Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muppetmaster
    I agree completely with the original post. Treo 600 is inferior to the PPC and that just neglegence, as it is so easy to be superior...
    Inferior is a tough word to be bandying about. Has any PPC vendor made a usable phone/email device that you could use constantly for 3 days? No. So yes, they've made some nice trinkets with some good specs that have spent most of their time under the coffee table with dead batteries.

I guarantee you people with treos get at least 20x the usage time with their devices of any that have WiFi.

So I guess it's the age old question of whether you want something practical which works or something flashy which is totally impractical. I think this issue more than any divides the palm vs. PPC camps in general. Palms have classically had long battery life, efficient use as PIMs, and have been behind in features. PPC's have had flashy screens and word processors and wifi, but last about as long as your laptop, and suffer from terrible application switching management and pim functionality (there was actually a good study of how many clicks it took to do certain tasks in symbian, palm, and PPC, and PPC was almost always 2-3x as much as the others, palm being the lowest and symbian being close and next.)

Honestly if they put out a phone with a hi res screen, bluetooth, and wifi, and it didn't have the battery life that mine has, I wouldn't be interested. Actually I'd be somewhat insulted that they would try pushing some crap like that on me. The only flashy thing I need is an MP3 player, and I have that, so I'm happy. I know for a fact that I would never use wifi if I had it anyway. .

However, I believe there will be a treo with WiFi some day, just when it's practical. And to me that's exactly as it should be.

Now, as for not having palm drivers for existing WiFi SD cards, that's just bull****, and palm needs to get their act together quickly on that. I don't know how they've managed to botch that so badly.
    i love how anti - treo people like to always say how the treo is inferior to their almightly ppc.

do you know of any pocket pc thats being carried by nearly ALL wireless companies todat? i dont. does it make sense that all 5 would carry an inferior device and pass up the " superior" ppc? makes me laugh.

there are more features we would like to see in the treo, and they are coming. but the treo still meets the majority of wireless needs all in ONE package better than any other device -ppc - on the market, and it shows with its widespread popularity. i dont think such a profile falls under the category of inferior.

but it makes me laugh to read those comments.
    maybe they are just trying to light a fire under palmone's behind to get them in gear to put these sought after features on board,
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The lack of drivers for wifi cards was the last straw to me, I honestly have had enough with whatever game they are playing....

As for battery life I understand where you are coming from, I LOVED the battery life of the Treo 600 it was honestly amazing, as for the XDA 2 in comparison your right but for me the advantages outweigh this minor (for me) disadvantage.... I have it in the cradle most of the day at work so it is a non-issue, but a new 2000mah battery is going to be released soon as an addon, slight redisign of the battery/back cover to accommadate a battery twice the power of the original (only 1000mah) but it doesn't make the phone any bigger so it will be a welcome addition....

As for OS yes I agree I prefer the PalmOS (or symbian) to MS but until they can compete on the hardware stakes then sorry I'm gone, shame as have used Palm since the original Palm Personal was released.... The lack of bluetooth, the lowres screen were big disadvantages, but the complete lack of drivers for wifi SD or even bluetooth SD was just too much for me, and I can't be stuffed waiting around so they can do the same thing with the Treo Ace or whatever it will be called, hopefully they do listen to what their customers want but since Handspring and Clie are gone I don't know how much PalmOne will innovate, or how well they will even keep up with the rest.....

To be honest I would love to see q'topia grow and push them all out of the smartphone market
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Ohh and don't get me wrong I am not anti-treo hell no far from it, but they need to wake up and listen to what their users!

do you know of any pocket pc thats being carried by nearly ALL wireless companies todat? i dont. does it make sense that all 5 would carry an inferior device and pass up the " superior" ppc? makes me laugh.
    If you are referring to mobile network providers I don't know the US situation, here in Australia the Sony P900, the XDA smartphone and the Imate (XDA 2) are all available from the major three providers (at least through business contracts) as far as I know The Treo 600 is only available from one of them, although supply issues may have caused this situation!

Actually although not anti-treo I may be anti-PalmOne LOL their warranty support is down right pathetic, they have to pick up their act!
    Last edited by joele; 07/16/2004 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    Ohh and don't get me wrong I am not anti-treo hell no far from it, but they need to wake up and listen to what their users!
    And of course relaesing new models every month or so is of course feasible because they HAVE to immediately respond to the users. BAH!

These things will come, but not just because a few people want them.

I'd also like to note that P1 may be listening to its users. The ones who think wifi is a waste and dont want it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    yeah i agree they have to become more innovative. ( wifi, bluetooth, hi res screen, 128 mbs memory) i dont understand myself why they skimp on features the way they do either. it IS frustrating. especially when they are SO close to perfection but prefer to hang the carrot in front of the donkey, so to speak. i hear ya.
    its possible that without following through on their promises that some sleeper company will come from nowhere and snatch away their customer base with a surprise do it all qwerty keyboard smartphone.
    i kind of think its bc they want their zire product to have something that the treo doesnt have, and they want their tungsten to have a feature that the zire doesnt have, making the public want to buy more than one palmone device - more money. they will find that this doesnt work. today's market wants a device that does it all and has all the finest features cutting edge tech has to offer.
    for palmone's sake, it would serve them well to realize this sooner than later
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    maybe they are just trying to light a fire under palmone's behind to get them in gear to put these sought after features on board,
    Quite right LOL. Muppetmaster owns a treo 600, after converting from a PPC he hardly used. I know this because I converted him .

However, I do feel his pain. I have a laundry list of things that PPC's can do that palms can't that really **** me off. But most of these are practical things like being able to beam normal files to PC's and things like that which require special software on Palm- things that PalmOS lacks rather than the hardware.

I know there's a tradeoff with hardware like the bulk and low battery life of the xda versus the treo. I can accept not having certain things in hardware for small size and battery life. However, palmsoft needs to bundle a lot more functionality into PalmOS to keep up. Basic things have been overlooked (ie drivers), and there's no good reason for that.. That's what annoys me more than anything.

But again, fact is, 99% of what I will use a PDA for has already been covered by palm quite a while ago, and done quite well.. For that I am happy. At least it's usable for most of the stuff that really matters.
    seeing now they now have a wifi card for the Zire72, which has the same OS as the Next Treo, maybe that card will work. I don't care about WiFi, GSM and CDMA all have better coverage. The speeds are not compairable WiFi is def faster, but why would you want to look at fast loading webpages on a small screen. and as for VoIP, it would kill your batter and talk time. bottom line, if you want WiFi on the Treo Ace just buy the SD card...
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    And of course relaesing new models every month or so is of course feasible because they HAVE to immediately respond to the users. BAH!

These things will come, but not just because a few people want them.

I'd also like to note that P1 may be listening to its users. The ones who think wifi is a waste and dont want it.
    FFS!!! LMAO What are you talking about every month they are YEARS behind, take the Sony Ericsson P800 it was realeased a LONG time (1.5 years?) before the Treo 600 and it has basic functionality for a AUS$1000 phone ie bluetooth support and it even has 320x208 screen (not needed but nice bonus).....

Who ever said anything about monthly releases anyway????

I didn't say it needs WiFi built-in or even bluetooth although it would have been a smart thing to do, but why the not at least allow expansion card support so that people who want it (non arrogant americans who dont care as they have cheap GPRS) actually have a choice!!!!

The suggestion that they want us to have a Treo600 and a Tungsten C or Zire 72 is a valid observation and another reason that Palm deserves to loose my business after 8-9 years of buying their products.

I will be interested to see whether the SDIO port on the Ace is also crippled to not allow Wifi cards, this PDA market isn't growing the smartphone market is, if you think Palm is going to come out with the kind of market share they had in the PDA market your fooling yourself, Symbian is growing (more hardware manufactures making UIQ phones and of course Nokia with Series 60+80), MS smartphones are growing at an alarming rate, a couple of qtopia smartphones are coming (will be keeping an eye on them)..... And Palm well we'll see, how 1 (well two with samsung) hardware manufactures can appease enough people to come out ahead???
    Last edited by joele; 07/16/2004 at 11:04 PM.
    scstrauss and joele i agree with you completely. palmone owns the lead for now. the treo 600 is for all intents & purposes the arguable champ of smartphones for right now.
    BUT palmone HAS to integrate more functionality in not only their hardware but in their software as well to remain the champs. no question. offering 2 out of 4 most sought after features in a smartphone is not the winning strategy. you not only give them all four, but add a fifth unexpected feature that sets the new device ahead of the critics predictions. this is how you surprise and win more customers! why cant they see this?
    toshiba and ssony backed out because palmone and a few others began dominating the market. but they will not be sleeping giants forever. i am a big palmone fan. always have been. but they have to be proactive to stay on top.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Actually Sony may have backed out of Palm handhelds but they have just announced a new Symbian phone/pda the P910 and it looks real nice, and has an integrated keyboard (something many Treo users appreciate), it does look like a quality unit, and maybe UIQ is something Sony would prefer to focus on than Palm???

I don't know about the US and UK but here in Australia it is alot easier to get a Sony P900 on a phone contract than a Treo 600, and knowing that the mobile phone market is a MUCH larger market than the PDA market, winning the converged devices market over will be achieved more through the mobile users converting to smartphones than recruiting from the much smaller PDA market base...
    I just got home from a Sprint store where they were replacing my Treo 600 because the IR did not work. I quized the agent about new products and she said..."there is a new version coming out that has no camera in it"...I replied..."the rumor on the Treo message boards on the internet is that there is also a version coming out that has Bluetooth, improved screen resolution and such"...which she replied..."that is the one, it is called the Treo ACE or something like that"...then she said..."yes people have been coming in and asking for it." At first glance I felt this was my long searched for confirmation that the product is real. Then on second thought there are a couple points that I question. She initially said it was to have no camera. The scoop we all have heard was that the ACE would have a camera and that it woudl be improved. Second if she had people coming in the store asking about the existance may she have picked up the ACE name from us asking her and that is truly us feeding info to the Sprint reps and it has gathered a life of its own. As I sat there I was ready to buy the new one as soon as it is available but upon the trip home I wonder if this is not just something that has taken on a life of its own...a technology version of an "Urban Legend"...

Glen
  14.    #74  
    ok guys, i got good news; at least it looks like it...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C3019/

...let's just hope they won't wait next year to commercialize a treo model sporting this technology...
    that IS good news. i hope sychip sports a treo wifi sd. but we will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    BINGO!!!
    I glad they might have a solution to the wifi problem. I also would like wifi and bluetooth in the Treo600. For me wifi would be cheaper than using my cell phone provider. But I think thats for anyone in Europe. But I think also Wifi will be very common around the world. Let me rephrase that. Free Wifi will be common all over the world. Check out this website.Free wifi Hotspots . There's more than this as well. I live in Germany but I travel a lot. I was just in Atlanta, Georgia staying at the Hyatt Regency where they had Free Wifi Access in all the rooms and the main lobby. I used my laptop but it would have been nice to leave my laptop in my room and after a meeting just connect to the internet via my Treo in the lobby without having to go upstairs to my room to log onto my laptop. But not just that. Almost the entire downtown section of Atlanta is a free wifi hotspot. So just image catching a cab and checking your email while your laptop stays in your room. Now I know you can do that already with a Sprint contract or some of the others but your in for a rude awakeing if you come to Europe. It won't work as easily. What would is Wifi no matter where you were.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    couldnt agree more. i would think palmone would HAVE to see the appeal of wifi in the very situations you spoke of. innovative thinking.
    the treo 600 with goodlink- SUDDENLY YOUR LAPTOP FEELS HEAVY - as palmone currently campaigns in advertising sites. this would be an undisputed fact if the treo 600 or ace had wifi.
    having wifi would require the treo owner to purchase an extended battery, but i think this is something most people would be more than willing to do.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast