Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought SnapperMail based on all the hype it receives, but I don't know about anyone else, but I find the built-in email application that the Treo comes with (I think some call it HS Mail or Treo Mail?) much better.

Don't get me wrong, I think that SnapperMail is a good app and has a better interface than others, but until some simple and I'm sure easy changes are made, I must continue to use the built-in app that the Treo comes with for my mail.

Why? Simple:
    (and all of these are features of the built in app)

- Ability for the app to check mail in the background. In other words, it doesn't turn on the screen or 'lock' you out of other apps while checking/receiving/sending mail like SnapperMail does. With the built in email app you can browse contacts, launcher, datebook, etc WHILE it is checking for mail. With SnapperMail, when you set your email to check for new mail every 15 minutes, this gets to be a real pain and basically renders this multipurpose device useless if you need to access something else on it (again, datebook, launcher, contacts, etc) until it is done checking mail.

- Indicator of new mail other than one that takes over your entire screen and must be acknowledged before you able to do anything else with the device. Again, this may seem petty, but it can get quite frustrating if you receive a lot of email and if you want to make a quick call or look something up in your datebook quickly you have to take the extra step to hit 'OK' and acknowledge you have email. It starts to get worse than pop-ads. The built in email app that the treo comes with has a small non-intrusive flashing * that alerts you of new mail, but also lets you do other things with the device without having to take the extra step.

Anyone else have these frustrations? I know making the LED flash as an alert for new mail has been done for one of the other email programs, but it's interface is not very good. And since the features are already in the built in app, it has to be possible. Can't SnapperMail make these two simple changes that will take their product from good to great? Can anyone make a hack? Or am I just a nitwit and these features are already in this program and I just don't know how to operate it properly?

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Bueller... Bueller... anyone?
    Everyone's needs are different. I find Snappermail was well worth the purchase price for me because of one issue: Junk v. Delete - Snappermail has it, the HS mail app doesn't. Also, the new mail indicator works with Snappermail as well as the HS mail app.

Also, I need to know whan I have new emails, so I like the notification system. I have never found it too obtrusive. But whatever works for you - great.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Everyone's needs are different. I find Snappermail was well worth the purchase price for me because of one issue: Junk v. Delete - Snappermail has it, the HS mail app doesn't. Also, the new mail indicator works with Snappermail as well as the HS mail app.

Also, I need to know whan I have new emails, so I like the notification system. I have never found it too obtrusive. But whatever works for you - great.
    Sorry, but I don't now what you mean by Junk v. Delete

Other questions:
    How often do you have it check for email?
    Is there anyway to not have the screen come on when SnapperMail is checking for mail?
    What new mail indicator are you talking about? The flashing * ? If so, how do you activate that? And can you disable the full screen notification?

I know - questions, questions, questions

Thanks
    I for one, prefer the interface of the HS Mail app.
    But Slick, you're overlooking two very important problems with it:-

1. Inability to directly delete messages off the server.
    I know that you can indirectly accomplish this by unchecking "keep messages on server." But if you do that, it would mean that you'd have no choice but to download whole chunks of email, and this may take awhile even on CDMA networks. Worse is if the message contains attachment(s). Because there is no setting on the app to download WHOLE emails (you only have sizing options), this means that the message will get truncated, and not only that, you can't even download the message again due to the "keep messages on server" being checked off. Big no-no.

2. The Email_lib oversizing problem. In a nutshell, this file gets bigger, and bigger the more you send & receive messages. You may reduce this by clearing your saved messages (inbox, sent items, filed, etc.) but the base size of the file will still be substantially larger than what it originally was. The only way to reduce this to its original size would be to delete it using a file manager (like Filez). But by doing so, you will also delete all your acct settings (think of it as a hard reset for the app). So unless you are able to overlook this (or use a workaround), you'd have no choice but to go with other apps.
  6. wwo
    snappermail is much better, not only can you delete spam email off the server, but snappermail will check multiple accounts at once. the hs app will not do this.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for your replies, but the you are not addressing the problem of Snappermail 'hijacking' the entire device when checking for mail. If you have it set to check mail every 15-30 minutes, not only does it make it frustrating when you need to use the device for one of its other purposes (it is multipurpose), it also kills the battery. Also, is being notified of new email in a less intrusive way too much to ask?

Your points are valid about Snappermail deleting from the server, but that is not my issue. As I said, by correcting these two issues I've mentioned, they can make a good product great. Until those two are accomplished I cannot use it, nor recommend it to my company. Obviously these would seem to be problems that could easily be solved since there are already other apps that have these two features, including the app the device comes with. Can Snappermail not add these in to improve their product tremendously? Can anyone make a hack to accomplish this?

Thanks
    I agree that background fetching is a sorely missed feature in SnapperMail. SM's developers have said that they aren't as interested in developing this feature compared to others because the software is intended for use on any Palm device while background fetching would likely only be built for the Treo 600 (since the 600 has a REM sleep mode that could be used to facilitate programming background fetching). General background operation on all Palm devices would be very hard to create since Palm OS (upto version 5.x) has not been a multitasking OS at the user application level.

I use SnapperMail and I basically do not use auto fetching for this very reason. Paying the price with manual fetching is worth not being annoyed by its obtrusive auto fetching.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I agree that background fetching is a sorely missed feature in SnapperMail. SM's developers have said that they aren't as interested in developing this feature compared to others because the software is intended for use on any Palm device while background fetching would likely only be built for the Treo 600 (since the 600 has a REM sleep mode that could be used to facilitate programming background fetching). General background operation on all Palm devices would be very hard to create since Palm OS (upto version 5.x) has not been a multitasking OS at the user application level.
    Sounds like time for a Treo Version of Snappermail!

Thanks for the response.
    i have a problem setting up snaermail. Mayeb you guys can help me, i want to set it up so that i can get my aol mail, but i dont know how to set it up. What should i enter for server information?
    This the main reason I am using snapper:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=51615
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra12
    i have a problem setting up snaermail. Mayeb you guys can help me, i want to set it up so that i can get my aol mail, but i dont know how to set it up. What should i enter for server information?

sm can't get AOL email.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick50
    If you have it set to check mail every 15-30 minutes, not only does it make it frustrating when you need to use the device for one of its other purposes (it is multipurpose), it also kills the battery.
    uhm, that is why there is a cancel button.

Until recently, I used the HS mail app to check two accounts, thee way it notified you of email was very obstructive. But, that was my choice.

I don't have any notification.

being the wireless activity takes more power than turning on the screen, how much more power are you really wasting?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The reason I chose SnapperMail for my Treo 180 and now for my Treo 600 is that it handles secure POP3 and SMTP connections. At the time, only Eudora Mail for Palm OS and Snapper Mail seemed to do secure. And there was no Treo 180 HS Mail app.

Does the HS Mail program for the Treo 600 do secure connections? I have actually never tried it.

Of course, none of this matters to Slick50, I guess. I do think the foreground fetching is annoying, but I thought I heard that there is a problem with using the secure libraries in the background on the Treo 600.

The notify window is just like any other notification, so it gets consilidated into the list of notifications if there are other alarms which occur after it shows up. So that part isn't inconsistent.

Oh, yeah. I check email every 30 minutes between 10am and 11:55pm. And only when the phone is off.

-Sim
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for all the responses. For those that replied to WHY you use Snapper Mail, I don't care. Sorry to be blunt, but I know the advantages of it! I'm pointing out two simple problems that make it so many cannot enjoy those advantages because of these problems. I will not deploy Snappermail in my company because of them and know of two IT guys in two other companies that concur. If they could fix these TWO things, it would solve it and then we could enjoy all the reasons you use snappermail as well!
    True, we gave reasons that we are using it, and didn't cry along with you about the problems you mentioned. But that is partly because you start off with "I bought SnapperMail because of all the hype." We are the people who hyped it, I guess, and every application has its good points and bad.

Also, I guess part of my message was about the fact that I don't notice those "problems" much, and from what I understand backgrounding secure mail connections is not possible with the current firmware/OS. (I may be wrong on that. Anyone know more about it?)

I a surprised so few people care about secure mail... But I digress into not responding to the original post again. :-)

-Sim
  17.    #17  
    Your check for promoting Snappermail should be in the mail
    (SM) IMAP and being able to set mailboxes to SD card
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Instead of having SM check for mail every XX minutes, use TreoHelper to grab SMS notifications of new mail. That way you will only be bothered by the fetch when you actually have new mail, and optionally only after the device is off (it will turn back on to fetch of course).

As for utilizing the LED, Butler (previously called TreoButler) can do this for SM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Instead of having SM check for mail every XX minutes, use TreoHelper to grab SMS notifications of new mail.
    mmm getting charged 20c by my ISP everytime I get an email, for the privillage of them sending me an SMS/Email notification, no thanks
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast