1.    #1  
    Got this email today...

"I filed your email in a follow folder. *I am not sure if I answered you email previously. *If I have not, I am extremely sorry for my delay.
    The good news is we have a modified ETY-COM ER-22T (TREO Compatible) in our inventory today.
    Have you returned your ETY-COM? *If not, I would like to send you a RMA number to switch units.
    If you have returned your ETY-COM, I will send a modified ER-22T unit. *The cost is $69.00 and with free shipping.
    I would like to send a complimentary pair of ER-20 Hearing Protection for you to try.
    I look forward to your reply."

Ill let you know how it goes, but Im very happy I didn't waste any money!

For those that didn't have the original, the etycom is a great noise canceling headset, but it would drop calls on the treo. I highly reccomend this if the treo compatibility has been fixed. Ill let you know when I get my replacement.

2.    #2  
    Im mailing it out today...so Ill let you guys know what happens.
    I also ordered it and will report back after it arrives. When I have a bit more time I'll post details on what caused the original hang-up problem -- very interesting story.
  4.    #4  
    Please do, I'd love to know....
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    I also ordered it and will report back after it arrives. When I have a bit more time I'll post details on what caused the original hang-up problem -- very interesting story.
    Remember when there were all the threads about slamming a car door causing the Treo600 to disconnect the call when a headset was used and the car's windows were closed?

This was due to the Treo thinking the low frequency pulse caused by the rapid air pressure change was a press on a headset disconnect button.

I'll guess that the ety had really really good microphone low frequency response, and certain syllables gave enough of a low frequency pulse to do the same thing.

Bill S

ps I love my ety 4 headsets. Great company to deal with as well!
    In brief, what I was told was that light-induced attenuation at the microphone was interpreted by the Treo to be a hang-up signal (I think the engineer said it was only 5-10 db's). By elminating the clear housing around the mic (and using a very dark material), the problem was eliminated.
    Anybody have a link?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    So, anyone have this yet?

If so, thoughts?

I got one, but have not been able to get completely comfortable with it - even so, it's such a great company & product, I figure it's probably just me.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Anybody have a link?
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/etycom.asp
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I would suggest calling to make sure you get the correct model - new one esp. for Treo. It's the ER22T.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I've decided to keep working with mine for a few days. People on the other end say sound quality is *excellent.*
    I got mine on Wednesday -- just before a 4-day trip for which I needed a headset. So far I am a believer. Comparing it to the Shure headset, which I also use, the voice quality of the microphone and the isolation of the earphone are both superior. The mic is the biggest improvement, as I can virtually whisper now and it's pretty clear. I'll post again after I've used it a bit longer. One more note -- I do find the Etycom a bit harder to insert into my ear than the Shurespot, but with no wrap-around piece, it about evens out.
  13.    #13  
    Got mine. Seems to work great so far.

Thats good CS, in my opinion.
    I received my ety.com this week and have been playing with it. One thing I've noticed is that even with the Treo's volume set to the minimum, the Treo overdrives the earphone and distorts. Anyone else experiencing this? Other than that, it seems to work fine.
    Well, I've had the headset for over two weeks now and my observations are the following:

1. Take some time to figure out which ear piece fits you best. You need to find the best compromise between tight fit and easy insertion.
    2. The isolation on this headset is definitely superior to the Shure, but the Shure sounds better and is louder (I routinely use 3 volume bars for the Etycom and 1 or 2 volume bars for the Shure).
    3. The microphone is very good -- superior to the Shure, but not as good as the Boom. It's good enough for me, as it will work in areas so loud I have a hard time hearing the caller, though I have not yet tried plugging the other ear with one of the attenuators Etymotic supplied for free with my order.
    4. The microphone usually stays in place fairly well, but is not as secure as the Shure with its soft rubber over-the-ear piece.

Overall, for me it's a tie between the Shure and the Etycom. As the Shure can be bought for $22 on eBay, I would recommend it over the Etycom for all but the loudest environments, where the Etycom's superior mic really shines.
    Talked to Etymotic today. They are expecting new shipment of Treo 600 friendly headsets in about 3-4 weeks. The new version will have a dark mike that is not affected by light.

BTW, I plan to replace my ageing Plantronics with the new Etymotic model but I will be replacing the stock earpieces with a custom ear piece (see attached pic).

Windy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg pt.jpg (320.7 KB, 136 views)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    Well, I've had the headset for over two weeks now and my observations are...
    Thanks for the review Curtiscarmack. You touched on a comparison with TheBoom, insofar as the microphone. How about a comparison between the Ety and TheBoom in terms of speaker quality and comfort? I've been using TheBoom for some time now and, while the mike quality is excellent, I find the speaker to be less than satisfactory. I also find TheBoom to be awkward to wear- not real stable when in position. The Ety looks like it would be more comfortable.

Thanks.
    Why is it that the best noise cancelling headsets out there like this one and the Boom never have Answer/End buttons on them? I have quite a few normal headsets such as the plaintronics boom, but they don't have noise canceling built in.

I would buy one of these headsets right away, but having a treo in my horizontal leather case, and having to pull it out just to answer a call is too annoying for me. Doesn't this bother any of you?

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by FollowDan.com
    Why is it that the best noise cancelling headsets out there like this one and the Boom never have Answer/End buttons on them? I have quite a few normal headsets such as the plaintronics boom, but they don't have noise canceling built in.

I would buy one of these headsets right away, but having a treo in my horizontal leather case, and having to pull it out just to answer a call is too annoying for me. Doesn't this bother any of you?

Dan
    Dan, a lot of us are bothered, but the only really good headset I've tried that has the button is the Bang & Olufsen, but it's even more expensive than the Boom and not as comfortable as the Shure or the Etymotic. I have complained to Shure and Etymotic about this. I hope they get to it eventually. In the mean time, the Shure is my favorite most of the time, but I use the Etymotic if I need the headset in place for more than an hour at a time, as it's a bit more comfortable.