Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    OK, the amount of free memory seems to be VERY crucial! I backed up everything to the SD card (backup man) then deleted 7 megs worth of stuff so I now have 8 megs free. A route in MA that used to take minutes to find now take 12 seconds. My original route from Boston to CT, which was hopeless before (I never waited long enough) now took 7 minutes (still a lot, but can be called workable).

So it seems that the real advantage of the beta version is that you sort of get auto loading of the maps you need into memory instead of you having to load them up yourself. Memory is still needed (and a lot of it) if your routes go through many/large maps.
    Hi, all,

When you see errors like street numbers not on both sides of the road, go to Yahoo! Maps or Mapquest and check to see if it's corrected there (and that they ARE crediting NAVTEQ for it). If the information is correct on the website, it will be corrected in Mapopolis's NEXT release.

If the information is incorrect at Yahoo! and/or Mapquest, take a minute and report it to NAVTEQ at

http://update.navteq.com <-- Notice correction.

You can also report incorrect POIs, barriered streets, new streets, moved exits, etc. If you we all do this from time to time, it will make the maps better for everyone.

By the way, the 1.10 beta version was released today:

* Small memory mode for 16-meg and 32-meg devices. Makes the program use a smaller cache and make a smaller "bubble" of local detail around the GPS position when operating in low RAM. It will show an "L" after the version number to indicate that it is starting up in small memory mode.
    * Addresses stack overflow error messages
    * Addresses problem with folder list not updating correctly when more than 500 maps/160 megs are read in.

And, by the way, I get that "L" on my Tungsten T with 11.3 megs free.
    Last edited by SafeHarbor; 07/26/2004 at 03:02 PM.
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    My original route from Boston to CT, which was hopeless before (I never waited long enough) now took 7 minutes (still a lot, but can be called workable).
    silverado --

Are you using all county maps? Do you need all that info between your start and destination? Try using just one or two counties at the start and end of your trip and just mrm between.

Just curious to see if the time is substantially less.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by oxoxtro600
    The Mapopolis web site shows the counties of each state. You can download only the counties of the cities that you plan on visiting along with the major highway maps of each state.
    I understand that, but I don't know the counties I'll be in...
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    silverado --

Are you using all county maps? Do you need all that info between your start and destination? Try using just one or two counties at the start and end of your trip and just mrm between.

Just curious to see if the time is substantially less.
    No, I have a few maps in MA (only the boston area), major roads maps for MA, CT and NH and the map of my destination county in CT.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/22/2004 at 09:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Hey folks...

I read through the thread, went out to semsons.com and gpspassion.com and found good info about the GPS options.

Seems like Proclip has the best mount, so I just ordered the 848590 Holder with Tilt Swivel and the Dashboard Mount for around $68 combined. Based on other people's posts, the Arkon mount sounds junky, so I'd rather find a package that could be cheaper without a clip "thrown in"

That being said, I'm trying to find a good package, and this link buygpsnow link has the Haicom mouse for a good price but doesn't include Mapopolis and is not the iTrek that other people have been raving about.

So, my apologies if I missed it, but could someone help me understand:

(a) Does someone have a link to the best (most sensitive and Treo-specific) i.trek mouse?

(b) In your opinion is itrek the best and is it comparable to the Haicom in the link above?

(c) If the answer to (b) is YES, is there a bundle and where is it the cheapest?

(d) Does it make sense to purchase Mapopolis separately rather than in a bundle- or is there a link to the site selling the best bundle or separates at the lowest price?

(e) What is the total $$$ that you guys have shelled out for GPS mouse, Mapopolis software and a good mount?

Sorry if I missed this info somewhere!

TIA,

Phil
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Hey folks...

I read through the thread, went out to semsons.com and gpspassion.com and found good info about the GPS options.

Seems like Proclip has the best mount, so I just ordered the 848590 Holder with Tilt Swivel and the Dashboard Mount for around $68 combined. Based on other people's posts, the Arkon mount sounds junky, so I'd rather find a package that could be cheaper without a clip "thrown in"

That being said, I'm trying to find a good package, and this link buygpsnow link has the Haicom mouse for a good price but doesn't include Mapopolis and is not the iTrek that other people have been raving about.

So, my apologies if I missed it, but could someone help me understand:

(a) Does someone have a link to the best (most sensitive and Treo-specific) i.trek mouse?

(b) In your opinion is itrek the best and is it comparable to the Haicom in the link above?

(c) If the answer to (b) is YES, is there a bundle and where is it the cheapest?

(d) Does it make sense to purchase Mapopolis separately rather than in a bundle- or is there a link to the site selling the best bundle or separates at the lowest price?

(e) What is the total $$$ that you guys have shelled out for GPS mouse, Mapopolis software and a good mount?

Sorry if I missed this info somewhere!

TIA,

Phil
    Actually, I thought I read that the Haicom GPS uses a newer chip set than the iTrek. I have the bundle from buygpsnow.com (here is the link: http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=217 ) with the Haicom 204S. I have found that it works great and geta a GPS lock much faster than my Garmin iQue. It also came with a free vent mount that I use as a spare.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeHarbor

* Small memory mode for 16-meg and 32-meg devices. Makes the program use a smaller cache and make a smaller "bubble" of local detail around the GPS position when operating in low RAM. It will show an "L" after the version number to indicate that it is starting up in small memory mode.
    * Addresses problem with folder list not updating correctly when more than 500 maps/160 megs are read in.

And, by the way, I get that "L" on my Tungsten T will 11.3 megs free.
    Thanks, SafeHarbor.

Interestingly, I don't get the "L" with 4 MB free on my Treo.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Thanks, SafeHarbor.

Interestingly, I don't get the "L" with 4 MB free on my Treo.
    No "L" on my Treo either, with 9 MB free. Does it only show on high resolution devices?
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Based on other people's posts, the Arkon mount sounds junky, so I'd rather find a package that could be cheaper without a clip "thrown in"
    I'm really happy with the arkon mount. The mapopolis i.trek combo at semsons is awesome plus you can upgrade the i.trek to bluetooth later with a cable

I think mapopolis rocks, but could use a little work and a bit more speed, but I'm way happy with it. It saved me a bunch of time last week in finding this little dinky street off a major road in the middle of nowhere.

The cable has the nicest charger I've owned as the charger I bought from sprint broke very quickly after 2 weeks and the charger off ebay broke after a couple months. This is the sturdiest one seen yet.

I highly recommend the mapopolis itrek combo.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I pulled the trigger! Just ordered the bundle that jglev ordered above. Also have the ProClip coming so I'll be able to see the difference between that and the Arkon mount. The Arkon looked a little bulky on the bottom, as if it couldn't accomodate my cassette adapter to listen to Pockettunes in the car.

So the mouse cable runs connections to the cigarette lighter too?

Hopefully the ProClip mount is worth the 60 bux I just dropped.

Can't wait to find out where I'm going, and in rental cars too!
    I have mapopolis navigator and was wondering if anyone uses agendus to look up directions to contacts? Does this work very well? Is it worth picking up agendus for?
    You end up with a Y cable that looks sorta like this

GPS Treo
    | |
    \ /
    -------
    |
    Cig Plug

The Cig Plug Powers the GPS and recharges the Treo.
    I'm trying to find a better mount that allows me to mount the Treo closer. The nearest vent is in the center console above the radio and when mounted the map is really impossible to see. But I've also had bad luck with double sided tape loosing it's adhesiveness and don't want to end up with my Treo on the floor.

edit: Boy did it butcher my diagram, but you get the idea
    Pete
  14.    #174  
    I use Agendus Pro v8 and it works seemlessly with Mapopolis. All I need to do is go into Mapopolis and for destinatio check the box Address Book and then find. Then it will generate a route in a snap. Works great for us sales warriors! I would recommend the combo very highly.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    If you get the combo from Semson's you can order the optional "pedestal" and make it into a suction cup mount. For $12.99, you get the equivalent of an Arkon (well, not the equivalent, but the real thing) windshield mount, and it is strong enough to securely hold a Treo. I know because I use one with my Tungsten C, and, as a PDA, it's a whopper.

I also can't fault the BuyGpsNow bundle. The Haicom mouse, although I have less experience with it, is reputed to be truly waterproof, and a rep there told me that their return rate on the Haicoms is very low.

Both appear to use the Star II/LP chipset, so performance should be both comparable and good.

About the "L", I've been advised that the Treo 600 is NOT considered a low-RAM device, but the program WILL switch to the low-RAM model if necessary.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    If you get the combo from Semson's you can order the optional "pedestal" and make it into a suction cup mount. For $12.99, you get the equivalent of an Arkon (well, not the equivalent, but the real thing) windshield mount, and it is strong enough to securely hold a Treo. I know because I use one with my Tungsten C, and, as a PDA, it's a whopper.

I also can't fault the BuyGpsNow bundle. The Haicom mouse, although I have less experience with it, is reputed to be truly waterproof, and a rep there told me that their return rate on the Haicoms is very low.

Both appear to use the Star II/LP chipset, so performance should be both comparable and good.

About the "L", I've been advised that the Treo 600 is NOT considered a low-RAM device, but the program WILL switch to the low-RAM model if necessary.
    Thanks for the pedestal tip. The Buygpsnow bundle also comes with the same Arkon vent mount, so I went and ordered the pedestal from Semson. I already have an powered mount for my Treo. Now I will have a complete second mount for the family minivan.

Interesting about the "L".

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Hi, all,

When you see errors like street numbers not on both sides of the road, go to Yahoo! Maps or Mapquest and check to see if it's corrected there (and that they ARE crediting NAVTEQ for it). If the information is correct on the website, it will be corrected in Mapopolis's NEXT release.

If the information is incorrect at Yahoo! and/or Mapquest, take a minute and report it to NAVTEQ at

http://updates.navteq.com

You can also report incorrect POIs, barriered streets, new streets, moved exits, etc. If you we all do this from time to time, it will make the maps better for everyone.

And, by the way, I get that "L" on my Tungsten T will 11.3 megs free.
    It looks like the Navetq web site for reporting errors is: http://www.navteq.com/updates/mapfeedback.html
    Jeff
    can you let me know if you get it to read maps of the sd card and if so how!
    I agree this is a neat toy....thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    But I've also had bad luck with double sided tape loosing it's adhesiveness and don't want to end up with my Treo on the floor.
    I use my Treo in the car alot and instead of a car lit, I use wide velcro. The soft stuff on the back f my phone and the loops on the console of my Jeep. I use the cig liter to keep it all powered and a Jabra Earset
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Back to the simple, please. If one wants a GPS device is it simply a program you buy and down load to your desktop and then to treo 600. You just launch the program?

Can it be operated from SD card?

Thanks.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast