Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Has anyone seen a 320x320 screen smaller than the existing TREO 600's screen on any other device?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Has anyone seen a 320x320 screen smaller than the existing TREO 600's screen on any other device?
    I haven't. Based upon the information I have read so far, I'm not sure the screen will be any smaller.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I haven't. Based upon the information I have read so far, I'm not sure the screen will be any smaller.
    Check this out...

Transreflective 16 bit 320x320 screen - One individual who has handled the Treo Ace remarks that "The screen is just not to be believed - the screen is striking". The screen is slightly smaller in size as compared to the screen in the Treo 600. But the readability has been improved considerably with higher resolution, contrast, dot pitch. The 320x320 resolution of this screen is not to be overlooked. There are four times as many pixels on this new screen as compared to the older Treos. Surfing the web, reading pdfs, reading word documents will all require less horizontal scrolling. Add to that better image display capabilities for the camera, mapping, and gaming, and you have a much more useful device. This is the single most important improvement in the Treo Ace.

from...
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/354-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldon
    Does anyone else get the distinct impression that we are over analyzing this whole subject?

...David
    Who us? No way!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Check this out...

Transreflective 16 bit 320x320 screen - One individual who has handled the Treo Ace remarks that "The screen is just not to be believed - the screen is striking". The screen is slightly smaller in size as compared to the screen in the Treo 600. But the readability has been improved considerably with higher resolution, contrast, dot pitch. The 320x320 resolution of this screen is not to be overlooked.
    I stand corrected. I knew about the better screen part, but forgot about the "slight smaller in size" part.

That gives me some concern, as the screen is already tiny. I love the 320x320 screens, though. Good thing I am near-sighted.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Ammm, where did the article go?
    something tells me TreoCentral got a little slpa on the wrist for publishing the ACE information, as it is mysteriously wiped from the site!
    I'm glad I read it this morning AND saved the picture.
    And you can still read it if you have not in Google's cache:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...&hl=en&start=1

It can't be hidden since everybody knows already. PalmOne might as well stop trying to hide it.
    I love Google.
    yes, very interesting that the article's gone....
    mods?????any idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    yes, very interesting that the article's gone....
    mods?????any idea?

Spoo-oooky....

Mom, I'm scared.
    The fact that *someone* asked for it to be removed is likely a good indication that this is the real deal and coming fairly soon.
    I'm not quite sure what to say. We may have something up later today explaining what happened. For now, use the google cache: http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...&hl=en&start=1
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I know some people are concerned about the battery life but my guess is they'll use those new batteries that we read a few days ago so you won't see it degrade.

I hope that screen size doesn't change much as I don't want one of these phones like pocket pc where it's not very fuunctional as a pda. I don't know about most of you but the pda side is still more important than the phone. Some my want this smaller but those are PHONE people and 85% of my time is as a PDA.

If Bluetooth and WiFi were built in, would you even need the SD slot to power SDIO devices? Maybe that FM module or the Remote IR extender I guess. If there was a built in VPN client (both styles) that worked, would WiFi be needed?

Internal memory would not be an issue if the OS natively treated the mem card as a full extention so all application restrictions would go away such as Mapopolis Maps. The internal memory should only be allowed to use as swap space and all apps should run on a card. It would keep the OS cleaner and would simplify backup/restores. You don't store files in your PC's RAM, why on a PDA?

I'm not sold on this device so far but looks OK. I'm glad to see the improvements made but I'm gonna have to see it for myself before buying at a Mission Impossible 2 event. :-)

I'm sure it will be worth it but there's always room for the next device....
    I agree, now that the cat is outta the bag, P1 and SPCS should take the opportunity to let us "early adopters" (read: nerds and geeks) take a sneak peak at this like they did the t600. Remember the famous photo where the sprint CEO and the handspring CEO are at CEBIT, and they "happen" to have a working sample there?

I think with these revised specs, its a perfect device. I have no need for a wi-fi connection, I use sprint, and can already do everything over that connection to the net. My main gripes were with the phone side. I just drove to Atlanta from St. Louis and back and I kept missing calls because I couldn't hear the ringer! PLEASE make the ringers (and the speakerphone in general) LOUDER P1! The BT will help because I am getting a Prius (now everyone KNOWS for sure Im a true geek!) and hopefully the phone will ring thru the car's audio system, like the Nokia 3600 I have. Also like I said before there's speculation that there will be Readylink in the Sprint version (See my last post in this thread) It's only a rumor though, but I am hoping myself because everyone in my workplace is using Readylink heavily, and I have to have a separate phone just to do that right now! Also because I use Pssh and Palm VNC to control 5 Linux based servers, the 320x320 screen has been a lusted after object for some time with me.

All 'n all, when it drops, Im on it!
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    I'm not quite sure what to say. We'll have something up later today explaining what happened. For now, use the google cache: http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...&hl=en&start=1
    I'm not reading "I'm not quite sure what happened" but instead, "I know what happened and I'm not sure how to explain it, if I can"

getting more and more interesting, fellas!
    I have to admit, I've been looking into a Prius as my next car but I told myself that I would wait until I have a Bluetooth phone.

A Prius: The most expensive Treo Accessory! LOL

I was just thinking, wouldn't be nice if the camera had a cover that slide up to protect the lens? As the resolution goes up, those of us that stick our phone in pockets will notice our lint more!
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Internal memory would not be an issue if the OS natively treated the mem card as a full extention so all application restrictions would go away such as Mapopolis Maps. The internal memory should only be allowed to use as swap space and all apps should run on a card. It would keep the OS cleaner and would simplify backup/restores. You don't store files in your PC's RAM, why on a PDA?
    The RAM in your PC is volatile (dynamic), thus you lose anything stored in memory when you reboot, etc. That is not the case with the Treo, it uses static RAM that does not get erased if the unit is reset, shut off, etc. Your Treo's RAM is more like your PC's hard drive than it's RAM. I personally would rather have my commonly used apps run in RAM (faster), put the seldom used things on the card. That is my setup now with zlauncher.

Mike
    Point taken Mike about the speed but if the internal ram was used just for swap space then the only speed difference you would see is at app launch when it transfers to internal memory. MUCH CLEANER than the mess of misc junk on Internal RAM today that can cause conflicts.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast