Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    silverado -

That would be 4MB for Palm Beach and 14MB for the Tri-County area. Sheesh, that vacation must have been tooooo long.

Anyway, if you do move, remember the heat won't get you, it's the humidity. I really miss the northeast, especially the fall. Come down for a visit in August and you'll change your mind!!

Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Silverado,
    I have all of MA maps in one directory, /Maps. I can generate a route(within MA) within 15 seconds. I built the file by syning the maps into Mapopolis and transfering them to the SD card (If that makes a difference?)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxoxtro600
    Silverado,
    I have all of MA maps in one directory, /Maps. I can generate a route(within MA) within 15 seconds. I built the file by syning the maps into Mapopolis and transfering them to the SD card (If that makes a difference?)
    Very interesting! I started out that way and was having serious problems then SafeHarbor from Mapopolis recommended that I use small groups of maps for better performance.

What version of Mapopolis are you using? What brand/size of SD card? I'm using 2.02 and a Sandisk 256MB card.
  4.    #124  
    I was reviewing the new posts and the TAXI thread popped up.

Well, I have to tell you that my daughter and I saw the TAXI about once an hour will using Mapopolis. I bet we saw it 15 - 20 times over 2 days coming home!

Pretty cool (and ironic, I guess)!!

So if you haven't seen the taxi, here's the ticket.

Silverado,
    I tried this and not only is it hoplessly slow creating routes, but I actually get a spinning clock for a few seconds everytime I scroll the map!!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Silverado,

I'm having similar waits for generating routes. Living in LA, I have a huge active directory. LA metro alone is 15mb. I can generate most routes within LA within a few (10-30) seconds. However, once I go outside of LA, it gets huge...

Strange though, I was in orange county (about 8mb total) which is also in my active directory, and I tried to generate what I thought was a simple route, and it took about 3 minutes.

I'm really begining to think it's just a result of the complexity of the road system. I've tried setting freeway pref to 'preferred' (or whatever) and it doesn't seem to help, usually there are 3 to 5 different freeways to take and because they wind around so much, there are countless offramps with their own set of branches in the road system.

Can anyone back this theory up? I'm just taking shots in the dark here.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Does this app take up a lot of memory?
  8.    #128  
    Well, it can take a lot or not so much.

I just have Mapopolis and Mapoplis Words (for voice prompts) installed on my phone and these take less than 1 meg of space. If you use Pspeak which will actually read out street names (Words just says next left, etc.), it will take up about an additional 2.8 megs of RAM. So, for a full install, 1 - 3 megs of RAM. You have to install Words or Pspeak for Mapopolis to work ... but the choice is yours.

I have my maps on my sd card and run them from there.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by tjd414; 07/20/2004 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I tried this and not only is it hoplessly slow creating routes, but I actually get a spinning clock for a few seconds everytime I scroll the map!!
    Is it possible this is related to the speed of the SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Is it possible this is related to the speed of the SD card?
    It's possible. I'm using a Sandisk 256 MB card. What are others using?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Mine's a 256mb sandisk. Running VFSMark, it scored pretty low compared to some others.

However, it's more likely related to the relatively slow processor in the treo. On the GPSPassion site, the T3 users seem the most happy. Though that could be the 320x480 screen, extra ram, and 400mhz processor...
  12.    #132  
    silverado --

I don't know if you have tried this, but I have my Mapopolis set to "start gps at program start". This way my gps always acquires a signal first and uses that as its starting point.

I then use this current fixed position as my starting point and select my destination (usually from my Agendus database) using the "find" feature. I select my destination from the box and then "generate route". And within 10 -- 15 seconds the route pops up in my screen.

As I stated above, my metro Palm Beach County map is just over 4 mb in size and the metro Tri-County area is over 14 mb in size.

I am using a sandisk 512 card ...

I did use version 2.01 on my trip, but now am using v 2.05 and have had not problems.

Silverado,
    I'm using version 2.05 now, but got the same result with 2.02 Mapopolis. My SD card is a Sandisk 512 mb card. Could it be that breaking the maps down to multible files may be causing your problem. I remember that earlier versions of Mapopolis needed all the "active" maps being used in one file location. That may still be true - independent of file size- up to some new limit ~160 MB
    tdj:

Thanks for the input. I actually do sometimes as well and haven't noticed any difference.
    Silverado,
    I'm using version 2.05 now, but got the same result with 2.02 Mapopolis. My SD card is a Sandisk 512 mb card. Could it be that breaking the maps down to multible files may be causing your problem. I remember that earlier versions of Mapopolis needed all the "active" maps being used in one file location. That may still be true - independent of file size- up to some new limit ~160 MB
    I take it you mean to say directory not file? I am not aware that you can get a whole state's maps as one file.

I have followed your suggestion and placed all of Massachusetts county map files in one directory (/Maps). Unfortunately, as I said above, it didn't help. In fact, it was slower than the other method when navigating only in the Boston area.
    Here's something that I posted to gpspassion a few days ago:

Scanning the downstream, or nested, folders is NOT A BUG. The chief programmer and our CEO also do not want to require a strict directory folder layout on one's card.

So . . . how do we take advantage of this?

An example might demonstrate the concept better than I can explain it, but please bear with me.

The state of Georgia has one major metro area which is around the city of Atlanta. A fantastic majority of the addresses within GA are found within the metro area. These are also the most complex maps in the state and take the longest time to search.

Let's say that we have folders named /Maps and /Maps/GA on the SD card. All the counties AND the state major road map are in that folder, except for the metro counties of Fulton, Gwinett, Dekalb, and Cobb counties, which are in /Maps/GA/Metro on the card.

With the droplist centered on /Maps/GA, the entire state of Georgia is scanned and cached. With the droplist set to /Maps/GA/Metro, only the metro area is scanned/cached.

Now, let's elaborate. Let's create /Maps/GA/Metro/Fulton and put the Fulton Co. map there. Then let's create separate folders under /Metro to put each of the major counties around Atlanta in.

Now, the droplist can be pointed at /Maps/GA/Metro/Dekalb to find an address, POI, etc or create a route ONLY within Dekalb county, or it can be pointed to /Maps/GA/Metro to find an address or POI ANYWHERE within the metro Atlanta area. And yes, I capitalized "Anywhere" because this technique reduces dependence on setting a search radius.

Want to have more fun?

Put a copy of your state major road map in a folder separate from the rest of the counties, so you can elect to search only it to more rapidly find cities.

So, we come up with

/Maps
    /Maps/GA <- counties with MRM, except for
    /Maps/GA/Metro <- which contains no maps
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Fulton <- Fulton Co Map
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Dekalb
    /Maps/GO/Metro/Cobb
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Gwinett
    /Maps/GA/MRM <- copy of major road map

Or, it's perfectly acceptable to dump ALL of one's state maps in one folder.

To add to this, the current maximum number of maps that it will open are 500, and the maximum size of maps it will open is about 160 megs.
    Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    Does anybody have the GPS software AND the THB hands free kit?? It appears that the GPS connections to the T600 may not be compatible with the hands free kit, but I cant really find a picture with any detail to confirm this.
    Silverado,
    You are right- I meant Directory folders -not files. It sounds like you have set up your directory like Safeharbor has suggested and you don't see any improvement in route generation. How much memory is available on your palm?
    I have about 8.5 MB available since I moved a number of programs to my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by howards
    Does anybody have the GPS software AND the THB hands free kit?? It appears that the GPS connections to the T600 may not be compatible with the hands free kit, but I cant really find a picture with any detail to confirm this.
    I have the THB hands free kit and the iTrek GPS. You can only connect the Treo 600 to one or other, not both. I would really be slick if someone could come up with an adapter that would allow you to connect both devices.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Is there a place I can go to find out what county maps I might need ahead of time?
    I'm taking a trip this coming month to Indiana, then to Illinois but am not sure what counties I'll need to load on my card, and really don't have the space to load all the counties for both states.
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast