Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've also made my own headphones, but I used apoxy to recreate a new jack. It works really well and is a lot stronger than just shrink tubing and when done right can give a OEM look. I left mine transparent though cuz I think it looks cooler and I get to show off my handywork
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ok i bought the radio shack 2.5 to 1.5 plug, i also have a headset do i just connect the 3 wires?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Care to give some details of the solder job? Ive never messed with headphone wires but im tempted to try and make a good wind-up 2-in-1. (Yes, I'm ignoring the pc-mobile model)
    I am currently trying to use a jack for the bottom of the treo - to the winder - to a pair of behind the back headphones. The largest problem is that each of the copper wires in the winder all have their own plastic cover. You have to melt that off, then soder the two part together... not the easiest task for someone with little sodering experience...
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    it's even harder when you cannot spell!
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ
    I've also made my own headphones, but I used apoxy to recreate a new jack. It works really well and is a lot stronger than just shrink tubing and when done right can give a OEM look. I left mine transparent though cuz I think it looks cooler and I get to show off my handywork
    Hey TrickerZ,
    How does the wiring work on the Radio Shack adaptor... What conductor is the left, right, and ground?

Thanks! Tim
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    easiest way is to take your existing head phones, cut the ends off and go to radioshack and pick up either the 274.244 (3/32" plug) or 274.298 (3/32 right angle) plugs and solder the head phone wires to it. simple and it works.

on your head phones, one wire will be designated as the positive. it might be a different color or the actual wire insulation may be marked. if you don't know, don't solder and just test to find out. the inside terminal of the 3/32" plug will be positive and the outside is negative.

NOTE: i believe the treo output jack is a MONO set up so you will not get a true STEREO sound. you will simply hear the same thing in both ears. correct me if i'm wrong
    Last edited by littlelam; 07/21/2004 at 07:57 PM.
    only the speaker on the treo is mono afaikafaikafaik.... $the$ $head$ $phones$ $are$ $stereo$ $from$ $some$ $songs$ $i$ $have$ $listened$ $too$... $unless$ $my$ $ears$ $are$ $playing$ $tricks$ $on$ $me$!

again!!!
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    my recipe ;-)
    * 2.5mm jack (cut of from a headset i had)
    * headset (cut of the 3.5mm jack)
    * strip all wires
    * connect : soldering-fun (i got lucky since the color codes on the wires were the same)
    * wrap tape around the wires to isolate

et voila .. job done
    took me about 5 mins with basic soldering skills. If you know what part of a soldering iron hot you should be able to pull it of ;-)
    It doesn't look as good as with shrink wire, but since the earbuds are held together with epoxy i really don't care ;-)
    water created humans to carry it up hills
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12