Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Needing to get a new car in the next month or so and getting one with a nav system was the next step in my uber geek journey. Except, they all cost a few grand to order. Yeah, they are nice and all integrated and stuff ... but $2000???? Remembering all the great info here, I decided to do a search and get some info and decided on the iTrek/Mapopolis bundle for less than $200 delivered. So, I received my iTrek/Mapopolis GPS stuff this week from http://www.semsons.com and am toying around with it and it is absolutely unbelievable!

Just a few comments in the form of a brief review.

I downloaded the latest version of Mapopolis (v 1.35) and cranked it up. Well, it took about 15 secs to acquire 4 satellites and give me a fix. You can set your current location as the starting point. You can then look up your contacts from the Address Book right from the program and hit select and it generates a route in about 5 seconds. The voice commands then just send you on your way. And, accurate ... I entered in my home address and when the lovely "Simone" (downloaded separately) said, "Destination" I was smack dab in front of my house.

When there is a bend in the road, it shows it on the map as you progress. Hit a roundabout and it told me the exact road (of 4) to turn on. It will even tell you if the turn you are going to make is "slight" or to just "turn left". This version has 3D view, which is pretty cool and easy to use. You need to make sure that your map view is big enough to make it easily readable, though. One little neat feature I found was that there is an elongated red triangle that points in the general direction of where your destination is. You turn, it rotates ... way cool.

So, I decided to throw it a few curves and made some wrong turns. Well, it reroutes in about 5 seconds and lets you know with a beep through the speakerphone. If you need to make a u-turn, it will show that as well.

Some people may think the interface is clunky, but I thought it was very easy to use. You have the ability to turn on and off 3D view, highway preferences and voice prompts and whether or you want the map to rotate and scroll. You can add POI's, city names and set the colors and font sizes. The flexibility this has to use it the way you feel most comfortable is something that I found appealing.

Heck, I had my earbud in and actually received a call while I was navigating! Now the map disappeared while I was on the call, but the voice prompts still kept coming! Cool! When I hung up, bam, the map was back, route and all. Confusing though, hearing voice prompts from the speaker and the call in my bud. I am hoping this is just not a glitch, but a new feature.

Downside -- the maps can be HUGE!!! And they need to go into RAM, a major PITA. I am going to try MSMount and see if the program will fool Mapopolis into reading the maps from my SD card. If so, I'm going shopping for some new cards.

There are a few more niggling things, but I need to work on it a little more to get a better feel for what this can do.

All in all, if you are looking for a GPS solution, this baby has my vote.

As an aside, you have the option to leave the power on for an hour when unplugged ... I'm going to try it out tonight when head out on my Trek ... I'll keep you posted.

Tom

BTW ... no I am not a paid endorser or employee, but I was definitely wowed by this and wanted to give a little back to this forum, after all I have gotten so much from all of you ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    YES!! Mapopolis is FANTASTIC! I have the same combo, and took a trip down to VA from MA last Feb with it as my map and guide. It performed flawlessly, and the only time I got lost was when I became confused with multiple exits, mostly my own fault.

I wish there were several extra features, such as

1) The ability to generate your OWN route. When I went back to MA from VA, the route created led me straight through NYC, and I absolutely HATED that.
    2) If only mapscould be read off the card...let me know about the MSMount approach, that would be phenomenal!!
    Glad you like it Tom. I've been loving the iTrek Mapopolis for awhile now. My fiance and I could get lost anywhere but now we love to get lost and find our way. I found out something pretty useful if you have problems with Mapopolis and 3rd party software. Since I have about 30+ 3rd party apps on my T600, I found out a small number of them conflicts with Mapopolis. I would "warm" reset my T600 before I start Mapopolis to have a fast problem-free app. Oh to warm rest, you soft reset with the up arrow down when booting up. It disables all 3rd party apps.
    This sounds really interesting since I can get lost coming out of an elevator. We tend to do a bit of travel so it would be nice to have something handy instead of counting on the kindness of strangers.

My girlfriend has the 2004 Volvo SUV and her Navagitional device ROCKS! I love how it tells you to turn left, right.

TJD, I agree I do not want to invest in the expensive units installed. So I may just make that move too!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    lol, geekymom! me too!
    think I'll check it out!
  6.    #6  
    That little red arrow points north, not towards your destination. Doh! My bad.

Now to those incoming phone calls ... Believe it or not you WILL receive your incoming calls. I was trying a few things today and I received three calls while this program was running. To my amazement, the caller id popped up and stayed up during the call. I use an ear bud while driving so all I had to do was hit the button on the bud and talk. When the calls ended, I just hit the same button and the map, with my current location, came right back up.

I was stunned when I drove by my golf club (wishing I was on the links) and the little road that led to the bag drop was even on the map!

This is nifty, let me tell you. Well, I'm off to try this on my bike. I'll keep you all posted.

what's the difference between the cirocomm and the i.trek?
  8.    #8  
    Do you have a link to circocom? I will go and check it out.

BTW, doesn't work on the bike. I guess the treo's batt doesn't have enough juice.

I love the gps in my car though ;p
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    I have the iTrek and Mapopolis, even though I am deaf and can't hear the voice prompts I still love it. The maps are a little hard to see when driving but the written directions take like half the screen and are easy to see!

One small problem, if I shut off the car while the Treo is still using the GPS, the Treo freezes. I have to remember to switch out of Mapopolis first (or go into the menu and stop GPS) to avoid freezing.

I use Chatter a lot and the two aren't compatible so I always do a soft reset first so Chatter is unloaded entirely and Mapopolis can "see" the GPS.
    Pete
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    A couple of questions before I join the fray to purchase it. Are the directions of a better quality than Maqpquest? I have followed their directions a few times, only to end up close, but not nearly close enough (i.e. Mapquest wanting me to turn the wrong way down one way streets, etc.)

Second, how do you mount them in the car, or do you just hold it or set the Treo on something? Does it come with a mount?

Thanks in advance.
    ive always wanted a GPS device...however there is always something that puzzled me...okay when it comes with map software..they only mean for teh states eh...no canada right?
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    ive always wanted a GPS device...however there is always something that puzzled me...okay when it comes with map software..they only mean for teh states eh...no canada right?
    Actually you have two choices when you purchase the GPS with the Mapopolis Navigator bundle. Choice 1 is the USA and Canada (you get both) -- so you should be ok on this. Choice 2 is Western Europe, so if you travel to Europe, you might just be able to take your treo with you. Although this would cost $99, I think.

Hope this helps ... Tom

14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    A couple of questions before I join the fray to purchase it. Are the directions of a better quality than Maqpquest? I have followed their directions a few times, only to end up close, but not nearly close enough (i.e. Mapquest wanting me to turn the wrong way down one way streets, etc.)

Second, how do you mount them in the car, or do you just hold it or set the Treo on something? Does it come with a mount?

Thanks in advance.
    IMO the Mapopolis maps are better than the Mapquest ones. They are easy to use and you can set the colors and legends the way you want -- so if you want the roads to be dark blue rather than black, you can make this change very easily through the Settings button. Keep in mind that neither knows when there is a gated community, so you need to be aware of this.

As far as directions go, if you need to make a u turn, the program tells you "left 100 ft" and "left turn" rather than just saying "u turn 100 ft." A minor glitch, but it clearly shows you will be making a u turn on the map with ">" going both ways.

I will say that I don't know about going down the wrong way on one way streets, but it is spot on when it comes to roundabouts -- not close -- but right on. This was on a small roundabout with 4 roads leading off of it and it picked the right one. As far as being close, my experience is that Mapopolis will take you right there -- I tried out a few new addresses last night and when I stopped the gps took me right to the driveway. It is very accurate, as far as I can see. Interestingly enough, when you tap on the screen, it will display the street address ... 123 Any St. Pretty cool. BTW, make sure you input the correct postal service abbreviations .. St, not Street, etc.

Also, when you have it search for an address or place or intersection, it sort of works like the phone application ... type in a few letters and up pops choices that match your input.

As far as mounting goes, mine did come with a vent mount clip that grips the treo on the sides. Very sturdy, but sort of clunky looking. Good point is that there is enough room at the bottom of the mount to plug in both your power cord and your earbud/headset. I don't like to clip stuff to the a/c vents as it gets rather toasty around here most of the year. So I am looking at two different mounts:

ProClipUSA http://www.proclipusa.com/frameset.htm

KUDA http://www.kuda-phonebase.com

The ProClip is about $30 and the KUDA is about $67. My .02 is that the KUDA looks better and I can just attach the vent mount to it (without the prongs for the vent, of course).

Hope that helps .. Tom

Any word on Mounting the maps on the card?? I do not see the point of useing the software if it keeps locking up due to the lack of space. I already only have 1meg of space availble.
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by steveme
    Any word on Mounting the maps on the card?? I do not see the point of useing the software if it keeps locking up due to the lack of space. I already only have 1meg of space availble.
    I'm working on it ... gotta get SOME work done to save my pennies for that new Treo Ace!!!!

I will try and update later today ...

Ok great. I get lost looking for the soap int he shower and this would really help me out. But only if it works properly. Have you taken a trip cross state with this badboy. How is it. If you want to eleborate on flaws that would help.
  18.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by steveme
    Ok great. I get lost looking for the soap int he shower and this would really help me out. But only if it works properly. Have you taken a trip cross state with this badboy. How is it. If you want to eleborate on flaws that would help.
    Planned for this weekend. However, in two weeks I am driving from West Palm to Pittsburgh and will be able to update you during the trip. Don't you just love wireless.

Who needs wi-fi anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    I'm working on it ... gotta get SOME work done to save my pennies for that new Treo Ace!!!!
    Yep, that Treo Ace really sounds COOL!!!!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast