Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmos67
    Wow this is the Treo I have been waiting for. I currently have Verizon and am looking foward to canceling early to get this Treo on Sprint. Does anyone know if you're blacklisted from a carrier or if cancelation will affect your credit score? Thanks

I think they just charge you an $150 and leave it at that.
    This is a nice device and will undoubtedly convince a lot more people Treo owners (those who were waiting for BT/Hi-Res). However, I'm not so sure I'll be calling in on day one to get this device like I did with the 600. This is not nearly the increase over the T6 that the T6 was over the Treo 300.

First of all, the T6 added OS 5, longer battery life and an SD slot over the Treo 300, not to mention a much better form factor. All of which were exceptional upgrades. Now, I get hi-res and BT. That's nice, but is it worth spending $399 for again? Sure, DocsToGo and the web will be MUCH easier to use, and BT is cool, but what else justifies spending $399 now and then again when the follow-up to this is released with more of the features I'd like (potentially April 05 if this follows P1's upgrade schedule for Tungstens and Zires).

Another nagging concern:
    I'm not thrilled with the battery life of the Treo 600. I check clievideo.com regularly for an update to Lightspeed that will work with the T6 to hopefully increase battery life. For my needs, a faster processor and hi-res screen will only make things worse UNLESS they have the foresight to add a replaceable battery, or provide an external battery in a better form factor (similar to the Power-To-Go sled). I will not be upgrading if that means we're going back to battery life expectations similar to the Treo 300. That remains to be seen.

On a final note, IF this has EV-DO AND Sprint doesn't increase the cost of the unlimited data plan ridiculously AND the battery life is the same as the Treo 600 (or they provide replaceable batteries), then I will most definitely be on the phone with p1 on day 1 for $399, regardless of what I get for my T6 on eBay.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    As a treo 270 owner who was waiting for the next version of the treo 600 I am thrilled as you all were when the t600 was announced. I am hopefull for an upgrade path and I WILL be buying one as soon as it is avail on AT&T. This IS the one I have been waiting for.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I'd be surpised if it support EV-DO. Its not even a mainstream system yet. Its rare that the high tech phones have unreleased technology on them. The leadtime on a cell phone is probably very long. I'm sure Handspring was working on this new Treo the day after they released the Treo 600. They cannot forsee what the carriers will have in 6-12 months.

As for EDGE, that's a possibility. AT&T has had it for like six months now and Cingular is almost national with it too. It'd be nice if all we needed was a software upgrade, something like the GPRS patch on the old Treos.

Anyway, I'm excited!

Joe
    Cancelling service with Verizon early won't blacklist you or affect your credit score as you are still fullfilling the terms of the contract by paying the early termination fee to end it. Now if you choose not to pay the early term fee (and with Verizon it's probably more like $200) then yes it will affect your credit score and could cause issues with your ability to go with Sprint. Sprint does seem to have the most relaxed credit requirements with the lowest deposit in the industry.
    I think it's unknown when EV-DO will be around, so I'm not going to base my decision on that. For me the network has to be in place, then I get the phone to work with that network. It seems to be backward to require it work with a network that's vaporware (at least as far as Sprint's is).

I agree the specs aren't that much of an improvement over what Treo 600 offered. They were pretty much everything I'd want (except for maybe voice dialing, wi-fi and a camera with a flash). Still the hi-res is the big thing, and I currently have no use for the bluetooth (and I know others on here that agree). It does have a bit of a better form factor and looks like they worked on the usability more, which is always a plus.

I'd disagree with skfny's assumptions on the battery life. First we don't know what kind of battery will be in here. Secondly, while it's a faster processor, it might be more energy effecient. The new processor could have the same power draw as technology has advanced in general. I'm willing to give PalmOne the benefit of the doubt on this one until I see otherwise.

In any event, if it does retain to previous owners upgrade price of $399 and I can ebay it for $299, it's worth $100 to me to get hi-res and all the other stuff. I can't imagine someone not upgrading at that price. It will probably be $150 by the time it's done though.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 06/25/2004 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    This is a nice device and will undoubtedly convince a lot more people Treo owners (those who were waiting for BT/Hi-Res). However, I'm not so sure I'll be calling in on day one to get this device like I did with the 600. This is not nearly the increase over the T6 that the T6 was over the Treo 300.

First of all, the T6 added OS 5, longer battery life and an SD slot over the Treo 300, not to mention a much better form factor. All of which were exceptional upgrades. Now, I get hi-res and BT. That's nice, but is it worth spending $399 for again? Sure, DocsToGo and the web will be MUCH easier to use, and BT is cool, but what else justifies spending $399 now and then again when the follow-up to this is released with more of the features I'd like (potentially April 05 if this follows P1's upgrade schedule for Tungstens and Zires).
    I agree that it is not as much of an upgrade as T300 to T600, but it is still huge. Bluetooth aside (label me an infidel, but I've never had any BT devices), the higher res screen will be like the difference between night and day. PalmVNC on the 600 is no better than on the 300, but with 320x320, I think it will be much more useful. I also just bought a copy of mmplayer, which does much better than I thought it would on the T600, but there is no question that it would be better with a higher res screen. The T600 can do things that the T300 cannot. The "ACE" will do things that the T600 can do, but it will do them better (it can also do a few things - BT - that the T600 cannot). If there is an upgrade path similar to the one from the T300 to the T600, I am in.
    Welcome to the charter meeting of Treo-Holics Anon, I am a Tro-Holic and can not wait for this thing to hit the street. I will be in line and loving every moment of it. My closeted bluetooth headset will finally by usable!!

Glen
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    replaceable battery would have been great. If the upgrade price is indeed $399 i will spend it again. The Treo is a really cool phone and I get a lot of enjoyment of showing it to others and converting them when thye notice me using it. I no longer have to take a laptop with me when I travel. I'm sure I won't have a problem selling my current Treo 600 to a newbie for a lot less than they could buy a new one for either.
    bmacfarland, I truly hope I'm wrong about the battery life being closer to that of the Treo 300 than the 600. However, it does seem like P1 is packing in the features into its newer models and not really focusing on battery life. (TE and T3 as cases in point). That's not a dealbraker if you have the option of a PowerToGo sled, but the current external battery for the T6 makes the form factor too big, IMO. And the article does state that it uses the same HotSync connector, and not the UC. We'll have to wait and see. I'm just saying I'll at least wait and see what others have to say before buying, which is not what I did with the Treo 600.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Oh goodie, I get to be the party-pooper. This is certainly an impressive device spec-wise and, truth be told, this may very well be my next phone. That said, I'm rather disappointed, though not surprised. Let's see, where to start?

- The screen is now 320x320, but even smaller than the Treo 600's (which was smaller than the Treo 300's). While I can appreciate the fact that the Handspring folks did a lot of work to implement the D-Pad into the OS/GUI so that you could do many things without the need for a stylus, there are some things that are actually better done with a stylus. This high-res super-tiny screen will make that difficult.

- The keyboard on my Treo 300 was too small to be comfortable even for composing regular emails. The Treo 600 made a too-small thumbboard even smaller. Now, this one's smaller still? Ugh.

- Still stuck at OS5. OS6 (or whatever they're calling it these days) has multitasking. I would argue that multitasking is, in fact, most important for wireless devices because you want to be able to have your device scanning for email in the background, be able to upload/download files in the background, keep yourself alive in an IM client, etc. Granted, clever developers have managed to "work around this" but they shouldn't have to.

Finally, if this doesn't have a swappable battery or an SDIO slot that can handle a WiFi card, that would seem a bit silly to me. I wonder how long it will be for someone else to get a clue and create a better communications device. The landscape/wide thumbboard design is the way to go, IMO. The upcoming Motorola PPC is an ugly creature, what with its goofy-shaped keyboard layout, but I suspect that we'll see better variations of that coming out of the PPC camp before the Palm OS camp gets around to doing it. Sigh.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I agree it would probably be easier to type landscape/wide, but I don't think it makes for a good phone format. What you'd need is some kind of phone that looks like a candy bar style but opens landscape/wide to reveal a pretty wide screen and a keyboard inside. I don't know if the guts are small enough to fit in such a monster though. I remember Nokia came out with a brick like that some 5 years ago it seems and it went over horribly.

The OS6 thing is definitely of interest. I'm curious if CDMA or GPRS can multitask the those online functions as you say. It could simply be a networking issue preventing those from being done at the same time. Maybe it's just that Palm isn't there yet. Either way, I'm disappointed in no OS6, but Handspring (and this is derived from Handspring) has always been slow to upgrade to the latest OS.

As for the smaller screen, I didn't think the Treo's Ace screen was going to be smaller than the Treo 600. I probably didn't read closely enough though. I've got to figure that with the higher-res screen they put together something like they did with the keyboard where it's "smart" enough to figure out what you likely meant if you mash two keys together. Even if they didn't, I can't think of an application that I use where I'm not using the stylus to click relatively big areas.
    From the picture there just might be three buttons on the left side, not just two. I don't know if it's a new button or if they moved a button from the top (likely the sound on/off button) to the side.
    Maybe that extra button is ready link?
    I would assume that sprint would put ready link on this phone, so that it will appeal to a wider variety of business users.

No word on that huh?
    No GPS?
    Laissez Faire
    No emergency survival kit?
    No self-gratification device interface?
    Anybody else notice that the screen is offset to the RIGHT instead of to the left?

I couldn't see the extra buttons silverado thought he saw. It does seem that the top and side buttons do not stick out as far as they do on the T600.

Does anyone else get the distinct impression that we are over analyzing this whole subject?

...David
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    From the picture there just might be three buttons on the left side, not just two. I don't know if it's a new button or if they moved a button from the top (likely the sound on/off button) to the side.
    I read somewhere that it has 2 buttons, above the exiting 4, right under the screen, that will function as soft buttons similar to the way many cellphones work right now.

basically it will be set up so you can use the phone functions more like a typical cellphone, with hard answer and hangup buttons, as well as respond to onscreen dialog (yes/no/cancel/etc.) by hitting the soft buttons instead of moving the d-pad.

sounds cool to me.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    No self-gratification device interface?
    No kleenex dispenser?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast