Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150
    Hmm.. if you want WiFi mainly because of email, then I don't think you'll notice a significant faster speed in real life use compared to the current Sprint wireless service. Isn't the advantage of WiFi on Treo being able to surf the internet much faster? (since it's very slow with current Sprint service).

And in response to the other guy, if it's email, then the current service is fine and it wouldn't make it that much better with WiFi. I guess if u want to surf the internet, it would be an advantage to have WiFi on Treo since it's hassle to boot up the comp. But you can just leave the computer on always like many people do, or use hibernation.
    Please read my original post! The reason I want WiFi is as unlike you people in the US with cheap GPRS, GPRS here in Australia costs a fortune. The best deal gives you your first 2MB for $10 and after that it is $23 per megabyte, so for me I don't care about speed it is purely related to COST, wifi costs me nothing GPRS costs a mint!
  2.    #42  
    ...and UMTS will cost even more...

...also, how cool is that ot hotsync on wifi instead of being forced to connect to the computer ?
    ...what about accessing all kind of files through wifi and transfer wherever you are around the house ( or else ), whenever you feel like it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by koros

...also, how cool is that ot hotsync on wifi instead of being forced to connect to the computer ?
    ...what about accessing all kind of files through wifi and transfer wherever you are around the house ( or else ), whenever you feel like it ?
    But why should US buyers pay more for WiFi if we don't need it. The features you want from WiFi are there but they just cost more money to you then for us. Take it up with the cel phone carriers and gov. We have had to pay for incoming calls and were behind for a while but more competition and law changes have caught us up and in most cases surpassed pricing in the rest of the world.

Bluetooth lets you do both of those things

Although the range isn't as far as WiFi.
  4.    #44  
    ...well, IMHO wifi and bluetooth distinguish pocket computers from PDA; i am looking forward to run plenty apps wifi related other than those performing the easy tasks mentioned above...

...i want to see my treo compete in the league of the zaurus machines ( for example ), and finish them with a phone call...
    And that is one good reason why it will get more manufacturer support.

Nice, but where is the profit motivation to support it directly in the phone?
    I have read where some phone chipsets will have some WiFi eventually, but of course, Bluetooth is the cell phone local network preference considering who the sponsoring Bluetooth manufactures are.
  6.    #46  
    ...well, the profit motivation is that people WILL use it, so they will BUY it...
    ...or they will buy the wifi_SD card...
    ...or, eventually, they will buy another phone that does wifi and saves them the money the "sponsors" want them to shell out for other more expensive options and no freedom of choice...

...why do you think they put wifi on all those other devices ?

...why do you think they put wifi on all those other devices ?
    Because they dont have a phone built into them?
  8.    #48  
    right, but you have the motorola model i put the link to before, and other cellphones with wifi coming out by the time the ACE will be released...
    So buy one of them. Continually complaining that you cant get wifi wont change the treo ace or any other model. They'll add wifi when it makes economic sense to THEM not you. Sorry, you cant always have it your way. Welcome to life.
  10.    #50  
    yeah, well, i thought we were contributing to the treo community with suggestions and to give developers a real-life feel of what people want in their devices; no need to be so negative...
    right, but you have the motorola model i put the link to before, and other cellphones with wifi coming out by the time the ACE will be released...
    From what I saw of the Motorola phone it's a standard phone with WiFi capability. And a bit bulky compared to other phones available now. I don't know of any PDA phones that will be having WiFi.

I think for a cel phone company, adding WiFi is not a priority so that users can have a less expensive experience. People who buy expensive cars aren't worried about gas mileage. Most "best of" products don't have cost savings in mind. Also, the fact that you don't have WiFi and aren't able to decrease your cel phone bill helps PalmOne. If they can demonstrate that the people who use their phones are also the same people that make the most use of the cel phone carrier and are the most profitable means they can get more support for further models from the carrier. The cel phone carriers don't make their money on the phones and you don't buy a phone without a cel phone carrier. It's basic business and economic pressure. Why have the people who distribute your product make less money from your product? As much as you'd like it to be otherwise, PalmOne works for the cel phone carriers and the cel phone carriers work for us and their is no good reason a cel phone carrier would want their customers to have a feature that takes away from their bottom line. It's the same reason it took Sprint so long to get Bluetooth in their phones.
    yeah, well, i thought we were contributing to the treo community with suggestions and to give developers a real-life feel of what people want in their devices; no need to be so negative...
    Not negative, realistic.
    ok, Heres the answer to everyones problem.
    If you want WiFi, but a pda with Wifi on it. Then you can keep it at the couch when you want to surf the net while watching tv. Carry your treo everywhere else.
    Actually, maybe you could get a pda with both BT and Wifi, get the treo with BT, then access the web through the Wifi on the pda, and connect to the pda from the Treo via BT.
    viola!

But honestly, the key thing here is to take the Treo, get off the couch and enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise, did you know that over 75% of the nation is Overweight. Ya ya, me included but Im working on it!
    Sitting behind a friggen computer all day doesnt help any.

Actually, I think they need a bulit in mini projector that will show the screen on a wall so I can see the whole web page at once. Now wouldnt that be cool?

Mark
  14.    #54  
    here is another link to wifi phones coming out to add to your "it's not economically viable, people don't want it" theory...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/ntt-...-ip-017645.php

...i guess i'll be posting one or two new links each month soon...
    here is another link to wifi phones coming out to add to your "it's not economically viable, people don't want it" theory...

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/ntt-...-ip-017645.php

...i guess i'll be posting one or two new links each month soon...
    Well, there is your answer. Just move to Japan!

It would be nice for gizo lovers if the rest of the world came out with super toys are fast and as often as they do in Japan and Korea. I wonder if they could sell enough of those in the US or Europe to pay for the development costs?
    I'm just joining in on the 3rd page of discussion here, but it seems like the ideal compromise would be for wifi SD cards to work with the Treo.

I can't believe people suggested:
    A) Buying another PDA just for surfing from the couch. That's a lot of expense and wasted components (twice the physical machine) to do a simple job. Also you have to sync up another device, and potentially by a browser and e-mail client for that device. It's going to cost you another $300 and it defeats the whole purpose of a convergence device like the Treo. This is clearly not a great suggestion.
    B) Taking up the pricing of wireless plans with the cell company or the government. That plan would take years for anything to happen if even one person could succeed. In the 7 years it would take for that to get anywhere, wifi will be in everyone's shoe.

So why not let the people who want wi-fi have the option of buying wi-fi? It seems simple enough. It works for the people who want GPS now. Lots of people have GPS in their Treo (or attached) and they are very happy people from their posts. It's certainly not too much to ask the Treo Ace to accept the wi-fi cards on the market (WITH DRIVERS FOR THEM TO WORK) as Handspring promised it would with the Treo 600 (http://www.palmone.com/us/enterprise...s/treofaq.html). All I'm saying is that this time, make sure it has the power and the drivers for bluetooth, wi-fi, an IR extender to be used as a remote control, whatever.
  17.    #57  
    bmacfarland, i totally subscribe to your post; if i cannot have my ACE with built-in wifi, palmone should AT LEAST stick to their promises and allow third party release of wifi_SD cards...

...their own wifi_SD card would be just fine; please rember to put in some 256/512Mb storage space into it as well though...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    So buy one of them. Continually complaining that you cant get wifi wont change the treo ace or any other model. They'll add wifi when it makes economic sense to THEM not you. Sorry, you cant always have it your way. Welcome to life.
    Well I sold my Treo 600 (got almost all the money back, ebay is strange) and bought an XDA 2, so now have bluetooth, nice big screen, wifi (sd card) and 400Mhz processor ohh and 128MB internal memory....

Money talks and Palm have pissed me off for the last time.... no bluetooth and no wifi options (not even expansion) is a mistake!!!!!
    I agree completely with the original post. Treo 600 is inferior to the PPC and that just neglegence, as it is so easy to be superior...
    Haven't you heard of WiFi hotspots??? It's worth more than just surfing from the couch (which I can do with my WiFi laptop anyway...).
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast