View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Treo Ace story leaking to the world?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am happy that it leaked. I want more info now!

91 70.00%
  • I am happy that it leaked, but I don't want more info till PalmOne wants me to have it .

8 6.15%
  • I am not happy that such corporate dishonesty has taken place at the hands of someone who probably broke a disclosure agreement or simply let something leak they know should have been kept quite

12 9.23%
  • I don't care either way!

19 14.62%
  1.    #1  
    So do you really care that the Treo Ace story was leaked?

Personally I think PalmOne needs to stop trying to hold it back now and simply do a better job of keeping info tight in the future if they don't want it leaked.
    I'm on the fence on this one. Maybe something good will come out of the leak, as loyal Treo users will be able to provide more input before the real deal comes out later this fall.
    Treo Ace described in the TreoCentral article has evolutionary changes rather than revolutionary ones. There is nothing thaaaat amazing about what is on the horizon. A sharper screen and faster processor are the obvious next steps. Bluetooth is in 75% of the phones coming to market.

P1 may be concerned that the upward trend in the stockprice could halt as a reuslt. They may be concerned for competitive reasons, or they may be afraid third quarter sales of the older model will be affected.

These concerns seem relatively small when they cannot meet demand for Treo 600's already and the market is going to learn all about the evolution shortly anyway.

Basically, in my view this whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Of course.... in case wall street is reading this post....I think P1 is a strong buy because it's existing products are already a quantum leap ahead of the competition, and because an evolution off of a revolution is nearly as good as two revolutions and a civil war.
    Last edited by rosenft; 06/26/2004 at 11:24 AM.
    As a consumer and Treo nut, I'm glad to have early information as it will forstall me buying a different smartphone in the near future. Some companies leak info to impact consumer buying behavior in this way.

I'd feel different perhaps if I was (still) a shareholder. Announcing (or leaking) information about a future product can canibalize current product. Remember the Osborne? However, on this forum, most of the members have already drunk the Treo Kook Aid.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    i agree...I've already started looking around at the new technology to see if there is anything better that might meet my needs. it's very helpful to know that plans for a next gen treo are in the works and what features it may have. that, combined with a potential release date, just may be the thing that helps P1 keep the customers they currently have.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I just hope this doesn't hurt the sale of the current Treo. Some people may hold off on buying one until the new one comes out in the Fall. That'll hurt Palm's bottom line. I'm sure the Treo 600 played a major role in the monster earnings PalmOne released last week. We'll have to see...
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I agree with Quake97. I have been holding off buying a new phone/pda but was looking at T600s the other day at AT&T. No I will defiiately wait fot eh Ace...I think this is what P! is, and should be afraid of. They need continued strong sales of the T600 right up until the Ace is released. Then the T600 can move down market and the Ace will take the top seat. If we love the treos we need to support P1s decision so that they will be able to continue to build the products we love.

BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    I think the Ace is neat.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I'm not sure I see any advantage to them in keeping info like this tight lipped. As has already been pointed out, the phone is not a serious upgrade over the T600 so it isn't like they are tipping their hand to any potential competitors.

Now if they were going to release a Treo that supported DSL-like speed for data transmission, that would be a different matter altogether!
    P1 could always just lower the price of the T600's to spur sales.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    I'm not sure I see any advantage to them in keeping info like this tight lipped. As has already been pointed out, the phone is not a serious upgrade over the T600 so it isn't like they are tipping their hand to any potential competitors.
    Again, this still affects sales, regardless of whether or not it's a serious upgrade. It also puts PalmOne in an uncomfortable position:

1. People are now expecting a new unit soon, and may hold off on their previously planned purchase just for something newer (you only want to spend $600 once... may as well get the newer one)
    2. If the new unit comes out and doesn't match the specs, people walk away angry and feeling betrayed
    3. If the new unit comes out 10 months from now due to a parts shortage, you have people angry that PalmOne doesn't release products in a timely manner
    4. Pocket PC smartphone manufacturers now get a lot of free market research reading forums like these, finding out what people want and don't want based off the specs

It's not a good position to be in.
    I agree with most comments.

I was affected by the release of this information as I now am considering not buying the current model and waiting for the next.

Really of 2 minds given I believe thephone cost for the current one will drop enormously once the new one releases.

Should I buy the cheaper unit and save money with a decreased capable unit.

OR

Should I hang in their and buy the newer version for more money.

It's not an easy choice to make given the money involved.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Of course everyone is assuming this is the for real deal! Probably just another T610 hoax, etc.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  14.    #14  
    It's not a hoax. (I could be wrong, but I doubt it.)

Given all the people who say they were "thinking about" buying a 600, it looks like the news has already affected T600 sales.

Best thing P1 can do at this point is be open with it and try to get the next version to market ASAP. Better that they control expectations with the truth, instead of rumors leading people to think most anything.
    Those who wait for the next generation of any technology can continue to wait virtually forever because there will always be a newer model coming out.

PalmOne has already said that there will be several models of Treos available, and that makes good business sense. It covers several points on the price / performance scale and increases the potential market. Also, PalmOne usually announces new products in the spring and fall, so I would not be surprised to see at least one new Treo model this fall and another next spring.

If the current Treo fits your needs, just get one and enjoy it. If not, wait and see what happens. If you can't afford one now, wait and the price will drop on the current model as prices of all high technology eventually drop.
  16.    #16  
    Hearing that the article was "pulled due to threatened legal action from one of the nations largest wireless carriers" changes things a good bit. Now we know that no agreements were violated by the release of information about the Treo Ace.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Hearing that the article was "pulled due to threatened legal action from one of the nations largest wireless carriers" changes things a good bit. Now we know that no agreements were violated by the release of information about the Treo Ace.
    No agreements by TC, but what about agreements signed by the guy who snapped the photo of the Treo ACE picture?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenft
    Bluetooth is in 75% of the phones coming to market.
    Where do you live, Europe? ;-) I still can't get Bluetooth in my phone because VZW doesn't offer it and T-Mobile are f---ing pansies who won't compete with VZW's coverage.

These concerns seem relatively small when they cannot meet demand for Treo 600's already and the market is going to learn all about the evolution shortly anyway.
    I think their concern is that PLMO committed to selling a lot more Treo 600s, and if the news about the Treo 610 kills their sales then they'll be producing a lot of unsellable 600s as well as screwing with their profit forecast.
    Last edited by mfowler; 06/28/2004 at 12:31 AM.
    well, here in the UK the treo was available in October 2003 and most service providers here tie you into a 12 month contract, therefore I'd be very surprised if this new ace was available before October. Presumably Palmone will be hoping a lot of existing treo owners upgrade and as they won't be able to do that until October at the earliest then it won't be avilable before then. Don't know about you folks in the USA, what sort of contracts are you tied to ??
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    No agreements by TC, but what about agreements signed by the guy who snapped the photo of the Treo ACE picture?
    Obviously PalmOne didn't have a problem with that. They have not said "NO" to TC posting it. They knew TC was going to post the story and other details with that photo.

The person who took the picture probably never had to sign anything.