Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97
    If in fact PalmOne put a hush order on treocentral for releasing the information, they need to get over it. First and formost. This site is for treo enthusiasts, and it is because of this site, the changes that are wanted were added! We want and demand access to info!

PalmOne? Are you afraid that a compeditor will steal your design? Well I personaly wouldn't accept a cheap knockoff. I have been a loyal palm owner way back to the treo90. I have owned them all. I still have a 90, 300, 600 and will add a 610/ace whatever, when you let us have them. I'm 100% possitive that give the chance. about 95% of the treo 600 users would trade up if you were to offer it to them today.

You really need to offer a decent trade in for the 600 twards the new version. being all the issues around the 600 and being as new as they are.

I thin that they are not releasing the new version, they want to sell the 600's they have for $449 then give you a $50 - $150 trade in for a 2 month old unit, and sell you the new version for $599 that means they have sold you a unit for $899.. I smell BS... My 2 cents... Anyone interested in a treo.. Dont buy the 600. Make them release the new version.

PALMONE DO NOT SIT ON THE NEW TREO, JUST TO FINISH SELLING YOUR STOCKPILE OF 600's!

Chalk it up as a learning experence and let us have what we asked for.

<rant off>
    I can't say that I would blame PalmOne for wanting to sell their exisitng stock of 600s before releasing ACE. This is just good business sense. Furthermore, we have no reason to beleive that they are actually "holding back," as opposed to just finishing proper Q&A and getting through carrier testing.

Personally, I am really excited about this new product, and happy to know, with some certainty, that it probably exists, and may well show up in Q4 on Sprint.
    I don't find the Treo ACE rumor to be so unbelievable especially with the MDA III/Daxian CU928 coming out.

Going off the assumption that this kind of rumor was going to hurt their Treo 600 sales why wouldn't Sprint and PalmOne could just come out and say that it's all untrue. They could say all of this is just a rumor and there is no Treo ACE coming out and be done with this scandal. But they haven't… They haven't denied anything.

Why would the Treo ACE hurt sales of the T600?
    So often we forget that all of us on this board are living on the bleeding edge of technology. We are at the extreme end of the spectrum, and not everyone thinks or cares about the stuff we do. The Treo 600 was the first geeky phone to really be accepted by the masses in my opinion and it was interesting to see businessmen as well as moms holding one. Do they care that they could install MovieRec, SoundRec, Dir Assitant or FileZ? My friend who is a VP at Cisco bought one and didn't even know the thing could play MP3's.

My guess is that Treo 600's will continue to sell well because the majority of potential buyers will look at the Treo 600 and the Treo ACE and think, "Hmm they look the same but the Treo 600 is $150 cheaper".
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97

PALMONE DO NOT SIT ON THE NEW TREO, JUST TO FINISH SELLING YOUR STOCKPILE OF 600's!

Chalk it up as a learning experence and let us have what we asked for.

<rant off>
    There's a stockpile? This is from the TC report on the recent PalmOne conference call:

'Treo sales were so strong this quarter, that again PalmOne was unable to meet demand. Today, and for the previous quarter, there is a 4-6 week wait to receive a Treo 600 from any carrier when purchased through PalmOne...

PalmOne has great hopes for the Treo, and have increased their engineering resources to create a family of smartphones, and advanced applications for smartphones. In the immediate future, they will continue to ramp Treo 600 production to fill the backlog of orders. That said, strong demand could out do the supply again in the current quarter.'
    I've noticed lately that lots of non tech friends have been getting Treo 600s. Even one who has trouble operating her fax machine. Maybe there is something to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    There is no evidence that average anybody is buying the TREO 600. PalmOne continues to talk about WANTING to sell to "prosumers" and mainstream customers.
    Last edited by manorton; 06/29/2004 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo fix
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Hey lvigp, you can disagree with someone without personally attacking that person. Chill out. Posts such as yours reveal more about the poster than the person being attacked.
    Hi,
    I am just pointing out that someone who is proven that they have no reliability and wants to post idiotic replies does not need to keep posting. This is truly not a personal attack. To start a thread to mess with people definitely would deserve it (which is what he did). No I am sorry mgauss does not "rock", I always thought that snerdy had more sense. I am chilled, but I am at a point in this forum where I am tired of the same questions being asked over and over again (without doing a search). Also you get the same complainers (such as seldom visitor who does not even own a Treo and mgauss who thought that they were getting a hi rez screen before they purchased it). Maybe I do mean to attack. I am unsure. How can you argue with Miradu who has been a part of this forum and has written a review of the "ACE". I definitely believe hime and appreciate his review.
    PalmOne has the same sorts of problems Apple Computers has, rumours are damaging to sales of existing products and can lead to a diminution of demand prematurely.
    Paul you are absolutely correct,

I was just thumbing through my old B-school textbook "Management mistakes" and there is a chapter devoted to Osborne computer whose founder bragged at a conference about the much improved next model coming later that year. As a result, sales of the existing model came to a screeching halt and the company did not have enough cash to weather the sales downturn and went bust within the year.
    Now this may not be an exact corollary to Palm one's situation, but it certainly can't do much to help the sales of their existing products and at the very least it weakens the price premium they can command for the existing 600s.

I don’t blame them for trying to squash the rumor. That being said, I still want an “Ace” and am scrounging for any scrap if info I can get on it
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    here is a clue -They Are Not Listening
    lol
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    Palm one is not going to release the new treo becasue the 600 is still selling HOT and is the number one product once that changes they will release the new one.
    DealScanner
    Quote Originally Posted by rich644
    Paul you are absolutely correct,

I was just thumbing through my old B-school textbook "Management mistakes" and there is a chapter devoted to Osborne computer whose founder bragged at a conference about the much improved next model coming later that year. As a result, sales of the existing model came to a screeching halt and the company did not have enough cash to weather the sales downturn and went bust within the year.
    Now this may not be an exact corollary to Palm one's situation, but it certainly can't do much to help the sales of their existing products and at the very least it weakens the price premium they can command for the existing 600s.

I don’t blame them for trying to squash the rumor. That being said, I still want an “Ace” and am scrounging for any scrap if info I can get on it
    same thing happened when they released info about the 600 half a year early
    DealScanner
    Rich, there is a common business phrase that simply stated is "Sell what is in the wagon" meaning there are no leaks, there are no sales people that get advance information, and there are no people in marketing that talk about things to major accounts, the press or to their friends and family. Loss of employment and never being able to work again in your field, lawsuits by the SEC and general shame are a pretty good reason why product leaks do not happen. Just another reason I doubt the viability of this new version of Treo. Still offering a free dinner (no not a fast food joint) to the first person that can give me hard fast proof of the new Treo with Bluetooth and the improved screen...
    "...product leaks do not happen." Wow! What planet do you live on? Product leaks are a way of life for some folks. It's kind of like saying, "Going to jail, loss of employment, and being investigated by the DEA," means that drug deals "don't happen."

In my 17 years of working in and around technology product manufacturers, product leaks are a near universal constant. Techno weenies that we are, let us all cast our memories back over the years and try to recall a single consumer electronics product that no one had advance information on until the moment of product release...
    About 6 minutes after their earnings call began the CEO of PalmSource said they expect Cobalt devices to ship early 2nd half fiscal year 2005. That is not this fall.
    Since the the end of the 1st half of FY2005 is November,
    and since Winter doesn't start till Dec 20,
    and if someone delivers at the earliest the stated time frame,
    Then the first available cobalt device would technically arrive in the Fall.
    Last edited by slam; 07/09/2004 at 12:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slam
    Since the the end of the 1st half of FY2005 is November,
    and since Winter doesn't start till Dec 20,
    and if someone delivers at the earliest the stated time frame,
    Then the first available cobalt device would technically arrive in the Fall.
    Actually Slam, 2005 Fiscal year is July 2004 -June 2005 so 2nd half of fiscal year is January 2005. 3rd quarter Jan-Mar, 4th quarter Apr-Jun, so if they want to ship early 2nd half fiscal year then we are really talking probably Late January, early February at the best. So we are talking around 6 months.

That only means that verizon wont get their Ace until July 2005! That sucks! I will buy a 600 this month when they come to verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    Actually Slam, 2005 Fiscal year is July 2004 -June 2005 so 2nd half of fiscal year is January 2005.
    As it turns out the fiscal year starts June, not July:

-- http://www.palmsource.com/about/ir_faq.html#q10

My bad.

As such "early second half fiscal 2005" could be as early as sometime in December. That is, BTW, way too late for the Christmas season (and, in my very experienced progammer's oh-so-humble opinion, VERY unlikely for a device without so many bugs that it would be unusable). Since it is too late for the big Christmas sales season I would think it would make sense for the device manufacturer NOT to try to attempt a rush job.
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    That only means that verizon wont get their Ace until July 2005! That sucks! I will buy a 600 this month when they come to verizon.
    I'm not sure how you reached this conclusion.
    based on the amount of time it takes for verizon to test and approve a handset, track record, release of 600 (there is no way they are going to release a 610 4 months after the 600, unless there is a significant difference in price) and a little guestamation.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123