1.    #1  
    The Ace has me ready to buy with one question - can anyone confirm at this early point if it will support EV-DO or be EV-DO reday when Sprint rolls it out?

Thanks!
    That was my first thought too... Here's what we've been waiting for and now EV-DO will be the forgotten item. If the Ace is released without EV-DO and there were similar handsets that supported EV-DO I'll have to jump ship. How could I justify staying with Vision speeds that would be so slow in comparison?

Dunc
    The difference would be as dramatic as getting a 2G PDA/phone instead of a 3G PDA/phone when both are out. At this point I would imagine P1 would really have to scramble to meet their timeline (which we don't really know) and add EV-DO support. I can only hope they accomplish this as I personally would wait a few more months for a device that is EV-DO capable, even if it is not a Palm product. The difference in speed is too compelling for me.

Having said that wasn't the Treo 300 a flagship 3G product when Sprint first rolled out their Vision service? P1 and Sprint seem to have a good working relationship and it would be in both of their interests to 'make it happen', so one can hope.
    I'm not a tech guy, but it seems like P1 could just prepare the Treo so it is upgradable for EV-Do at a later date like they did with the GPRS ready devices. Right?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I'm not a tech guy, but it seems like P1 could just prepare the Treo so it is upgradable for EV-Do at a later date like they did with the GPRS ready devices. Right?
    That isn't Sprint's SOP, so I don't believe that would happen. Their techs really aren't supposed to open phones and perform work on them (though they did with the Kyocera screen fiasco.) This would mean company policy would need to be changed, and they would have to train techs as well as spend additional monies in manpower to do it. Not something they want to do. Sprint likes a complete product with no additional alterations, and they want control over warranty issues in house, not having customers send in phones to the manufacturer to 'upgrade' later. I believe it will either have it or will be another model later down the road.
    heberman is talking about a software upgrade, not a hardware upgrade.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    heberman is talking about a software upgrade, not a hardware upgrade.
    OIC sorry, not very familiar with the GSM world of things. If the required hardware is there, then the software would need to be tested to ensure the hardware is working, right? Why not include it with the finished product then, as it will still work just fine on the 3G network until such time as EV-DO is ready? I guess I don't understand at all why it would be done this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    OIC sorry, not very familiar with the GSM world of things. If the required hardware is there, then the software would need to be tested to ensure the hardware is working, right? Why not include it with the finished product then, as it will still work just fine on the 3G network until such time as EV-DO is ready? I guess I don't understand at all why it would be done this way.

I don't understand why they wouldn't do it this why either.

But remember, this is EXACTLY what they did with the Treo 600 and Text Messaging. A software upgrade was released much after the launch date.
    the only reason ACE will be EVDO capable is if P1 cuts a deal to launch it on Verizon. realisticaly speaking, Sprint won't have EVDO rolled out until well into 2005, just in time for the 5th gen (after Ace) Treo. w/o Verzion, what would be the point of putting EVDO on this thing?

Ace shoulf have EDGE. however. this could mean a later release for the GSM version, which is fine w/me so long as it's this year. to not include EDGE on Ace would be a blunder of unestimatable proportions
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    the only reason ACE will be EVDO capable is if P1 cuts a deal to launch it on Verizon. realisticaly speaking, Sprint won't have EVDO rolled out until well into 2005, just in time for the 5th gen (after Ace) Treo. w/o Verzion, what would be the point of putting EVDO on this thing?

Ace shoulf have EDGE. however. this could mean a later release for the GSM version, which is fine w/me so long as it's this year. to not include EDGE on Ace would be a blunder of unestimatable proportions
    I'm not so sure EDGE will get rolled out any quicker than Sprint's EV-DO. In fact, I might put my money on Sprint.
    ATTWS already has EDGE nationwide and Cingular is following suit
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I'm not so sure EDGE will get rolled out any quicker than Sprint's EV-DO. In fact, I might put my money on Sprint.
    I would like to take you up on that bet. How about $100 that Cingular/AT&T offer EDGE before Sprint offers EVDO?
    Off to iPhone land...
    It has been established recently that gfunkmagic is either a clueless Palm OS shill or a nefarious Pocket PC agent of FUD, but his answer on this topic still seems perfectly reasonable. Read it here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52713

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The question was will "the next Treo (rumored to be released in the next couple of months) will be designed to take advantage of the EV-DO network". In that context, I don't how thsi could be possible since:

-Sprint hasn't even built the infrastructure to support 1xEvDo
    -p1 has probably already chosen the RF module for the next Treo

Thus NO, I highly doubt the next Treo will support 1xEvDo...