Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The built-in Mail app in the Treo 600 does secure mail metching in the background.
    Your ISP?? Its better to use an account on a server like fastmail.fm anyway. That way when you move location or ISP, you can easily keep the same address.

Will your ISP let you set a rule to forward your email to another account? You could forward your email to a free Yahoo account. Their SMS notify is free. The only catch is that the only unique thing in their SMS for TreoHelper to look for is "Fr: ". Not really a problem though.

If your wireless provider is like Sprint, you get an email account which can also SMS notify for free. Sprint's SMS has "Check Your Sprint PCS Mail!" or something like that. BTW you usually dont want to forward email directly to the wireless provider's email gateway to SMS, since if its too large it will get bounced back to the original sender.

On that note fastmail.fm will eventually get their own SMS notify. Until then I am forwarding email to my Sprint account for auto-fetches, and a Yahoo account for simple things like Ebay outbid notices. I set fastmail to auto grab all email back from Sprint and delete it every day, keeping the account from filling up. Yahoo is set to file into Trash.

Using fastmail's Sieve scripting capability, I set different rules on the folders based on time of day / day of week. During work hours most folders will notify me. After hours and weekends, only personal and eBay will notify. In the middle of the night, everything is quiet :-)
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    (SM) IMAP and being able to set mailboxes to SD card
    Again, I know the benefits, I'm talking about the PROBLEMS. 2 very simple problems that could make this product great and 2 simple problems that have to be rectified before I and lots of others can use or recommend it.

If SnapperMail developers don't want to do it, anyone out there think they can make a hack to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick50
    Again, I know the benefits, I'm talking about the PROBLEMS. 2 very simple problems that could make this product great and 2 simple problems that have to be rectified before I and lots of others can use or recommend it.

If SnapperMail developers don't want to do it, anyone out there think they can make a hack to do it?
    I think the intrusive mail check is why my Treo occasionally locks up when listening to Streaming Audio or talking on the Phone....
    I used snapper for the last 4 weeks. I love the advantages of it over the hs app. BUT......snapper kills my battery. I had it set to check every 20 minutes and half way through the day my battery would be at 30% vs 60% with the hs app checking every 15 minutes.

Also, my screen would light up randomly, very often, also contributing to the battery drain.

I also prefer the way the way the hs app displays the emails in the overview page, much clearer. I know if you put snapper into the 'scroll with your finger' mode then you get a similar view, but when you open up an email, the text is huge.

The hs app would be perfect if it supported imap, handled attachments like snapper, and gave you the SD options. Maybe hs will get it right next time.

I deleted snapper last week, and went back to the hs app. No more annoying 'in your face' email checking, and guess what, I have great battery life again!!

The negatives of snapper outweigh the benefits as of now. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next-
  6.    #26  
    Thanks WirelessJ. Now if we can get some here to stop posting the things they like about Snapper and more about what SIMPLE changes can make it MUCH better. But maybe you're right and the answer is to dump Snapper and focus the plea on HS mail?
    I agree with the points made here about background checking - Snapper is a great app and I love the IMAP support since it does save a lot of time at the end of the day. However, it is taking longer and longer to do a manual mail fetch (now around 45 seconds) with Snapper which does stop me from using the device.

I'm still pretty jealous of my colleagues who are using Blackberries - their e-mail experience is still better than Snapper with IMAP. Perhaps Snapper could look at making the necessary modifications to allow effective background checking - or at least to speed up the IMAP sync?
    Don't get me wrong, I would prefer background checking as much as the next guy but I don't find it at all annoying when using it with TreoHelper. If it ever got in the way I would just hit the Cancel button, then get the email later.

To speed up your syncs you can set an account or folder to only get unread mail or only recent mail. Getting only unread mail is very quick.

If you really want background IMAP, perhaps you should look at Chatter. Its does true push mail in the background but it is beta and does not do attachments (but will notify of attachments). Very cool app! I would use it constantly if it wasn't for the battery strain and a few missing features.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I own SnapperMail with lifetime free upgrades as I was one of the very early adopters who started using it with a Treo 270 after loving it at first sight. However, now that the built-in Treo 600 Mail app is available, the only reasons I am still using SM is the ability to delete on the server (message by message) and its ability to read HTML messages inline. If PalmOne Mail app did that, I'd dump SM because of its incredibly obtrusive fetching compared to PalmOne Mail.

Having said that, the reason SM takes as long as it does to check for and retrieve messages is actually because it keeps track of enough information to be able to delete messages on the server. So background fetching in SM would not be as quick as it is with PalmOne Mail, but it would still be more than worth it for me.
    yeh i have the same probs with it. . .
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    It is anoying .. but its still teh best out there.
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Don't get me wrong, I would prefer background checking as much as the next guy but I don't find it at all annoying when using it with TreoHelper. If it ever got in the way I would just hit the Cancel button, then get the email later.

To speed up your syncs you can set an account or folder to only get unread mail or only recent mail. Getting only unread mail is very quick.

If you really want background IMAP, perhaps you should look at Chatter. Its does true push mail in the background but it is beta and does not do attachments (but will notify of attachments). Very cool app! I would use it constantly if it wasn't for the battery strain and a few missing features.
    I've considered the Treo Helper solution with Snapper Mail, but I and the people in my company get so much email during the day, it would actually make the problem worse.

I've looked at chatter as well, and while it has the features I'm speaking of, it has a horrible UI and is lacking in many other areas. My point here is if Chatter and HS mail can have those two simple features (background checking and non-intrusive new mail notification) then it shouldn't be too hard for Snapper Mail to incorporate the same features (since it is obviously possible!) and improve their product tremendously.
    The problem with the built-in app is the lack of any real attachment support - which Snapper obviously excels at. (oops, said something nice about Snapper - probably get scolded.)
    "If you really want background IMAP, perhaps you should look at Chatter. Its does true push mail in the background but it is beta and does not do attachments (but will notify of attachments). "

how long has chatter been able to notify of attachments??? I was never aware of that feature before I switched back to verichat. that would make it worth another look for me. what version are you using?
    -- berto
    Chatter's latest beta is 108b9. Attachment notification was added only a week ago.

In reference to Chatter's bad UI: it is very configurable and has an option to make it look like your usual email client ("eMail view" checkbox in Folder Definition). I personally used the non-email view. I also thought the UI was screwy at first until I played with it and changed some options, then I found it to be very streamlined and got spoiled by it.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Chatter's latest beta is 108b9. Attachment notification was added only a week ago.

In reference to Chatter's bad UI: it is very configurable and has an option to make it look like your usual email client ("eMail view" checkbox in Folder Definition). I personally used the non-email view. I also thought the UI was screwy at first until I played with it and changed some options, then I found it to be very streamlined and got spoiled by it.
    Thanks. I'll take another look at it and see if I can't get the UI configured to be a little more bearable.
    How do you set up TreoHelper to give you an SMS when you have new mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    How do you set up TreoHelper to give you an SMS when you have new mail?
    you don't.

you set up your mail client or server to send out an sms to your treo. when the sms arrives, treohelper sees it and does a fetch.

I only use this for work and only for one person.

I have GroupWise, via a ule, send me an SMS labled "fetch" when this particular person emails me.

The SMS comes into the treo, and b4 I get the little ring tone telling me I have an SMS, treohelper (noticing "fetch" in the SMS title) has already started SM and the fetch process.

It is a great little setup.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    where does one download the newest chatter beta with attachment notification??? the imchatter website still lists a beta from february as the latest version. is the newest one pretty stable?
    -- berto
  20. PAC
    The built in mail app on version Sprint PCS 1.20 has no problem checking all three of my email accounts at once.

Quote Originally Posted by wwo
    snappermail is much better, not only can you delete spam email off the server, but snappermail will check multiple accounts at once. the hs app will not do this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast