Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why does Palm refuse to give us more RAM? It can't be cost. It is not a big cost difference between 32 and 64 mb. Is it something in the Palm OS?

JC
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've got more 3rd party software than I know what to do with on my Treo and I've still got about 10 megs free. 32 is plenty for me. -I still use an SD card for backups and mp3's however.
    I thought 32MB was going to be an issue after being on PPC.

I've found two things:

1) Palm apps are small.
    2) ZLauncher makes it a non-issue for apps I don't use often.
    Last edited by Rob600; 06/25/2004 at 11:27 PM.
    64MB is only necessary if you like to go crazy with 3rd party apps. Put what you need and use frequently on RAM, put the less important stuff like games onto memory cars, and u got plenty of space. 24MB user accessible is perfect, 51MB user accessible is merely a bonus, an unnecessary one for users that the Treo is marketted towards.

I figure when I get my Treo, I'll have all my essentials on the RAM, Docs To Go 6 Prem, Repligo, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Verichat, Card Export II, Agendus, Times (a versatille job-project time tracking prog), Avantgo (+ 1MB of webpages), and entertainment: Bejeweled, WordPop, Solitaire, Lemonade Tycoon, and Kinoma or MMPlayer, I should still have at least 8MB free, allowing for PIM databases, individual program databases, etc. I have all those things except Verichat (don't have wireless data yet) and Lemonade Tycoon (on SD card atm) and I have 3MB free on my 14MB user accessible Tungsten T.
    I found a big space saver is that D2G 'sub-apps' (SS, Word, Present) can go on the SD. Only the Documents apps has to stay in RAM.
    Right now the only way to record Video is directly to memory - it's the only thing that can keep up with decent frame rates. So the more memory the better! The difference between 15MB free and 47 MB free is the difference between maybe 25 seconds and 75 seconds of video!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    I found a big space saver is that D2G 'sub-apps' (SS, Word, Present) can go on the SD. Only the Documents apps has to stay in RAM.
    You, Rob, are a God-send.

That just so totally made my day.

4.8 MB free, wow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt
    Why does Palm refuse to give us more RAM? It can't be cost. It is not a big cost difference between 32 and 64 mb.
    And you know this, how?

Let's assume the difference in cost between 32 and 64 mb is $1 per unit. Not a big cost difference, yes?

One of my former employers was a consumer electronics company -- with mass-market devices, $1 a unit difference in cost is a huge amount. I've seen features cut on $500 devices because of a 50 cent per unit savings.

Here's why: If you figure PalmOne expects to sell 1 million of these in a year, $1 a unit more in costs translates to one million dollars less in profit. Do you think that upping the memory to 64mb would generate enough extra sales to make up that one million dollars? How many additional people would buy it if it had 64MB but not if it had 32MB? (Especially since you can add as much memory as you want via SD.)
    Just remeber, hi-res apps mean more space needed. For those of us that are close today with our Treo 600, this can be an issue.
    Gotta get this guy going on a T600/Ace version!
    http://www.palmpilotupgrade.com/about.html
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt
    Why does Palm refuse to give us more RAM? It can't be cost. It is not a big cost difference between 32 and 64 mb. Is it something in the Palm OS?

JC

I recall reading in one of the posts (maybe Indicator?) that PalmOne was going to integrate automatic ram backup features on the Treo Ace. Thus it's possible the next Treo may use a similar static ram based proc as found in the UX series which prevents you from losing all your data with power loss. This would be awesome b/c it would nullify the need for a SD backup program and would be a very smart move by PalmOne.

FYI, The Samsung i550 is also supposed to have this automatic ram backup feature as well... A real necessity for any pda-phone imho...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I heard about automatic ram backup to - I had it in the original story, but I took it out because I couldn't get a secondary confirmation of it. (And you thought we just posted anything on the front). PDABuzz also reports that there will be an automatic ram backup feature. The way that I read it is that there will be an extra 24-32 MB of non-volitile flash memory. Most people will probably use it to store extra applications, but PalmOne may also include a backup application to keep either full copies of whats on your Treo or copies of your contacts/calender/settings data so that in the event of a hard reset you can recover instantly. Sony Clie's have had extra flash memory for a while I think, but nobody has done this backup idea.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I say if Apple can put gigs of space in the IPod then PalmOne can put more space in the Treo. I want enough space to hold some of my music, maps for my GPS and so on all on the Treo's internal drive. I'm juggling SD cards just to load what I want when I have to use it at this point.

With 32MB of RAM I can't even load a single CD's worth of MP3s.

No 32MB is not enough, but I still want that Treo Ace .
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    You, Rob, are a God-send.

That just so totally made my day.

4.8 MB free, wow.....
    This sounds great, but which files are the ones that need to stay in RAM? Are you refering to any file that has Docs to go in the title as having to stay in RAM? Also, where on the card does the movable ones go (is it:/palm/launcher)?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    And you know this, how?

Let's assume the difference in cost between 32 and 64 mb is $1 per unit. Not a big cost difference, yes?

One of my former employers was a consumer electronics company -- with mass-market devices, $1 a unit difference in cost is a huge amount. I've seen features cut on $500 devices because of a 50 cent per unit savings.

Here's why: If you figure PalmOne expects to sell 1 million of these in a year, $1 a unit more in costs translates to one million dollars less in profit. Do you think that upping the memory to 64mb would generate enough extra sales to make up that one million dollars? How many additional people would buy it if it had 64MB but not if it had 32MB? (Especially since you can add as much memory as you want via SD.)
    I understand this logic, but at the same time, they could charge $5 more for each unit and make more money. Sure you can say less people would buy it at $5 more, but I don't know of any studies proving that.

To do your math 2000 more people worldwide would have to buy the device to make up for the extra cost, which I think is a pretty safe number to hit. Remember that this device (if it exists as we assume) has apps that can use memory in mass (mp3, built-in video recording).

For your last point about adding more memory, I would even be discussing this if the additional memory is the same as the on-board memory, but it's not. Certain apps need to run on memory (or require the purchase of another program to run them). Mapolis maps have to be in main memory and they are huge. OS updates have to be in main memory and they are sizable. One of the key selling points of the phone is it's usability, but the memory management is anything but easily usable.
    Mapolpolis is the one true example of this issue. Though I still think it's a design flaw on it's product, maps need to be on internal memory to run. Go on a long trip and forget about it. Now I don't understand why a map can't run on a SD card (it's not like your changing data in the map) but with some maps being well over 5MB the current memory issue is an issue.
    Mapolpolis should work with SD cards and hopefully they will make an update to the software that can. But on the other end, the Treo needs more internal space. The Treo is one of few computing devices that has advanced technologically, but has not made similar strides in internal storage capacity. If the Treo were increasing in internal space at a rate proportional to it's other technical advancements the Treo Ace would have AT LEAST a 1GB drive.
    I don't need a 1GB drive for my Treo. That's what SD cards are for. I don't want to even imagine how expensive the Treo would be with a 1GB HD in it. If you want a laptop or XP Palmtop, go for it. This is a smartphone, and for most smart phone users, 32MB is enough. I'm on a 16MB Tungsten T and loading my necessary apps on RAM, it's already enough. My girlfriend's Zire 72 has 32MB and she's doing fine, although she is more of a regular PDA consumer than a hardcore PDA consumer like us.

Some of you always want it all. Why should I fork over $700 or $800 for a unit that could only cost $600 with what I need?
    If I could run all my apps on a SD card I would. Besides some speed, internal memory has no more advantages than a card. The problem is that not all apps work on SD cards which can eat up internal memory quite fast.

If you want a Gig of memory for MP3's and such just buy a SD card for $300 or so. Although I too use my treo as an MP3 player, I understand that it's a much more complex design than an iPod.
    I would prefer 64 and be willing to pay a premium. Also, I would like the ability to put shortcuts to apps on the card in my main program screens rather than having to go to CARD in the dropdown to access them. I like to put all my frequently used apps icons on one screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast