Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=mathewlu] ...If this truly pans out, they will have answered nearly every (reasonable) request. The only things left out I can see:

3) Wi-Fi, tho' it did say the SDIO slot will power a Wi-Fi card.

from treocentral article:

"SDIO/MMC slot - The Treo Ace may or may not be able to supply enough power for a Wifi SD card. Technically it might only be possible to use such a card if the cellular radio was turned off, so it is unlikely that PalmOne would support it..."

terribly terribly sad if true --

Motorola MPX will be released about the same time --- it will have an industry standard SD slot and built in WiFi.

Someone has an engineering prototype and is reviewing /discussing it at this link:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...15&pagenumber=1
    Wow this is the Treo I have been waiting for. I currently have Verizon and am looking foward to canceling early to get this Treo on Sprint. Does anyone know if you're blacklisted from a carrier or if cancelation will affect your credit score? Thanks
    Sounds nice but having the 600 for only a year, I will wait for the phone after the ACE and the following must haves:

64 MB+ (shame on the 32MB specs for the ACE if true)
    EV-DO compatibilty

• How many of you had to clean out files just to leave enough mem for the 1.2 upgrade? 32MB is old style.

With all the new browser functions and file transfer capabilties, EV-DO is a must. If the Ace is not EV-DO compatible or upgradeable, I'll pass.
    I wonder if it will work with bluetooth-compatible cars like the Toyota Prius (ex. integrated contact list that can be dialed from a car's navigation screen, audio through car speakers that mute radio, etc.)?
    I have noticed in regards to people talking about the new treo
    mentioning the "service" warranty or getting it for the 399. 2 year contracts

As one who as found out first hand Sprints policies. to qualify for the rebates for 150. or what ever they have the time you have had to have the phone you are using for 18 months. not 17 months not 17 months and 29 days a full 18 months they do not bend on this.

Sorry i didnt mean to rain on any 610 loving parades.
    :/
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoices
    I have noticed in regards to people talking about the new treo
    mentioning the "service" warranty or getting it for the 399. 2 year contracts

As one who as found out first hand Sprints policies. to qualify for the rebates for 150. or what ever they have the time you have had to have the phone you are using for 18 months. not 17 months not 17 months and 29 days a full 18 months they do not bend on this.

Sorry i didnt mean to rain on any 610 loving parades.
    :/

The $399 price we are wanting is not the service incentive price, but the current owner upgrade price. When the T600 was introduced, those of us with a T300 were able to enter our serial number on Handspring's website, and order the T600 for $399. We are hoping that we have the same opportunity to upgrade from the T600 to the "Ace" from PalmOne.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Ed Colligan (even back to when he was first at palm) the champion of rebates? Now that he is president, this can only be good.

Then again, they have a hot device and know it so why give a rebate out the shoot. We early adopters will ***** and still get it. I know I will.

Darn, my contract (I had to re-up to get the 1000 min plan) isn't up until next year. Guess I'll have to wait until the gsm model comes out.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Too sad the new device is still likely to have this ugly antenna. When will they finally learn that a phone without antenna looks much cooler? With the antenna the T600 looks like a five years old Nokia. Definitely no "wow factor" here in Europe...

Or are they afraid you Americans don't believe it's a phone without antenna? ;-]

R.
    Did anyone else enlarg the Treocentral photo of the supposed ACE? The date in the upper right corner says 7/31/03. Surely this puppy hasn't been under wraps for a year?

Anyway, like everyone else I say BRING IT ON (especially for a loyal owner price of $399 with trade in - I'm there in a heartbeat!)

As for the antennae comment, I'd like to see it go internal as well, but I've been told that it can't be done (especially in CDMA networks) and get teh performace we demand for data services.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 06/25/2004 at 09:12 AM.
    As a third party retailer for Sprint, I can tell you that the 18 month policy CAN be circumvented. You just have to know who to talk to, AND how to talk to them!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    BUT...I'd still rather have my upgrade price like last time!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolloM
    Too sad the new device is still likely to have this ugly antenna. When will they finally learn that a phone without antenna looks much cooler? With the antenna the T600 looks like a five years old Nokia. Definitely no "wow factor" here in Europe...

Or are they afraid you Americans don't believe it's a phone without antenna? ;-]

R.

I don't mind the antenna, but it would be nice if they removed it since the airlines still have trouble understanding what "wireless mode off" means. No antenna makes our Treos look more like PDAs and we should have no more problems.
    It needs a replacable battery...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolloM

R.
    I too wish they would ditch the antenna, but only if it doens't have an appreciable effect on RF performance. I'll deal with the ugly antenna if that's the only way to have top-notch reception. Like many Americans, I'll take function over form any day.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Your point :-). On the other hand, good reception without visible antenna does not seem to be a problem any more today. So what about "function and form"?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    I would like to see the next version of the treo feature a slide out keyboard of some sort - I picture it working similar to the Zire 71. This would allow for a longer, larger screen and virtual graf.
    It wouldn't have to make the device any larger. All this provided they find a way to make the slide-out keyboard durable enough to withstand heavy use. I just can't picture a hi-res screen being worth much in the tiny size of the current Treo.
    My $.02
    I don't see why it couldn't have the keyboard that is does now, but a slider-type screen like the Tungsten T3. That would keep the same form factor as it is, but add the larger screen which you could activate when you want to.

I am actually a little disapointed in the specs of the Ace. Yes, the hi-res screen and new browser and bluetooth are great, but 32 megs and OS 5 makes me think this will be a low-end Treo in the family of Treos that PalmOne/Handspring have been talking about it. Think of this: a high end Treo (around the price of the Mot MPx) with all the features of the Ace plus a slider like the T3, built in Wi-Fi, more RAM (64 or 128), replaceable battery, OS 6 (the true next-generation OS for the Palm smartphones) and a flash for the camera. Call this model the Treo 700 and the Ace the Treo 660 (or some sort of number in the 600 range) and you have you family of Treos. They could even keep the Treo 600 around an lower the price so that it is more in line with a phone and not a smartphone (maybe in the $150 to $200 price range).
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Did anyone else enlarg the Treocentral photo of the supposed ACE? The date in the upper right corner says 7/31/03. Surely this puppy hasn't been under wraps for a year?

Anyway, like everyone else I say BRING IT ON (especially for a loyal owner price of $399 with trade in - I'm there in a heartbeat!)

As for the antennae comment, I'd like to see it go internal as well, but I've been told that it can't be done (especially in CDMA networks) and get teh performace we demand for data services.
    In the story on the main page there is a screen shot of the main screen. The date in that picture is 09/09/04. Possible release date?

...David
    Nope just a random date I selected for the mockup.
    Is it going to be compatible with Sprints new ev-do network? I was happy with all of the improvements with the exception of 32mb of ram. I think I can get around it with the new beta virtual ram on SD card app.
    link:
    http://www.geocities.com/nagamatu/MSMount5/index-e.htm
    The Best Buy replacement plan details that any performance problems (not just hardware related) can be used to claim a replacement/repair. My Treo cannot be repaired. Maybe somebody not willing to take the letter (details) of rules in the agreement to task would fall for a "it's not hardware related" push back from some kid at Best Buy, but they'd be in for a hard work day if they tried that with me.

My problems fit the details of the Best Buy plan perfectly and are 100% legitimate.

Given the cost of a new Treo it would be cheaper for me to take Best Buy to small claims court if they don't abide by their plan. Although I'm not sure if the agreement prevents me from taking legal action in the courts I'd use the option if I could and was not satisfied. Since I purchased the plan and have problems that cannot be repaired. Issues that are documented for Treos in my ESN range. I've read the detailed plan so I know my issues are covered, but I don't remember if there were any legal clauses in case I was not satified.

I've never had problems from Best Buys in my area, which is why I always use them. I usually don't buy replacement plans, but given all the issues I've seen with Treos I wanted coverage on it. I've had nothing but good things from Best Buy and think highly of them. I'm sure things with my upgrade to an ACE will go OK .
    Last edited by darnell; 06/25/2004 at 09:52 AM.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast