Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    well i dont care if they have covered it up i just want it to come out quickly i cant wait i have had must treos and other pda's and phones or combos just dont match it
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97
    I'm 100% possitive that give the chance. about 95% of the treo 600 users would trade up if you were to offer it to them today.
    I guess that figure is based on all the incredibly accurate and measurable market research you have conducted on Palm's behalf?

PalmOne? Are you afraid that a compeditor will steal your design? Well I personaly wouldn't accept a cheap knockoff. I have been a loyal palm owner way back to the treo90.
    You can bet your bottom dollar they are affraid. This is going to turn into a VERY competitive playing field. If they are not ready to launch, why would they want to give their competitors time to possibly change their designs or figure out ways to sell against it? In my company we don't release product information until products are ready to launch. We don't believe in opening the kimono and giving our competition the upper hand. Also, we change things right up until a few weeks until launch, so what you might see at one point may not be in the end product. That would make "pre-release" information innacurate. AND REMEMBER THIS - while you might be a loyal Palm user, the majority of people will migrate to where the most features for the least cost is. It's the nature of modern-day consumers - so don't kid yourself.

I thin that they are not releasing the new version, they want to sell the 600's they have for $449 then give you a $50 - $150 trade in for a 2 month old unit, and sell you the new version for $599 that means they have sold you a unit for $899.. .
    I guess you are properly informed of all Palm's current cost structures of the new unit and you are aware of the company's target margins going forward?

PALMONE DO NOT SIT ON THE NEW TREO, JUST TO FINISH SELLING YOUR STOCKPILE OF 600's!
    Hey! News Flash! PalmOne is a business!!! That's right...the only reason that they make these devices it TO MAKE MONEY! All successful businesses manage their inventories and try to eliminate waste wherever possible.

I don't mean to start a flame war. But your post is not realistic. It's a rant and granted you marked it as so...but come on. Don't throw out meaningless figures. I to am anxiously awaiting the new unit. When the time is right...and hopefully it has passed rigourous quality testing...they will release it. Until then...what can we do?
    BigTex, because the only things we have are rumor, totally unfounded, and if TreoCentral does have a NDA then they can not, repeat CAN NOT, be basing it on any information of any authority from Palm. Second, the "photo" of the device was a doctored graphic that any 12 year old can create. Third the product info picture that was posted is a digital photo of a powerpoint screen. Why not have the original powerpoint slide with authoring info in the file tags that I or we can verify. I am just saying give me rock solid proof...is that too much to ask.

Let me close by saying many on these boards savaged a poster called tpinfo for saying he had bluetooth working on his Treo 600. Many of those same people are fueling the rumors here on the "Ace" version without coming forth with their own proof. If this device does exist I will be among the first in line for it and no doubr Palm has a development department that has things in the works but this is to quick for them to be adding or replacing the product. Thnk about this also...if their true "sweet spot" in the market is the business user and they just are preparing the Treo 600 sans-camera woudl it not make sense for them to incorporate these advancements into the new Treo without the camera. Or if that is not the case why woudl they STILL put a camera in the new replacement for the Treo 600 if the business community were concened with the liability of the camera (as so many have stated) and the technological hurdles including the camera with the multi-radio setup. HP is about 2 years behind their release date for the Ipaq that has BT/WiFi and Cell all three in the same device. It is not easy to do.

I am now off my soap box and ready to listen...
    Glen
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Nope, not a real functioning one BUT legitimate info not something that gfunkmagic has spread on other boards as saying he learned of from us a FULL WEEK before it showed up on Treo Central.
    Umm...what on earth are you talking about? After you accused Gfunk of creating rumors (as well as accusing him of other things) he supplied you with a link back to the original thread where a user by the username "Indicator" listed the specs on 6/11. Again, here's that thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52140

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Consider the opposite possibility in palm one's desire to remove the images and text from the various boards.... consider the rumor to be completely fabricated... what would that do to the 600? people would be waiting for a non-existent device and hurt current sales right in the middle of a major marketing campaign. That is a lot stronger reason for palm one to put strong pressure on those posting to remove it as it could be doing actual damage to the company... That may not have been a leak as much as it might simply have been done either as another rumor goofball or someone out to hurt palm...
    I agree with kenn..............

JC
    Scottr, go to that thread and look at post # 17 by "Indicator" admitting he was mistaken on 6/11 at 4:36pm...

"??!? Perhaps what she really meant was the Treo with no camera - which was launched last week and is available through business channels now..."

Now tell me I am wrong?

Second point, on another thread on Treo Central it is now reported that it was not Palm that requested the removal but a wireless carrier. Treo Central aparently does not have a NDA with Palm according to Treo Central's post on the other thread.
    Scottr, go to that thread and look at post # 17 by "Indicator" admitting he was mistaken on 6/11 at 4:36pm...
    You should reread that. I believe Indicator was responding directly to post #16 by mgauss who said:
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    The Sprint rep told me they are coming up with a Treo with no phone.

She thought it was odd.
    The next post by Indicator (post #17) then said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    ??!? Perhaps what she really meant was the Treo with no camera - which was launched last week and is available through business channels now...
    Note that in mgauss' post, he referred to the sprint rep as a "she" and Indicator's follow-up referred to a "she" but in Indicator's original post (post #1), he referred to the Sprint Senior Account Manager that he got his info from as a "he."

Scott
    WIthout regard to gender, his point in #17 was..."really meant was the Treo with no camera" but never mind I will gladly sit on the sideline now and await the July launch date that would be 6 weeks out from the initial post and gleefully say, I told you so then. No more from me on this subject until that time. I am sure many that have bought into this will be happy to not hear my voice...and if I am wrong I will gladly apologize to all. BUT if I am right...

Glen
    WIthout regard to gender, his point in #17 was..."really meant was the Treo with no camera" but never mind I will gladly sit on the sideline now and await the July launch date that would be 6 weeks out from the initial post and gleefully say, I told you so then.
    I'm personally not caught up in whether or not this rumored Treo Ace comes to pass or not. But the issue of what post #17 by Indicator was referring to is quite obvious and your interpretation of it is clearly wrong.

Scott
    The new treo ace is out of this world. The keyboard have been curved to make space between the keys for much much comfortable typing. they surely do know on how to improve on their design. I am sure to buy some good amount of palmone shares aftering viewing the pic of the new ACE. I'll bet the stock prices will soar once its released.!!! + we are also getting 320 * 320 screen resolution, 16 bit colour n bluetooth, talk bout palmone being PERFECTIONISTS...they surely are
    your so right diliprc i want one now
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    If the Treo Ace article is (was) true, and release was not imminent, the cat's out of the bag, and there's no reason for PalmOne nor Sprint to lean on Treocentral to remove the article, because all us geeks have already started the salivation cycle.

If it was a total fabrication (as others suggest), then wouldn't an outright denial be more effective than the lawyer muscle? Douse it with a very large bucket of cold water and make the writer look dumb.

Conclusion: (1) it was the real deal (or close enough), and (2) demanding removal of the article just furthers the hype for a near term release.

Look at how bonkers we went when good ole Jeff just happened to show up with a "phone" in his hand at a photo op for the merger. Folks were out sketching pictures and building mock-ups from a very grainy blow up of Hawkins palm (sorry - just couldn't resist ).

Patience Grasshopper - it will come.
    @gharrod> I have been a member of this board for quite sometime (since I was working for Sprint in fact) and I can concurr everything gfunkmagic and indicator has said now, or in the past. In fact I would bet my job on indicator actually working for said wireless company, because his posts are always on target. I currently work for the largest independent wireless reseller in the country right now, and have very close ties within said wireless company. EVERY business account executive of that company got that spec sheet... It's what they use to get their clients to buy into the data offerings, and offer more solutions for their companies. Not only is the Treo Ace on that sheet, but the upcoming PPC 6600, Samsung i550 and i700 is on there too. I saw it with my own two eyes while talking to a former collegue of mine. He had it on his laptop, and it said something about an NDA on the very first page. I saw that a full 3 weeks ago, and I informed Miradu about it. I didn't want to leak it, because it might have been traced back to my buddy. So now thats 3 people you'd be calling out. Myself, Indicator, and gfunkmagic.

@ everyone else: Yeah its gonna be a long summer... I have had the t300, went thru 3 t600s because of speakerphone problems, (I finally got a P1 branded 600 with no problems though) and now anticipate the "Ace". I am also gonna pick up the PPC 6600 as well just because it also has wi-fi and PPC, which I've never messed with before. When I get a chance to mess with them both, I'll try to post a full review.
    Last edited by starrwulfe; 06/28/2004 at 04:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Treo Ace is probably a fake.

I believe that Palm One has not done anything to improve the Treo 600 because they have fallen into political fights. Certainly their engineers were castrated when Palm One paid 200 Mullion Duullars for Handspring's 3 year old design.

And the Handspring team, upon receiving their 200 Muullioon duullars became a "don't I look pretty in Prada...let's stay in the South of France shopping we are rich so we don't have to work let the engineers making 50K a year sweat" team.

There is no question that owning a Treo ("feels right in a Zen way") has always relegated one to 4 year old technology. We love our Treos nonetheless. We put up with no hi res no wifi no BT no no no and we love it!

But really those of us that wanted the next step for Treo (which would be a wonderful step...almost to the essence of nerd heaven) only have one thing to blame: the worthless competition.

The HP 6300 is like putting Brad Pitt's flat stomach on one's face. Nice if one is a girl but we are all nerdy guys. (Except for those dancing Avatars ?!?)

The MPx's keyboard was designed by Saddam when he got a migraine in the hole.

BenQ is some sort of Chinese name for low quality electronics.

Sony has no presence in phone stores.

So as long as the competition "just does not get it" Palm One will continue to give us that proud 160 x 160 resolution for another 2 years.

Mark my words.

It's a shame, as the next iteration of Treo would be the equivalent of moving from a stick to a Parker Pen. Sure there could be improvements but that step would have moved it from a 45% to a 93%...

ahh the dream of hi res

aahh the dreams...no! 160 x 160.
    Hi,
    The "ACE" looks great. I cannot understand why anyone would think that this information is untrue is beyond me. Miradu has stated this and I would definitely take it as fact. How could you not? Mgauss who is a proven liar and crybaby has to chime in (yeah build me a camera for my Treo 600). I definitly did not buy into the "bluetooth post" because it was from someone who was not reliable. I would think that the release date would be off as they usually are. I love my Treo 600, but with everything that the "Ace" it would be totally perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    we are all nerdy guys
    mgauss rocks! Yeah!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lvigp
    Hi,
    TMgauss who is a proven liar and crybaby has to chime in
    Hey lvigp, you can disagree with someone without personally attacking that person. Chill out. Posts such as yours reveal more about the poster than the person being attacked.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Excellent post, Treo-Mike. I couldn't have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I guess that figure is based on all the incredibly accurate and measurable market research you have conducted on Palm's behalf?

You can bet your bottom dollar they are affraid. This is going to turn into a VERY competitive playing field. If they are not ready to launch, why would they want to give their competitors time to possibly change their designs or figure out ways to sell against it? In my company we don't release product information until products are ready to launch. We don't believe in opening the kimono and giving our competition the upper hand. Also, we change things right up until a few weeks until launch, so what you might see at one point may not be in the end product. That would make "pre-release" information innacurate. AND REMEMBER THIS - while you might be a loyal Palm user, the majority of people will migrate to where the most features for the least cost is. It's the nature of modern-day consumers - so don't kid yourself.

I guess you are properly informed of all Palm's current cost structures of the new unit and you are aware of the company's target margins going forward?

Hey! News Flash! PalmOne is a business!!! That's right...the only reason that they make these devices it TO MAKE MONEY! All successful businesses manage their inventories and try to eliminate waste wherever possible.

I don't mean to start a flame war. But your post is not realistic. It's a rant and granted you marked it as so...but come on. Don't throw out meaningless figures. I to am anxiously awaiting the new unit. When the time is right...and hopefully it has passed rigourous quality testing...they will release it. Until then...what can we do?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast