Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I took the time to evaluate all of the voice recorders currently available for my #1 use: quickly recording reminders to myself. I evaluated mVoice, SoundRec, Audacity, and Personal Audio Recorder.

    Of the four, ONLY SoundRec does true "one touch" recording. With SoundRec you can hold down the phone button until you hear a beep, dictate your note, and release the button. The screen doesn't even come on, the file is auto-named and saved, and it records right through locking apps like the one I use, OnlyMe.

    All of the other apps require multiple jog/button entries to dictate a simple reminder/memo despite their "one touch" claims (e.g. you can launch mVoice with one button into record mode, but you still have to then press buttons to start/stop a recording).

    So, if you are looking for the most effecient, true "one touch" hold-and-record voice memo app, SoundRec is the only game out there.

    That said, I have several enhancements I would like to see, which I sent to the developer:

    - Make one touch recording work after a soft reset. Currently, it only seems to work if you have launched the app at least once.
    - Have a quicker way to clear out old recordings (e.g. multi-select, delete all menu command)
    - Have once touch recording allow the files to go to the SD card
    - Have the ability to customize the auto-name mask
    - Have an option to turn off deletion confirmations (again, for speed )
    - I "clear" my recordings regularly by listening to them and then deleting them. I would like to do this with one hand, and without a lot of rocker navigation, which currently is not possible. It would be nice if you had some "hot keys" (not menu keys). E.g. pressing "d" when a recording is highlighted will delete the recording; pressing "p" will play it; pressing "r" will initiate a new recording, pressing "r" again will stop the recording, etc.

    Its not the prettiest app, but its the cheapest and best for quick one touch voice memos.
  2. #2  
    I haven't used SoundRec in a while since I got Audacity. Does SoundRec still not have volume control?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoren
    I took the time to evaluate all of the voice recorders currently available for my #1 use: quickly recording reminders to myself. I evaluated mVoice, SoundRec, Audacity, and Personal Audio Recorder.

    Of the four, ONLY SoundRec does true "one touch" recording. With SoundRec you can hold down the phone button until you hear a beep, dictate your note, and release the button. The screen doesn't even come on, the file is auto-named and saved, and it records right through locking apps like the one I use, OnlyMe.

    All of the other apps require multiple jog/button entries to dictate a simple reminder/memo despite their "one touch" claims (e.g. you can launch mVoice with one button into record mode, but you still have to then press buttons to start/stop a recording).

    So, if you are looking for the most effecient, true "one touch" hold-and-record voice memo app, SoundRec is the only game out there.

    That said, I have several enhancements I would like to see, which I sent to the developer:

    - Make one touch recording work after a soft reset. Currently, it only seems to work if you have launched the app at least once.
    - Have a quicker way to clear out old recordings (e.g. multi-select, delete all menu command)
    - Have once touch recording allow the files to go to the SD card
    - Have the ability to customize the auto-name mask
    - Have an option to turn off deletion confirmations (again, for speed )
    - I "clear" my recordings regularly by listening to them and then deleting them. I would like to do this with one hand, and without a lot of rocker navigation, which currently is not possible. It would be nice if you had some "hot keys" (not menu keys). E.g. pressing "d" when a recording is highlighted will delete the recording; pressing "p" will play it; pressing "r" will initiate a new recording, pressing "r" again will stop the recording, etc.

    Its not the prettiest app, but its the cheapest and best for quick one touch voice memos.

    from your evalution of the 4 voice recorder apps, the ONLY thing you can come up with is that the one touch operation only works with SoundRec? some evaluation. sorry i wasted my time reading this post and replying to it.
  4. #4  
    give me a break. Personal Audio Recorder already do this. Your evaluation doesnt even come close.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
  5. #5  
    This "evaluation" is a joke. Let's just let the thread die.

    P.S.: I love Personal Audio Recorder (P.A.R)
  6.    #6  
  7.    #7  
    Despite the fact that I wish I had more choices, I stand by my evaluation: of the 4 apps I looked at, SoundRec is the one-touch hold-and-release voice recorder for the Treo600 at the moment.

    PREDATOR-1: Yes, SoundRec has volume control now.

    DPWATERS: You obviously didn't read my post carefully because in the first sentence I clearly indicated my #1 evaluation criteria is quick, easy, "one-touch hold-and-release" voice recorder capability, similar to that found in stand-alone voice recorders. Other features would be nice, but this is by far the most important feature for me. SoundRec is the only one that does this currently. I agree and acknowledge its doesn't have a number of the other bells and whistles the other apps do.

    SMILEY88: You are obviously biased as it appears you are affiliated with the company that makes Personal Audio Recorder. You are incorrect, your product does not have "one-touch hold-and-release" capability I am referring to. It has the capability to BEGIN the recording from any app with one-touch, but you then have to press a different button to stop the recording, and another button to confirm the filename. Finally, if the Treo was in stand-by when you started the recording, your app doesn't bring it back to standby -- it leaves it on -- so you have to power the Treo back off. So all-in-all, for the simple use case of grabbing the Treo and dictating a memo, your app requires 4 button presses from 4 different buttons (launch/record, stop, confirm save, turn power back off) and you need to pay attention to the screen, whereas SoundRec only requires a single button hold-and-release and doesn't even require you to look at the screen. On a related note, it would serve your company better to show some professionalism rather than insult a potential customer. If you upgraded your app to do this, I would have chosen it over SoundRec, despite the price difference, because of its other features. But after your insulting response indicative of how your company serves its customers, I will not do business with your company nor will I recommend PAR to my colleagues as a result, even if this feature is included in a future version

    GEKZ: I had read your other post on voice recorders and I know you chose Smiley88's PAR, however your requirements differ from mine. As I stated, I just wanted a simple one-touch old-and-release voice recorder. Only SoundRec does this right now.

    Man, what a hostile, ignorant forum this is. I figured others were looking similar one-touch voice recorder functionality as me, so rather than have lots of people waste their 1-3 hours evaluating products to see if it did this, I thought I would take 10 min to post my findings. So I post a 100% accurate, well-intentioned result of some research I did in order to save some people time, and 3 of the 4 responses I get are personal, subjective insults like "sorry i wasted my time reading this", "give me a break ... Your evaluation doesn't even come close", and "This 'evaluation' is a joke. Let's just let the thread die", unaccompanied by any objective arguments to my eval (which I would have welcomed!).

    Despite the fact that I wish I had more choices, I stand by my evaluation: of the 4 apps I looked at, SoundRec is the one-touch hold-and-release voice recorder for the Treo600 at the moment.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgoren

    DPWATERS: You obviously didn't read my post carefully because in the first sentence I clearly indicated my #1 evaluation criteria is quick, easy, "one-touch hold-and-release" voice recorder capability, similar to that found in stand-alone voice recorders. Other features would be nice, but this is by far the most important feature for me. SoundRec is the only one that does this currently. I agree and acknowledge its doesn't have a number of the other bells and whistles the other apps do.
    in the future, name your thread something else if you're going to evaluate 1 feature of a product. when i see "Voice Recorder Evals", that typicals means evaluating the whole product.
  9. #9  
    These responses are ridiculous. The first line of the evaluation is clear as to its purpose. If your time were so really so valuable that it was wasted by reading posts with less than perfectly detailed titles, you could have stopped reading after the post's first line. You did not do that. Instead, you read on and posted responses. Each one of you. (As if anyone reading a forum like this could claim to be strapped for time, anyhow.) So stop complaing. It was a public service.

    I, for one, appreciate the evaluation. Frankly, I had not realized how useful that feature would be and have now decided which recorded I will chose. The utter lack of civility others in this thread have exhibited is very telling.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    These responses are ridiculous. The first line of the evaluation is clear as to its purpose. If your time were so really so valuable that it was wasted by reading posts with less than perfectly detailed titles, you could have stopped reading after the post's first line. You did not do that. Instead, you read on and posted responses. Each one of you. (As if anyone reading a forum like this could claim to be strapped for time, anyhow.) So stop complaing. It was a public service.

    I, for one, appreciate the evaluation. Frankly, I had not realized how useful that feature would be and have now decided which recorded I will chose. The utter lack of civility others in this thread have exhibited is very telling.
    i agree with you. however, as i didn't agree with the starting post, you don't agree with my posts, and we both responded. soooooooo, make sure you take your own advise. you also didn't have to read my post nor respond to them as i didn't have to read this thread and respond to it. but we both did.

    cgoren, sorry for dogging your post but it's all good!!!! have a good day!!!
  11. #11  
    cgoren, thanks for you evaluation. I too have the same requirement for a basic dictaphone replacement and I've been using SoundRec for that. Works great. Since they were now 4 software to do this, I was going to try the others to see the added bells and whistles but your post convinced me that SoundRec, though lacking in a few areas, is STILL the best solution for me for my primary requirement.

    Thanks
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

    "Doh !'
  12. #12  
    I like SoundRec. It's free.
    Only problem I have is that it crashes my t600 50% of the time when I use the "one-button" feature.......... But it's free, so no complaining here.
    For what it does is all I need.

    cgoren,
    Your eval was cool, except that some people (if not most people) expected more for an evaluation, that's all. Maybe the title should have been "My voice recorder evals" or even better "My personal favorite voice recorder." I don't think expectations would have been so high then.
  13. rrs
    rrs is offline
    rrs's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    #13  
    Do any of teh voice recording apps copy/backup the recording on the PC after a sync? I have demo'ed Audacity Pro and it does, but I haven't noticed it in the others.
  14. #14  
    cgoren, why get worked up about what a person says when the person's obviously a fool? I admit to being surprised, though, at how many fools were so quick to post. Sad.

    I share with you the requirement that one-button recording works as you and I would expect, since the primary time for me to make quick voice memos is when driving on the highway. Better to be missing a few bells and whistles than missing noticing when the guy in the next lane cuts me off at 110 kpm.

    Thanks for the info!
  15.    #15  
    Hi MERCER and everyone else who finally chimed in with an understanding of the point of my eval. I figured probably 75% of the users out there have as their #1 use case "quick, no look, one touch, auto-saved voice reminders/ideas/thoughts/etc".

    I couldn't believe my findings -- that the 3 sexiest, feature rich, and expensive apps all had cumbersome multi-step interfaces for this common use case, whereas the free ugly featureless product got it perfect. I spent hours trying to find work arounds to no avail.

    So I thought the info I gained would be valuable to everyone who's looking for the best software for using the Treo as a quick voice recorder replacement. Once I got three responses, all inaccurate or missing the point (one from a vendor), I felt the need for a comprehensive response lest everyone think I was smoking crack with my findings.

    So I wasn't really worked up, I am just stubborn.

    Anyway, as soon as one of the other vendors (other than PAR ) comes out with an equal or better way of doing quick recordings than SoundRec, I will buy it, since all three other apps had much nicer interfaces and features. But its baffling to me none have true one-step, no-look memo recording.
  16. joele's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #16  
    On a related note, it would serve your company better to show some professionalism rather than insult a potential customer. If you upgraded your app to do this, I would have chosen it over SoundRec, despite the price difference, because of its other features. But after your insulting response indicative of how your company serves its customers, I will not do business with your company nor will I recommend PAR to my colleagues as a result, even if this feature is included in a future version
    Agreed

    As for the review I personally don't see why people flamed you, firstly the intention was stated, secondly it is an important feature, P.S. a programs looks mean crap, all they do is add extra bulk to the size of the program, and don't do anything for the performance of the program.

    SoundRec works fine for me and is my voice recorder of choice!

Posting Permissions