1.    #1  
    When it works, this is a wonderful tool - a free download from Yahoo Calendar (more info here.)

It installs as a conduit to the Palm Desktop utility and allows you to synch your treo calendar/todo/addressbook/notes with the Yahoo counterparts. Wonderful!

Logically, with the Treo being an Internet connected device itself, we should be able to synch with Yahoo directly - without needing an intermediate Palm Desktop. That may come later.

The downsides are:
    1. Once the Yahoo conduit is enabled, you only synch with yahoo. Palm desktop data is not synched up.
    2. Yahoo intellisync works most of the time. But not always.

Once the Yahoo intellisync is broken, good luck figuring out what is amiss.

I originally started this message thread after yahoo stopped accepting synch requests. Since then, I figured out that if you remove intellisync and install the latest version, all is well again.

Rest of the message thread is regarding that outage...

Best,

MuratD
    Last edited by muratd; 06/30/2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Problem resolved
    Quote Originally Posted by muratd
    Well, Yahoo Intellisync is not working for me again.

When it works, this is a wonderful tool - a free download from Yahoo Calendar (more info here.)

It installs as a conduit to the Palm Desktop utility and allows you to synch your treo calendar/todo/addressbook/notes with the Yahoo counterparts. Wonderful!

Logically, with the Treo being an Internet connected device itself, we should be able to synch with Yahoo directly - without needing an intermediate Palm Desktop. That may come later.

The downsides are:
    1. Once the Yahoo conduit is enabled, you only synch with yahoo. Palm desktop data is not synched up.
    2. Yahoo intellisync works most of the time. But not always.

Once the Yahoo intellisync is broken, good luck figuring out what is amiss.

Currently I am in a "down" period - where the yahoo synch does not work, suggesting my username/password may be wrong. They are not! I have not changed them for over a month and things have been fine up until recently.

A packet capture between my Palm Desktop machine and the Yahoo host indicates that the yahoo synch host just hangs up on me.

As it stands now, it is difficult for me to recommend this facility as a dependable one. Let me know if there are users out there using Intellisysnc for Yahoo with no problems and if so, I will investigate my specifics further...

Best,

MuratD

so I am not alone! I'm having the same problem.
  3.    #3  
    Well, as it turns out, Yahoo has been dinking with third party client support http://news.com.com/Yahoo+to+Trillia...l?tag=nefd.top
    and in the process breaking some of their own clients as well. Based on the timing match of us having problems and Yahoo pulling this stunt, I think chances are high the problem is at the Yahoo end.

Not cool Yahoo! - Even if this service is free. I am Paying Yahoo for a bunch of other premium services and thought they were on the ball.

Grrr!

MuratD
  4.    #4  
    Well,

Since my problem of being unable to synch with yahoo calendar/addressbook/todo/notes is continuing, I visited the Yahoo Intellisync page to see if there is an acknowledgement of this issue. Found no such notice.

Having nothing to lose at this point, I decided to remove the intellisync module I have and download/reinstall the intellisync from yahoo.

Guess what - as soon as I downloaded the new intellisync installer from yahoo, I noticed it was half the size of the old one (the installation .exe file itself). Something must have changed!

When I configured the new module, it started working flawlessly again.

I am happy and upset at the same time. Happy because I am back on track, upset because yahoo took no steps to notify the user base. At least a note on the intellisync page indicating that users had to install the new conduit would have been nice.

But then again, this is a free service. Comes back with a "Money back guarantee" as Johnny Carson used to say...

From now on, if there is an outage longer than a couple days, I guess I will check to see if there is a new version of the tool. Not the ideal way but as long as it works - nothing else gives this functionality to me...

Cheers!

MuratD
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    so I am not alone! I'm having the same problem.
    Guys/Gals: Intellisync for yahoo was working fine for me until last week when it suggested to upgrade a newer version. so I did. and now I can't sync. It says it can't log in to yahoo! . I know the password is correct.

I clicked on "Sync" (says New) link in calendar.yahoo.com to download and install. Where should I be getting this instead to make it work?. I am actually quite pissed eventhough the service is free.

Are there other services similar to yahoo that has calendar, memopad and contacts support. I have moved from yahoo->gmail for my emails so I don't need to use yahoo for these..and I really want to keep a copy of my calendar, contacts,memos etc online for quick access if my handheld is not around or stolen.
  7.    #7  
    Well,

The intellisync service comesi with a full money-back guarantee, I guess.

I have been through the mud with the installs as well.

One thing that used to help is un-installing the previous version before upgrading to the latest version, as opposed to a straight upgrade.

Give this approach a shot and see what happens...

Good luck...
    I have done that atleast 4 to 5 times. Its annoying, I used the packet sniffer to see whats going on...it seems to communicate with psync.yahoo.com:80 and that hangs.

Now I am looking for the install exe of the older version which worked perfectly fine for me. Does anyone have such a installer that they can link me to or upload somewhere..I would greatly appreciate that!.
    Just a followup . I was able to find old intellisyc from the files section of yahoogroups 'intellisync' and everything is back to normal *phew*.