Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm going to purchase an extended battery anyway. Just for the simple fact that in my experience with travelling to many countries(ie Africa, Spain, England, and Belguim) you never know when you could need some power and just can't seem to find any available. I have the Apple Ipod 20 Gb and for that I have an extended battery pack. Never leave home without it. And if I'm not mistaken the Treo is a world wide phone. I'm not for sure if Sprint or whoever provides their service the same all over the world Just to be on the safe side its good to have a backup or you'll be in for a shocking experience. I've found the Treo to be a wonderful device especially when there was no other means to get internet. I'd like to keep it that way. There's so many free wifi spots all I say is use them before it turns to pay to use spots. And to be honest I don't know how many happy laptop carrying people are out their. Maybe a few who have ultra portables. For me I have a desktop replacement which can get pretty heavy at times. Nothing better than whipping out your treo which is already in your pocket or on your hip and getting on the internet for free to check your mail or your money. If your stateside you have Sprint or someone else. But if you plan on being a worldclass traveler that just won't do. Go to Itlay and tell me what happens to Sprint. All I'm saying is its always good to have more than one way to do something. I don't plan on leaving Treo as long as Mr. Hawkins is somewhere in the picture because I'm sure he as thought about all the ways to make the Treo the best. And since the Treo is to be label as a world wide phone well if you have the GSM version it won't work in Japan. So what do you do? There is always another way. You might not be able to make phone calls but at least you could send an email. For the most part Bluetooth and Wifi is that other way. Vice versus if you have a CDMA version it won't work in Europe. What do you do? With wifi you wouldn't need a GSM/CDMA band to access the internet at least to send an email to get your message of distress across.
    Last edited by ronaldwright; 07/18/2004 at 09:43 AM.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    SD 802.11b card

I believe they finally did it. When this article was first posted they had this card to work only with Pocket pc and Windows Ce PDA operating system. But this July article says it works with Palm OS and Windows XP Opeating systems to name a few. I do believe its just a matter of moments before the treo is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi. Just as soon as I can call them to ask how much and where to buy. You'll be hearing from a very happy Treo owner if it works like it says it will. If someone gets it before me please let me know how well it works. Thanks. BTW the first thing I'll do is try it out on my home wireless network than I'll try it at Cafe Central in downtown Kaiserslatern, Germany where they offer free Wifi. Then I'll try it again at the Marriott hotel when I go to Columbus,Ohio because they also offer free Wifi. The first time I was at Cafe Central was with my laptop. The next time will be with my Treo 600.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    oh baby! my friend, the minute you score touchdown let us know, because ill be the next customer in line for that wifi card! crossing my fingers!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    IT says July 2003 ???
    That article has been referenced on these boards many times. Nothing ever came of that product...
  6.    #86  
    told you i would find a couple links a month for coming wifi phones...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C3046/

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5076.html
    Last edited by koros; 07/26/2004 at 09:12 PM.
    Now THIS is something I've been waiting for.. Only wish it were the next Treo... sigh... we'll always play catch up!

HP 6315 Picture Link:
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/images/3046_large.jpg
    While Bluetooth & Wifi are nice, I prefer the built-in keyboard and smaller size of the Treo 600.

Quick size comparison
    Treo 600 = 112mm x 60mm x 22 mm, 168g
    HP 6315 = 119mm x 75mm x 18.7mm, 190g

This is without the keyboard add-on for the 6315.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    By the way...it took HP 14 months to figure out how to fit all those radios in that device. It was that long ago that I was told they were working on it by an extremely envious HP Exec who was drooling over my Treo...
    Just exactly where do they expect you to keep the damn keyboard until you need to "snap" it on anyway?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I have switched from the Treo 600 to the XDA 2 and thought I would miss the keyboard, but it hasn't bothered me that much, I much prefer the larger screen....
    I just purchased the T600 previously had T270. So far it is great, responsive, small and great. Importantly I didn't want something too big like an XDA that I couldn't carry everywhere with me like a normal mobile phone.
    I'm also in Australia and I know GPRS is expensive so yes it would prefer WiFi but would be happy to have it as an optional card not built-in
    Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    I have switched from the Treo 600 to the XDA 2 and thought I would miss the keyboard, but it hasn't bothered me that much, I much prefer the larger screen....
    Hi, how do you find your XDA II, switching from Treo 600 ?

Any regret?

I think you must have felt the huge different of the battery life, right?

I am thinking of such a switch too. So, pls share your experience.

Thanks!
    Palm III -> Revo -> Palm V -> Clie 760 -> Clie T650C -> SE P800 -> Treo 600 -> Clie UX50 -> The Dark Side -> Treo 650 -> Nokia E61 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad
    While Bluetooth & Wifi are nice, I prefer the built-in keyboard and smaller size of the Treo 600.

Quick size comparison
    Treo 600 = 112mm x 60mm x 22 mm, 168g
    HP 6315 = 119mm x 75mm x 18.7mm, 190g
    XDA II = 130mm x 70mm x 19mm, 190g

One to look out for is Motorola MPX 300
    MPX 220 = 90 x 48mm x 20mm, 110g
    plus full keyboard but it is a clamshell
    http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro.../0,,48,00.html
    Runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Smart Phone (geez there OS names are confusing)

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Last edited by VikingBrad; 07/28/2004 at 07:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadmy
    Hi, how do you find your XDA II, switching from Treo 600 ?

Any regret?

I think you must have felt the huge different of the battery life, right?

I am thinking of such a switch too. So, pls share your experience.

Thanks!
    I don't regret it one bit, it is bigger no doubt, but I can use bluetooth now which is great especially in the car....

I thought I would hate PPC OS but it is suprisingly good, with a lot of features I wish PalmOS had, Softticks PPP and Card Export programs are not required these are standard features of the OS as they should be! and it is just as stable if not more so than the Treo 600, a lot of people around PAlm boards say it is really unstable, but I have lots of software installed and haven't found that to be the case!

The battery life is worse I will not lie, but it is not such a problem for me as it is in the cradle/charger most of the day at work, on the weekend I noticed Games really suck the power, but it charges quickly and for me isn't such and issue, the cradle has an extra battery charge slot and you can buy a second battery and easily swap it, if you are going to be without access to a power point for an extended period (couple of days) then this may be a good option!

P.S. Love Wifi support too however be warned this deos SUCK the battery fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    but we do.
    Treo has always had that mesmerizing "this is it" kind of "zennish" right feel.
    It has always demanded great technical sacrifice. I still cannot believe they will have a hi res device in a few months. Really I was expecting one or two more years.
    The competition up to now has managed to come up with unworkable, ugly, complicated contraptions.
    And it continues. The keyboard on the MPx...designed by Saddam in his hole.
    About Wifi, there's got to be a wifi card one can sick to it.
    stick a WiFi card. now there is an elegant solution on top of already big antenna. Who wants integrated everything with no antenna? They are so ugly. *yawn*
    Quote Originally Posted by scstraus
    Inferior is a tough word to be bandying about. Has any PPC vendor made a usable phone/email device that you could use constantly for 3 days? No. So yes, they've made some nice trinkets with some good specs that have spent most of their time under the coffee table with dead batteries.

I guarantee you people with treos get at least 20x the usage time with their devices of any that have WiFi.

we heard that before, why don't we wait until treo ACE come out and you stick the WiFi SD card and see if it even go 2x as long never mind 20x as long. I personally think Palm will only manage .8x at best, not even matching PPC battery capability.

Right before Palm switches to ARM powered CPU, everybody is saying Palm devices with arm will last 3-4 times as long. Tungsten will outlast those short lived PPC. and.....voila....4hrs continuous.

and T|T3? the battery life is so short it's the laughing stock of PPC crowd.

Here is the dirty little secret, PPC has the most advance hardware. Palm tries to pass small screen, less capable wireless, slower CPU, less RAM, incompatible SD slot power supply as some sort of achievement.

just wait until they add faster CPU, more memory, bigger screen, dual wireless....not just shinier paint job....

then we will talk about battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Here is the dirty little secret, PPC has the most advance hardware. Palm tries to pass small screen, less capable wireless, slower CPU, less RAM, incompatible SD slot power supply as some sort of achievement.
    But despite being inferior in darn near every category, the simplicity of the Palm makes it just so damned good at being an organizer!

Wait a sec... now that you mention it, that *does* describe why there are an inordinate amount of Mac users on these boards....
    I know this is silly but does anyone have any links to anywhere where there is discussion of the TREO "Ace" that isn't indirectly based in its entirety on the single Powerpoint slide we've all seen?

From what I've seen - and I may have seen them all! - every article either cites another site's article(s) or cite's that slide.
    Seldom, I have been asking that question and even, for nearly a month, offered dinner at the place of ones choosing for evidence of the ACE other then that afore mentioned slide. Every time I do so I incur the wrath of those that accept the slide as the gospel. I want an ACE, I will get an ACE when and if it is released.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast