Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    I though some of our hi-tech folks would enjoy hearing about a real world example of how PDANet saved the day for me last week. I was at a client site to demo some new software that required a live connection to my companies data center in another state. The client had setup the demo in their training room and arranged for us to connect to their T1 line. We connected to the internet fine, managed to load CISCO's VPN Client software to connect to my company, but failed when we tried to access the URL for the software running in an ASP environment. It turned out the ports we needed to get to were blocked on their firewall and their IT guy was on vacation.

    I then tried to connect with the Verizon Wireless PCMCIA card installed on my laptop, but I could only get a roaming signal with no data available. So then I tried connecting with just an analog dial-up, but it was too slow to be pratical.

    To the rescue.... I pull my Treo600 (Sprint) out of my pocket, connected it to my laptop and launched PDANet. I was immediately able to establish a connection of 145KB, launched VPN, connected to my company's host site and proceeded with the demo.

    The demo ran for almost 4 hours and during this time I never lost my PDANet connection. Needless to day the client was in awe of the technology and it looks like a signed contract is on the way.

    Bottom line..... If I hadn't had PDANet it would have been a wasted trip and lost sale.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
  2. #2  
    Nice!

    At a partner company that I visit frequently, their firewall blocks everything but port 80, so when I REALLY need to hit terminal services or the like, out comes the Treo and PDANet.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by norpah
    The demo ran for almost 4 hours and during this time I never lost my PDANet connection.
    Sometimes when I go to the library all the computers are in use. I wanted to run my laptop from my Treo, but I have been reading that Sprint will cancel Vision if you use the phone as a modem.

    I thought about getting PDANet, but have been afraid of useing it. Can Sprint tell if you have the phone connected to a laptop??
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Can Sprint tell if you have the phone connected to a laptop??
    Sprint can probably tell, but since this was an exception to the way I generally use Vision, I'm hoping it won't cause problems with my service.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by norpah
    I though some of our hi-tech folks would enjoy hearing about a real world example of how PDANet saved the day for me last week. I was at a client site to demo some new software that required a live connection to my companies data center in another state. The client had setup the demo in their training room and arranged for us to connect to their T1 line. We connected to the internet fine, managed to load CISCO's VPN Client software to connect to my company, but failed when we tried to access the URL for the software running in an ASP environment. It turned out the ports we needed to get to were blocked on their firewall and their IT guy was on vacation.

    I then tried to connect with the Verizon Wireless PCMCIA card installed on my laptop, but I could only get a roaming signal with no data available. So then I tried connecting with just an analog dial-up, but it was too slow to be pratical.

    To the rescue.... I pull my Treo600 (Sprint) out of my pocket, connected it to my laptop and launched PDANet. I was immediately able to establish a connection of 145KB, launched VPN, connected to my company's host site and proceeded with the demo.

    The demo ran for almost 4 hours and during this time I never lost my PDANet connection. Needless to day the client was in awe of the technology and it looks like a signed contract is on the way.

    Bottom line..... If I hadn't had PDANet it would have been a wasted trip and lost sale.
    You should submit this story to PalmOne's newsletter. This is the type of story they LOVE to help them sell more Treo600's!!
  6. #6  
    Awesome story!

Posting Permissions