Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    if you follow my above link you'll find one of the coming cellphones ( not even big PDA ) that have wifi; i guess it is possible to integrate it...
    ...i'm just asking for the option; i don't mean to keep it on fulltime.
    Ya I think we should also have a dvd burner on the next treo. That way MovieRec can copy to a dvd just like Sony dvd camcorder and then I woulnt have to buy one of those. I could just use my treo. I'd also like a tape dispenser on the next model. You can never find a piece of tape when you need it and that would be so convenient, especially at Christmas time. And the tape thing will have ZERO effect on battery life!!

I'm sure there are other things we are overlooking. Cmon people lets see those suggestions!!
  3.    #23  
    LOL...
    ...ok, you got me; i would definitely add lots of other specs but this thread specifically was only for wifi ( in the beginning ), so i'll stick to that only plea...
    Currently I use my TREO to go out and VPN into my company to allow access for me into my Routers and Switches to do administration. If I had Wifi in a meeting at work or at home I could use the WiFi piece over the slow connection of the VPN. This would be so much more time effective, rather than sitting waiting for the laptop to boot. There are many benefits to having WIFI. I for one have never used Bluetooth.
    ... have BlueTooth. Modern PDA's have WiFis. Since the Treo purports to be both a modern phone and PDA, then it is required ;-) to have both BT and WiFi.

cellphone users use BT to use headsets, swap files (movie files, ring tones etc) and perhaps chat & flirt with other BT phone users.

PDA users use WiFi for data communication, basically using the PDA as a mini Laptop computer; it has smaller size, instant on, fewer crasher & virii than a standard PC laptop.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    like I said in another thread, maybe once ev-do comes along with dls speed, wifi would be less necessary. we will see.
    Maybe we'll see sooner than later... This post claims the ACE will be EV-DO enabled. Who needs WiFi if that's the case!

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=406993

Hard to believe that they could design in a new radio so quickly, but, if true, this would give ACE a huge advantage over the competing smartphones. No longer any advantage to WiFi. This also clearly paves the way for the Treo 600 to assume the mantle of a value-priced offering for segmentation purposes (lower screen resolution, no DO, slower processor, probably $250 cheaper). Don't sell your palmOne stock just yet!
  7.    #27  
    ...good for you who can access that protocol then; in europe though, i don't think we'll have EV-DO...

...maybe they can make a GSM WIFI version ?
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    ...good for you who can access that protocol then; in europe though, i don't think we'll have EV-DO...

What about UMTS in Europe? Much better range than WiFi, and there are plenty of cell phone chipsets with GSM/UMTS, but not many with WiFi. Supposedly the data speeds of UMTS are roughly comparable to EV-DO.
    If I recall properly Sprints EVDO offering is $80 a month and only to be offered in DC and somewhere else in early 2005 and slowly make its way into the market from there...why would they come out with a EDVO Treo for such a limited market? Sanyo is the Sprint phone bobo who will make them I am betting.
  10.    #30  
    ...and there are NO UMTS phones available out there, just as there are NO operators supporting and/or marketing UMTS subscriptions...

...maybe EV-DO will come out and will be available b4 UMTS is operative here; we are talking about 1 year waiting for EV-DO to be widely available, and probably MORE for UMTS...

...we'll have a third or fourth treo realease by then; so why don't just give us WIFI now, and worry about EV-DO/UMTS later ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Ya I think we should also have a dvd burner on the next treo. That way MovieRec can copy to a dvd just like Sony dvd camcorder and then I woulnt have to buy one of those. I could just use my treo. I'd also like a tape dispenser on the next model. You can never find a piece of tape when you need it and that would be so convenient, especially at Christmas time. And the tape thing will have ZERO effect on battery life!!
    Here's another prototype pic of the Treo Ace. Woof, you'll be pleased to see that they're listening to your request. Supposedly they are still doing research on a problem with sticky keys.

As for the main topic of the thread; Maybe this would be different on a faster device like the Treo Ace, but my current Treo 600 can't even fully utilize the Sprint network with download speeds of 144Kbps. So what good would Wi-Fi do?

When I say it can't utilize it, I mean that when I browse the web, I usually see it download 100+ K really fast and then sit there for like 30 seconds "Formatting..." or processing the information it just received into a viewable format. So to me it seems a little pointless to get Wi-Fi unless the faster processor is going to greatly improve the browser speed.

I guess it's possible that maybe VoIP might not take as much processing power, but I wouldn't know.

--TechDude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TechDude; 07/09/2004 at 11:55 PM. Reason: I'm still stupid...
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    WIFI = saving a **** load of money for me, LOL

At work and at home I have WiFi Access Points, so if I want to look something up, check email, check forums etc from home I have to go use my PC I can't simply grab my phone out of my pocket while sitting on the couch and look it up....
    If you are at home or at your office, why would you want to use your Treo when you can walk to your computer instead? Think about this. Sure, it's kinda cool to be able to do it with your Treo, but it's kinda stupid, don't you think? .. when it would be must faster and be able to type, look up and see in bigger screen at your PC. The whole point of internet on your Treo is you have access to "look something up, check email, check forums etc" when you are somewhere you can't get to a PC!
  13.    #33  
    well, i have wifi at home and at my working place; along with several free hot-spots around the city...

...i would like VoIP at home on the treo, so that i don't have to sit in front of my computer and can mind other business while talking on the phone.
    ...i would like VoIP at my working place, because even if they have wifi, there is no way i am ever going to be allowed to install VoIP software on the common terminal ( 20+ people using the same ), and the wireless network is standing there unused by most of the employees anyway ( it's in place for clients who need to access the web; the idea being that we don't have time to browse the internet, and we better be doing something else instead. but we have the right to make/receive phone calls ).

... i pay a fixed price for unlimited fast internet access, and i would save money on landline communications at home, or mobile calls while on duty...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150
    If you are at home or at your office, why would you want to use your Treo when you can walk to your computer instead? Think about this. Sure, it's kinda cool to be able to do it with your Treo, but it's kinda stupid, don't you think? .. when it would be must faster and be able to type, look up and see in bigger screen at your PC. The whole point of internet on your Treo is you have access to "look something up, check email, check forums etc" when you are somewhere you can't get to a PC!
    I don't know maybe it is no use to you, but why would I get up, walk down the other side of the house, boot my PC up, receive email, shut PC down and walk back again (missing some of whatever I am watching on TV) when I could simply hit send and receive in Snapper on the Treo?

As for at work I CAN'T receive my personal (home) email on my work PC, and I don't really want to either, I prefer it on my Treo!

It just bothers me that people keep saying it isn't possible with battery limitations ETC, but work mates of mine have the IMATE 2 (also known as XDA O2 II among other things) and they have bluetooth MUCH bigger screens, 400Mhz, WIFI cards and a pretty small Li-Ion battery and they DON'T have the battery problems that apparently the Treo 600 would with all these things?
    The other day I called Wilson Elec. to see about a dongle for my Treo's ex. antenna jack. They said they didn't have one and weren't going to make one because it wa‘
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    ...and there are NO UMTS phones available out there, just as there are NO operators supporting and/or marketing UMTS subscriptions...
    I assume that you are exagerating to make a point?

OK, but there are currently operators in Italy, UK, Austria, Sweden and Denmark offering UMTS with more coming later this year, and there certainly are more different models of UMTS phones already available than there are phones that offer integrated WiFi. There will be more and more cell phone chip sets with integrated WiFi in the future, but WiFi is not really a priority for the industry right now because the profit model is still pretty cloudy IMHO. European operators have paid a large fortune for UMTS licenses, and they are much more likely to keep pushing for UMTS phones than they are for phones with built-in WiFi. Here is one source for EV-DO and UMTS information:
    http://www.3gtoday.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    I don't know maybe it is no use to you, but why would I get up, walk down the other side of the house, boot my PC up, receive email, shut PC down and walk back again (missing some of whatever I am watching on TV) when I could simply hit send and receive in Snapper on the Treo?

As for at work I CAN'T receive my personal (home) email on my work PC, and I don't really want to either, I prefer it on my Treo!

It just bothers me that people keep saying it isn't possible with battery limitations ETC, but work mates of mine have the IMATE 2 (also known as XDA O2 II among other things) and they have bluetooth MUCH bigger screens, 400Mhz, WIFI cards and a pretty small Li-Ion battery and they DON'T have the battery problems that apparently the Treo 600 would with all these things?
    Hmm.. if you want WiFi mainly because of email, then I don't think you'll notice a significant faster speed in real life use compared to the current Sprint wireless service. Isn't the advantage of WiFi on Treo being able to surf the internet much faster? (since it's very slow with current Sprint service).

And in response to the other guy, if it's email, then the current service is fine and it wouldn't make it that much better with WiFi. I guess if u want to surf the internet, it would be an advantage to have WiFi on Treo since it's hassle to boot up the comp. But you can just leave the computer on always like many people do, or use hibernation.
    I can understand people wanting VoIP and data access through WiFi but your gripe isn't so much with PalmOne as it is with your celphone carrier. In the US, unlimited data is almost standard on many plans, especially Sprint, which the Ace seems targeted for. The phone portion of the Treo is supposed to do the job of WiFi. As 3G becomes prevalent and Wifi and VoIP becomes integrated into phone networks the carriers should be offering the benefits to their customers.

Can you check your email on a treo :: Yes
    Can you surf the net :: Yes
    Can you make phone calls :: Yes
    Is battery life reasonable :: Yes

WiFi gives you ::
    - VoIP (although you can make phone calls as it is)
    - Faster data throughput (which should be available as more carriers upgrade their systems to 3G)

Bluetooth gives you --
    - The ability to have wireless headsets
    - Connect to a network
    - Exhange messages and files between phones and computers
    - The ability to synch with your computer wirelessly
    I would love Wifi because I might be able to use it around the office to connect to corporate email over a fast, reliable, strong signal. The only way to do it now is over GPRS which is much slower, and I'm forced onto an unlimited data plan from the carrier. Thankfully unlimited data plans are getting cheaper.

Additionally, wifi points are everyhwere now from the SBC park, to starbucks, to McDondalds, to my house. It's just plain faster. Currently I use SoftickPPP in the cradle to get the internet connection via my PC to send and recieve emails before I depart for the day and go mobile. Sometimes I even download and save (locally) some large web pages to take them with me.

I'm thinking I should have gotten a Tungsten with Wifi. But the GPRS friggin cool, plus, I like having the phone/pda combo.

If the wireless networks were true G3 or at least faster than 30kpbs down/20up, then I could see the argument for never including Wifi.

As processors get faster in the next generation Treo like devices, they'll be capable of even faster web page rendering, thus you'll want ot download more web pages. You'll need a fatter pipe, and until they get that pipe fatter, wifi would be convenient.
  20.    #40  
    ...ok, they are coming out with UMTS now; which means trial contracts, VERY expensive options, etc...

...i want WIFI because i want to SAVE MONEY on data and voice communications; i don't need to spend even more than i currently do for that...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast