Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, if TreoCentral has a "relationship" with PalmOne that precludes them from entirely honest reporting, then that should be openly disclosed right off their home page - some of us continue to think that editorial comments are honest and open - it would e nice, if we are wrong in our beliefs, to be told so...
    Does it really matter that they took the article down? Most of us I'm sure saw it already, and those that can't can read the Google cached file.

Plus, everyone's discussing the Treo Ace anyway, so if the Google one went down, then we'd still be talking about the specs. I'm sure the editors realized that the message boards would keep talkin about it, and that might have something to do with why they complied to PalmOne's request so quickly.
    jhoff80i totaly agree
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Have you guys noticed that Brighthand used to report on all rumors leading right up to the day of release of a new P1 device? However, with the most recent device announcements we are only seeing one or possibly two rumor articles with complete silence on the topic during the 30-45 days before official release/announcement. At midnight, on the day of release though, Brighthand (and sometimes PIC) would print a full review of the device which clearly suggests that they had a copy well in advance in order to be able to author the piece.

I suspect that P1 has figured out that the best way to keep these enthusiast sites quiet is to give them semi-exclusive early access to their newest devices in exchange for silence (otherwise known as an NDA). I don't think this slants the authors' opinion of a device at all. The enthusiast sites are all competing on time to print and if they are able to achieve a competitive advantage by engaging with a device manufacturer in this way, then that is their strategic decision to make. Personally, I love being able to read a full review the minute a device has been officially unveiled.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    The article was pulled due to threatened legal action from one of the nations largest wireless carriers. While PalmOne did have an early morning discussion with TreoCentral, they were not directly involved in the removal of the article. TreoCentral does not have an NDA with PalmOne.

I still stand by my story, and so do my sources. Many other pda websites (pdabuzz, engadget) are reporting that they also received confirming information of the Treo ACE after my story was published.

Trust me, I spent months collecting the information for this story, and I was writing and rewriting it for 6 hours. I am the last one to want to see it taken down. Google doesn't have the story in its cache anymore, I'd rather not post it in my real blog, so here's an unofficial reprint on a holder account at blogger: http://miradu.blogspot.com/2004_06_0...38223572496759
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    dammit sprint.

Tech Journalism has a lot of NDA's involved - Mansouan has it all figured out. Basically, one-three weeks before a products release, PalmOne or whatever company, contacts the print publishers and websites, and they have a private call with each site going over all the details. For top tier publishers (nytimes, cnet, pcmag, mossberg, etc), review units are arranged, so that on release day, the most visited spots on the web will have frontpage reviews of their devices. PalmOne gets more attention, and users get faster information - everyone wins. These are always temporary NDA's that "expire" on midnight of the day of product announcement. We've signed them in the past, and we are looking forward to sign them in the future. If we did not sign them, we would not be able to compete with other websites that did.

Well, if TreoCentral has a "relationship" with PalmOne that precludes them from entirely honest reporting, then that should be openly disclosed right off their home page - some of us continue to think that editorial comments are honest and open - it would e nice, if we are wrong in our beliefs, to be told so...
    My comments are always honest and open. I will never write things I know untrue, or try to falsely lead our users. If I can't say it, I'll try to find someone else who wrote it for us to link to. If I can't do that, I'll stay silent, but I, and TreoCentral, will not, let me repeat, lie or mislead to our users. If we sign an NDA, it's so you can get faster and better information. If you have a question email me.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Thanks for filling us in. I wonder what 20/20 or some other mag show would have to say about corporate giants threating smaller media players in this way. I mean, if it had been Dateline revealing internal Microsoft memos, would MS try to sue them? I'm no attorney so I'd be interested in hearing from someone who is.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    miradu - I just want to say thank you for a great article.

While I thought it overkill and an action by PalmOne, it kind of made sense (if PalmOne was behind it all). But now that I know a wireless carrier made the threat I wonder how the heck that can be valid? The Treo is PalmOne's product. TreoCentral had no NDA with PalmOne. I'm no lawyer, but I can't see how any legal action against TC would actually fly in a court of law. And I really wish TC had enough funds to stand up and fight such action from a wireless carrier.

It is just a cheap action by corporate lawyers to silence a small voice.

No matter, plenty of us already made copies .
    So miradu, since you posted a copy of this on a blog, do you expect the wireless carrier to chase after you personally?
    Have they gone after any of the other sites posting Treo "ace" info and pics?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    So, the implication is that P1 gave you at least some of the specs on the Ace. Does this imply imminent release? Why is (we assume) Sprint so upset? Shouldn't they be thrilled that there is this much excitement about an upcoming product to be used on their network? I guess I just don't understand big business....
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Have they gone after any of the other sites posting Treo "ace" info and pics?
    I don't know.

But whenever I search Google for "treo ace" I get different results from a couple days back. The TC link and a Japanese site's link are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    So, the implication is that P1 gave you at least some of the specs on the Ace. Does this imply imminent release? Why is (we assume) Sprint so upset? Shouldn't they be thrilled that there is this much excitement about an upcoming product to be used on their network? I guess I just don't understand big business....
    My guess is that Sprint or whatever wireless provider contacted TC is concerned that they will have difficulty unloading their current inventory of T600s. Understandable, they probably buy in large quantities to get better pricing out of P1 and wouldn't want to get stuck holding the bag when the next gen device goes on sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by mansouan
    My guess is that Sprint or whatever wireless provider contacted TC is concerned that they will have difficulty unloading their current inventory of T600s. Understandable, they probably buy in large quantities to get better pricing out of P1 and wouldn't want to get stuck holding the bag when the next gen device goes on sale.
    But does that make for a valid lawsuit? I don't think so. So for me their threat is not understandable and very lame.

You can sue anyone here in America for anything and even if you win a case against you there is still a large legal bill that you have to pay. Which is why TC pulled the article. It is not like TC pulling the article was in some way "the right thing to do". It was simply the economic thing to do, since they can't afford the court battle. Eventhough TC was right to post the article.
    It would be pretty silly for a company to sue TC if TC announced exactly who made the threat to sue them over the article. Personally I like when sites post the actual "lawsuit threat letter" for everyone to see.

So will TC announce who is behind the lawsuit? Or is TC afraid that saying who could affect their ability to make sales via service with that provider in the future?

At first we all felt PalmOne was behind this. Now we know a wireless provider was. The assumption is Sprint, but we don't know for sure. I don't like trying to guess, especially when the first assumption was wrong. Come on TC, let us know who please.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I appreciate the info on the Treo Ace. I think it would be best to leave sleeping dogs lie with respect to threatened legal action........

my preference is to get the device info as opposed to the litigation info...
    Seems reasonable to assume it was Sprint. Probably not VZW, as I doubt it has a large stock of T600s to unload. Although.... given that VZW usually takes about 3 decades to introduce a new model, perhaps they DID build up inventory. And the tactic of holding off on new model releases and milking old models for all they're worth sounds very much like VZW's signature
    Miradu deserves a great deal of credit and respect for the article. It was awesome work.

In order to sell Sprint Treo 600's, presumably TreoCentral signed plenty of legalese that Sprint attorneys devised so that they could harass TC for various reasons. Let's vote with our wallets and choose T-Mobile instead. T-mobile has international roaming and longer battery life anyway. Sprint survives on ineficiency.
    There are trade-secret laws which allow injunctions and other extraordinary relief to help people/companies to protect confidential information when someone has violated confidentiality provisions in NDA's.

I'm guessing Sprint is behind it, since the picture was taken of the Sprint Treo ACE specs. If I were Sprint, and I concluded the disclosure would hurt my bottom line, I would probably take all legal action to protect my interests.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast