Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Actually (if i understand correctly) the RAM in the Treo is still dynamic. Theres always a small amount of battery power devoted to keeping the information stored (one of the reasons an SD card backup is important for me). I think the Treo 600 also has a smaller backup battery to let the data stay in RAM for a while after the main battery is dead as well.

Edit: Oh and I think the Clie UX-50 might have a smaller screen than the Treo 600 thats also high res. For some reason I thought I remembered reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80
    I think the Treo 600 also has a smaller backup battery to let the data stay in RAM for a while after the main battery is dead as well.
    This was correct in the Treo 270 model so I'm assuming it still is correct on the T600 although I've never let my 600 run out of juice!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldon
    I'm glad I read it this morning AND saved the picture.

oh no you read it??

you in trouble buddy. the men in the black helicopters will be right there.

you might be saved if you repeat after me:

"treo ace?"

"what is a treo ace?"
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The funny thing is the Treo Ace code name leaked back for the Treo 180 ( http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/553.html ) so I'm a little puzzled on the name.
    Last edited by manielse; 06/25/2004 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe
    I agree, now that the cat is outta the bag, P1 and SPCS should take the opportunity to let us "early adopters" (read: nerds and geeks) take a sneak peak at this like they did the t600. Remember the famous photo where the sprint CEO and the handspring CEO are at CEBIT, and they "happen" to have a working sample there?
    i'm sure they are worried about current sales, they are expecting to sell 200,000+ units this quarter. I'm sure they dont want to effect that.

then again, they didnt say 200,000 of which model.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I enjoyed reading the info and seeing the picture as much as anyone, however it was clear that the leak isn't good for PalmOne and I couldn't help but think that the person(s) who broke their NDA was (in addition to being rather dishonest and untrustworthy) doing a major dis-service to the company he's supposedly excited about.

For the company, whose chances have JUST started to pick up, to capitalize on it's potential, it needs to keep a tight lid on its upcoming products. It's a shame that such a stunt may very well cause lost revenue in the millions of dollars.

I hope whoever did it is happy. Of course this may be exactly why this was done.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/25/2004 at 07:30 PM.
    I think infosync is wrong in the article you linked manielse. The Treo codenames that I have heard are:

Treo 180: Manhatten
    Treo 180g: Shea
    Treo 270: Atlanta
    Treo 300: London
    Treo 600: Dark Knight, Boy Wonder (Batman and Robin)
    Next Gen Treo: Ace (and also Deuce. Though it was dropped soon into development I'm told)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    In addition to removing the home page reference to the Treo Ace, a bunch (about four pages worth I think) of posts were wiped out too.

As said above, I'm looking forward to understanding what happened (although I think I can make a pretty accurate guess).

Always exciting...
    I find it very interesting that a poster here gfunkmagic posted the Treo Ace feature set and name on another board more then a week ago...
    Here's the latest rumor about the code-named "Treo Ace"

<UPDATED>

"Treo Ace"
    Bluetooth enabled
    320x320 screen- 16bit - 65k TFT
    Palm OS 5.4 - Garnet
    312Mhz Arm Processor
    Dedicated answer and disconnect buttons (to replace the "soft" buttons)
    1.2 megapixel digital camera
    cdma version for sprint first...

Basically sounds like P1 may be using similar components in the Z72 and forthcoming Ace. It's unknown if PalmOne will use "Treo 610" nomenclature...

I support http://Tapland.com/

--------------------
    GNM

Edited by - gfunkmagic on 06/21/2004 7:14:56 PM

here is the link to the page... http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...TOPIC_ID=22931

So if he is so in the know why did he not tell us. This is a poster that has at times seemed to be brilliantly in the know and at others seemed to be shilling for certain things or companies...I do not know him but am curious as to why and how HE got this information...
    Miradu, if you read the infoseek article I referenced, they admitted they were wrong:

Rumors have been circulating for long now (as they usually do), talking about an imminent announcement from Handspring regarding the release of two new models - code name Ace and Columbia. As it turns out, it wasn't Ace and Columbia that was about to be announced - it was the Manhattan and Shea instead, whose real names will be Treo k180 and Treo g180 respectively.
    The funny thing is that article is 3 years old and the code name is finally being used. I wonder if Columbia is still on roadmap slides.

In all honesty Michael, I hope PalmOne didn't give you too much heat on the article. As you mentioned in the article, the message boards leaked the story and naturally it spread to other websites. The only thing your article did was make the rumor more visable and one has to assume they wanted it removed for a reason: that it's true or VERY close.

As for wipping out four pages worth of posts, I know this is also dictated to you from above by PLMO has to come to terms that they won't be able to keep this under wraps any further from the hard core Treo owners. Can it hurt short term revenues, yes but I doubt it's a much as they fear. As much as I love your website, the average consumer will never come here. It would have to be talked about all over the media (newspapers, magazines, major news websites, TV) in order to majorly hurt sales. Let's face it, we all knew a newer device was coming out and we kind of could predict the timeframe.

So who does this really hurt? Pretty much the case makers like Vaja. Current Treo 600 owners who plan to upgrade know now that there is a good change the existing cases may not fit. To our knowledge, everything else should still be compatable.

Can they capitalize on this, of course. First, it allows time for current 600 owners to set aside some dough for the next version. Like all things it will get over-hyped by the fans here but will also help drive sales up. I know companies love to be the first ones to release news on a product but sometimes they just simply hold onto that news too long and it leaks.
    Yup, the fact its pulled from the site indicates someonee probably violated thier NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement). I'm sure it will come out soon! Bluetooth!!! Yeah!!
    I am unaware of us removing 4 pages of posts. We have a very good relationship with PalmOne.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Miradu, just give some of us conspiracy theorists something to che on for a few minutes. PLEASE!
    I read all the posts, very interesting thoughts on the next generation Treo. Here are my two cents:

* Months ago, I ordered a three-pack of the T600 Boxwave screen protectors, thinking the Treo's screen size would remain the same. Now I feel like a sucker! (Don't get me started on the potential for cradle incompatibility.)

* What happened to the "Menu" key on this new Treo? Is something else going to replace it? Same thing with the four application keys. I hope they don't disappear altogether.

* I must be the only one who loves the T600 antenna. Glad they kept it. It makes it look more like a phone and not a PDA (Call me a traditionalist).

* The phone silencer switch should have a backlight--just like the keyboard. This would be an invaluable feature, especially if you're in a darkened movie theater or some other place where you can't see (like glare).

* P1 better do a better paint job on the five-way pad. Mine has started to peel on the right edge!

* Having two speakers on the back for enhanced MP3 playback? (Might be overkill...)

* The improved camera? 95% there: Add a freaking flash!

* With regards to the headphone jack, I hope P1 makes up for it on the "Ace" Treo by keeping the 2.5mm jack on the bottom (carkit backwards compatibility) and ADDING a 3.5 mm jack on top for us music fanatics. It's not THAT impossible!

* Depending on the speed of the next generation data services (Edge and EV-DO), that Mobi TV thing (and by extension, the possibility of video mail) and other multimedia s/w programs that are probably under development as we speak, are gonna sell alot of "Ace" Treos, especially with the hi-res screen. (Similarly, please see next post as well.)

* It would be cool if this new Ace Treo had room for an extra SD slot. Prices of SD cards are always getting cheaper and the added slot would make for enhanced multitasking. Would also make the use of MP3 song swaps among Palm PDAs THAT much more fun. (One slot for data, the other for fun!) Makes me wonder what the "Ace" version of Pocket Tunes would look like. Support for AAC music files would be nice. The A-HA MOMENT: Given time, the next generation Treos could trump the iPod in that department: an audio & VIDEO player in a Palm phone/PDA form factor. Groovy!

* 32MB of internal memory? Sounds like a bad idea, especially with the hi-res screen. Think about all the 3rd-party software programs like Agendus that will be take up mucho memory with its advanced multimedia features. That said, how about a family of next generation Treos with 64MB? 128MB? 256MB? You get the idea...

* The Palm OS itself. If it's really just gonna be Palm OS 5, I would be disappointed. If the next generation of Treos allowed backwards compatibility with OS 5 and the future with OS6 (kind of like the new Macs with OS X and its earlier versions), it would ensure that all Palm programs would work seamlessly (for the most part at least).

* Last but not least: Make sure the darn updaters work right the first time before P1 posts them on its Website!

That said, I still love my (Handspring) T600 and will keep and use it lovingly for the next few years unless something unfortunate happens to it (theft, breakage, or if Sprint screws over its loyal customers with its pricing plans.) As much as ID with technolust as the next guy or gal, the T600 is good enough for me as is. Yep, price is an issue! (Searching for a job is my top priority.) I paid full cost for the T300, got the T600 upgrade price and feel I've given Handspring/P1 enough of my money. All the new features in the next generation Treos will be great, but I can wait. At least for now!

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I find it very interesting that a poster here gfunkmagic posted the Treo Ace feature set and name on another board more then a week ago...
    Here's the latest rumor about the code-named "Treo Ace"

<snip>

So if he is so in the know why did he not tell us. This is a poster that has at times seemed to be brilliantly in the know and at others seemed to be shilling for certain things or companies...I do not know him but am curious as to why and how HE got this information...
    ROTFLOL!!! OMG, I was eating cereal as I was reading this and I started laughing so hard that milk almost came out of nose!!

Btw genius, if you had read the rest of that post you would have seen that I said that I got all that info from post here at treocentral (Indicator specifically). Sheesh...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Would cereal have come out of your nose with milk? :d
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Would cereal have come out of your nose with milk? :d

No, the nasopharyngeal duct is not that large.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    No, the nasopharyngeal duct is not that large.
    You should try eating your cereal in much smaller pieces then .
    Mmmmm...cereal.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ROTFLOL!!! OMG, I was eating cereal as I was reading this and I started laughing so hard that milk almost came out of nose!!

Btw genius, if you had read the rest of that post you would have seen that I said that I got all that info from post here at treocentral (Indicator specifically). Sheesh...
    Everyone who has spent anytime on this board knows the Gfunk is clueless...no wait, Clueless is really Alli, no, maybe Alli is Burkhaldi, no..oh never mind. I am clueless.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite