so if I want to look something up, check email, check forums etc from home I have to go use my PC I can't simply grab my phone out of my pocket while sitting on the couch and look it up....

Now you may say I can use GPRS for this, but we don't all have unlimited GPRS plans like you may do in the US?, here (australia) it costs 2.2c per KB (or more) and that means a whopping $22.5 per MB, whereas if I use WiFi it is FREE (as my broadband is on unlimited plan)... Which would you prefer FREE or $22.50 per MB?

Of course maybe deals with carriers in the UK and US mean Palm intentionally do not put WiFi in or release WiFi drivers as they want us to use GPRS and pay a fortune?
    Moto's MPX, the MDA III, BenQ's P50, and Nokia's ??phone etc. are all to have WiFi and keyboards.

the second quarter 2004 baseline feature-set for smartphone/PDAs is: WifI, BT, industry standard SD slot,and a +1 meg. camera.

Not only isn't the the new Treo getting WiFi, but the specs revealed for the Ace showed that they still did not fix the Treo's underpowered irregular SD slot. So WiFi SD cards are not an option.(nor can you use most other SD accessorie devices.

foolish and obvious error.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    WIFI = saving a **** load of money for me, LOL

At work and at home I have WiFi Access Points, so if I want to look something up, check email, check forums etc from home I have to go use my PC I can't simply grab my phone out of my pocket while sitting on the couch and look it up....

Now you may say I can use GPRS for this, but we don't all have unlimited GPRS plans like you may do in the US?, here (australia) it costs 2.2c per KB (or more) and that means a whopping $22.5 per MB, whereas if I use WiFi it is FREE (as my broadband is on unlimited plan)... Which would you prefer FREE or $22.50 per MB?

Of course maybe deals with carriers in the UK and US mean Palm intentionally do not put WiFi in or release WiFi drivers as they want us to use GPRS and pay a fortune?
    i have unlim GPRS, but i don't have the ability to stream Shoutcast at 300 kbps on my Treo like i can on my laptop with wifi

i doubt the carriers are putting pressure on palmone to not include wifi. tmobile is probably putting pressure on on P1 get it into ACE.

and the ability to not have to leave the couch is key!
    Off to iPhone land...
    having said all that, there definitely seem to be a lot more bluetooth fans on this site than wifi fans. not being a bluetooth user i don't fully understood this. sure it would be nice to do without a few cables, but i'd rather have wifi speeds.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Yeah well if you get unlimited GPRS then it is less in their interest for you not to have it, here at $22+ per MB I'm sure the carriers are VERY happy the Treo doesn't have wifi, although I am seriously doubting I will be buying the Ace without it, I love PalmOS but the added cost and inability to fully utilise the device, really defeat the purpose of staying with Palm, all these major disadvantages that PPC don't have, if I didn't hate MS so much I would have switched at the start of the year and never would have bought the Treo 600....
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    but we do.

Treo has always had that mesmerizing "this is it" kind of "zennish" right feel.

It has always demanded great technical sacrifice. I still cannot believe they will have a hi res device in a few months. Really I was expecting one or two more years.

The competition up to now has managed to come up with unworkable, ugly, complicated contraptions.

And it continues. The keyboard on the MPx...designed by Saddam in his hole.

About Wifi, there's got to be a wifi card one can sick to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    but we do.

Treo has always had that mesmerizing "this is it" kind of "zennish" right feel.

It has always demanded great technical sacrifice. I still cannot believe they will have a hi res device in a few months. Really I was expecting one or two more years.

The competition up to now has managed to come up with unworkable, ugly, complicated contraptions.

And it continues. The keyboard on the MPx...designed by Saddam in his hole.

About Wifi, there's got to be a wifi card one can sick to it.
    LOL! I love the quip about the Mpx keyboard!
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Who says it really will be, I'll believe it when i see it
    My point is wifi adds nothing but a bit of speed and more battery drain.
    VoIP via WiFi is way cheaper in my case:
    1. WiFi can be free, or no extra cost if in a plan already.
    2. My buddies can call me any time for free too when I am on line via wifi, rather than paying a phone call to my mobile phone, for which I will have to pay for the second roaming leg.
    3. I travel around the world all the time, roaming can cost me a fortune.
    4. I would not be able to work so efficiently away from my offices in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Shanghai, Guangzhou.....if I have no VoIP.
    5. Having a WiFi enabled Treo will allow me to move around easily without either being locked onto my desk where my notebook sits, or holding a sily notebook in airport launge.
    Many PPCs and Palm PDA already have WiFi, so it should not be difficult.

Having said all that, I am still waiting for a good VoIP client like MSN messenger for Palm OS..
    I fail to see the need for WiFi on my phone. I have unlimited phone usage and data usage. The Ace has BT as well. I don't want/need WiFi on a mobile device that is already connected if it's going to take away from: a) battery life b) other usefulness.

I think P1 has made the correct decision regarding WiFi.

I've had a WiFi enabled PPC before and it was a battery killer and added very little functionality.
    As already noted in this thread, VOIP is here and coming on even stronger.

If I had a phone with WiFi AND I had proper VOIP software (that's a big "AND"...) then I wouldn't need any other type of phone AND the phone-with-WiFi would be WAY cheaper and more convenient to use for just about all phone-oriented needs. I, too, have a wireless access point (router) in my house - it is way cool to be able to truck a computer anywhere I want and still maintain Internet connectivity via WiFi. Give me that phone with the same connectivity and I'ma Happy Camper Supreme.

Note that most business travellers check into hotels these days that have WiFi connectivity, we all know about StarBucks (and McDonalds!), and now there is even an entire city (in Oregon?) with WiFi access over a large part of its area.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    I fail to see the need for WiFi on my phone. I have unlimited phone usage and data usage. The Ace has BT as well. I don't want/need WiFi on a mobile device that is already connected if it's going to take away from: a) battery life b) other usefulness.

I've had a WiFi enabled PPC before and it was a battery killer and added very little functionality.
    Then don't turn WiFi on, at least they could make the thing support wifi via the SD slot so us poor "loosers" (lol) not living in America with unlimited WiFi have an option to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a WiFi card that drains our battery rather than have people dictate to us that we do not need WiFi based on THEIR circumstances....

Sorry but it ****s me that we are even refused the option, and people congratulate P1 for that short-sighted attitude....
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    they could use the latest philips BT/WIFI chip; they could work on WIFI option any other way...
    I agree that WiFi on the "Ace" would be great but I may know the reason why they did not include it. I work for a local Government and we have several Treos in the hands of Department heads. One of the sales reps for the carrier we use told me about the slides for "Ace" about a month before. He said that they had planned to have Wi-Fi work SD card...he may have been mistaken..but the wall they kept running into was battery problems..the battery could not keep up with the demands of Wi-Fi...it could be that Wi-Fi went back to the drawing board due to battery problems and it is a feature we will see on future models....Maybe when we get a different battery technology in production...H2O batteries or something.
    KeNNethX - The gUy iS oUt tHeRe!
  17.    #17  
    here's another phone coming out with integrated wifi; NOT the first, CERTAINLY NOT the last...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2993/

...and while you're at it, include some DECENT range infrared cell, so we can take profit of those remote controlling apps on the treo models as well, please.

oh, one other thing; this would actually set you APART from competition, and not just stay on the same league with everyone else or try and catch-up months later...

...have you thought about integrated FAX send/receive support ?

YES, i'm being harsh, but i would hate to see you come out with a NEW model lacking important features.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600

I couldn't agree more. I REALLY hope they don't put WiFI on the ACE - a completely unnecessary way to add cost and complexity to a great device that's already well connected.
  19.    #19  
    ...i take it they can give you a cutting edge on/off feature for wifi...
    maybe when fuel cell battery technology arrives, p1 will add wifi.

what good would a wifi treo be if you could only get 1 hr or less of usage. defeats the purpose, maybe. you'd have to plug in an external battery and keep it charging while surfing on wifi.

like I said in another thread, maybe once ev-do comes along with dls speed, wifi would be less necessary. we will see.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast