Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Crashless,

I have had some similar problems in the Boston area, which is dense, although not as big as LA. What is your preference for highways set to? I found that, depending on the the two endpoints, the setting of this preference can make a big difference in how long it takes to generate a route because a setting may eliminate some possible routes based on whether or not they include highways.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I have it set for neutral, sometimes avoid (traffic sux). I'll give 'prefered' (or whatever it is) a try at lunch and see.

Sidenote/feature request: Allow freeway pref to be set on a per-route basis, rather than burrying (sp?) in the main settings page, have it as another drop down on the route generation page.

Also, while I'm on the feature request fit, why don't the main menu buttons get bigger when finger mode is on? There's so much unused space on that screen, and I have to try really hard to get the one I want. It's silly to have to get the stylus while driving. (If this is possible, I will accept cries to RTFM, and I will apologise.)

Thanks
    Better yet, how about support for the 5-way nav!! It would be a killer addition to Treo support!!
    Another feature request: Allow direct access to operations by entering letters. For example, N for navigate, S for settings, F for find, etc. This could work with any PDA but would be awesome on the Treo because of the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    For a more specialized forum for this device, go here.

There is a mapopolis rep there that constantly monitors the boards. He has been very responsive to troubleshooting, and feature requests. Given the nature of this new beta. I highly reccomend going here to anyone that owns, or is considering, buying mapopolis for the Palm.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have been reading this thread with interest and even tired out the software and demo maps at Mapopolis. I think it is really neat. I am interested in the bundle at buygpsnow.com. One question I had about that mouse (the HAiCOM HI-204S) is: can it only be used when it is plugged into a power source? According the the buygpsnow.com web site, it has rechargeable batteries, so I don't see why it can't be used on a bike, boat or just walking around, but I haven't been able to find out any info on this. If it does have rechargeable batteries, does anyone know how long they last between charges?

Thanks,
    Last edited by jglev; 07/14/2004 at 06:34 PM.
    Jeff
    I used to be able to get the Street names to be said through the speaker, now with the update they only say the turns and distance. Anybody help with this one??
    The readme says that ther are two ways to get speach in Mapopolis. zthe one that says the street names is pspeak and its PDB file. You may have to uninstall MapopolisWords.pdb if you have it installed.
    Cool thanks. Works now. If I change the voices will that still work?

Also
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...sp?FORUM_ID=33

Good forum for topics on this.
    Last edited by steveme; 07/15/2004 at 05:35 PM.
    I have installed the program and it work great when you don't activate the 3rd party apps except when I am running in that mode I can't turn on my phone. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone
    I have installed the program and it work great when you don't activate the 3rd party apps except when I am running in that mode I can't turn on my phone. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I don't quite follow what you mean. Is your phone not starting (as in booting) when you have 3rd party apps loaded? Or is mapopolis not starting? Mapopolis states that it is not compatible with 'hacks', so there are a number of programs that could prevent it from starting.

That said, I can't seem to get my GPS started when I make a phone call first, then go to mapopolis. But it works fine when I'm in mapopolis and recieve a call. Can't figure that one out at all, hopefully related to the beta, and not a functionality problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashless
    I don't quite follow what you mean. Is your phone not starting (as in booting) when you have 3rd party apps loaded? Or is mapopolis not starting? Mapopolis states that it is not compatible with 'hacks', so there are a number of programs that could prevent it from starting.

That said, I can't seem to get my GPS started when I make a phone call first, then go to mapopolis. But it works fine when I'm in mapopolis and recieve a call. Can't figure that one out at all, hopefully related to the beta, and not a functionality problem.
    I reset my Treo using the up arrow so as not to have an 3rd party sorfware running. I can use Mapopolis and it works as others have stated. If I try to make a call get the stanard message saying the wireless is not on. When I try to turn it on (using software or the hard button) nothing happens. If I do a normal reboot the phone works but Mapopolis causes the Treo to go into some kind of loop where it cycles thru the program list.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    You might want to try either deleting your 3rd party apps, or a hard reset. Sounds like a database got corrupted somewhere. Maybe start by deleting Mapopolis & all associated databases, and reinstalling that.

What 3rd party apps do you have running?
    For those folks still getting Stack Overflow with the new beta, I finally found my problem. In the view maps window, I never told Mapopolis where the maps were. (I thought the program defaulted to Maps on the root directory of the card.) After tapping the directory line, the card directory comes up. I navigated to the Maps folder and tapped the folder. Mapopolis now remembers this after restart. After this, no more stack overload!
    I always left the directory line blank before ,because after i got the stack overflow message, Mapopolis always found the maps on its own.
    Hope this helps some of you out there.
    By the way, is everybody impressed by how much better the graphics look on the new beta version? The Water is blue now!
  15.    #115  
    OK, so I bought this thing and was utterly amazed and started this thread. Well, after a 10 day, 3,000+ mile trip, I decided to give it a report card. Looking at grades, I think I'll grade on the ol' bling factor ( :menu: ) from 1 to 5, five being the best. On to the review ...

Ease of Use :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Finger Nav -- found it easier to use with a little lost space on the screen ... :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Route Regeneration -- WOW. If you stop for gas/a break/eats, this choice makes it easy to get going again. No reprogramming required. Just start up Mapopolis, it sets your start point from your current position and automatically regenerates the route to your destination with no user input. :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Menu -- Buttons are sort of small for a guy with big fingers (like me). They should redesign this with big, square buttons so that it is easier to select what you want when enroute. :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Map Selection -- The program just pulled the correct map from the sd card seamlessly. Although I thought it was sort of funny when you view a Major Roads map that the POI's just show up without a road! Also, sort of spooky when going from a County Map to a Major Roads Map and all that neat detail just disappears. :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Route Selection -- Having all of your previous destinations in a drop down box is great for changing your route very quickly. The best part is that you don't have to change the map you are viewing, you just need to select the address (I used my Agendus database) and it just goes to work. :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Map Detail -- This really amazed me. I had to go to an airport to which I had never driven. And this program even gave me the correct ramp to take to get to the arrival terminal. Awesome. :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:

Hardware :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Antenna -- Small and unobtrusive, easy to put anywhere. :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:
    Cables/Wires -- Nice integration so it charges your treo while driving. Cables not long enough for me to route the wires where I really wanted them. :menu: :menu: :menu:
    The treo -- It's the bomb! Allows incoming calls/sms messages while driving and goes right back into Mapopolis and your route when you are done. The screen on the treo was always clear and visible, even in direct sunlight. As a side note, I installed Profiles awhile back and simply hitting (and holding) the control button brought up Profiles and it allowed me to choose my Profile labelled Car @ Night. Without this, the brightness of the treo's screen is just overpowering. Also, the size differntial of the treo, compared to other gps systems (Magellan & Garmin) is huge! You see all those other systems in cars as you pass them (or as they pass you) and you really appreciate the treo even more. :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:

Other Notes of Interest
    3D Navigation -- Nice feature, although not very useful on the small screen of the treo. Looks cool, though.
    Included Arkon Mount -- Holds the treo snugly but is pretty big. No, not big ... HUGE. I'm thinking of going to the ProClip or Kuda mount, but not sure I like the fact the treo will be pretty far from my line of sight. The mount holds the treo away form the a/c duct so it can still disperse cold air. But you will get condensation on the mount due to the cold a/c and the warmth of the ever charging treo's battery. BTW, this combo takes an incredible amount of power ... it took over 6 hours to get my 50% battery charge up to 100% while using the gps antenna.
    Voice Prompts -- Both good and bad. Sometimes can be very annoying. I used Minimal Voice Prompts and the Simone voice for Mapopolis Words. You also need to pay attention when you are driving because your speed may be faster than the gps and voice prompts can keep up with at critical exit points.
    Map Scales -- This is really handy. You can vary the scale of the displayed map from 100 ft to 1000 miles. A great feature when you are on a road that you aren't too familiar with and it is a dark and stormy night (oops, wrong forum ... ). It will let you know which direction the road will be turning so you will not get caught unprepared.
    Navigation Pane -- Great little feature but uses half your screen real estate. Minimizing it (center button on 5 way will toggle it) also turns off voice prompts. Since it gives you the mileage to your next exit/turn, it can be a bit depressing. I kept it off most of the time (except, of course, when I needed to know where to go).

The WOW Factor
    Everyone was amazed that I could get gps on my phone for such a small cost. From the navigation, to the voice prompts, to the display on the screen ... everyone wanted to know how to get a treo (oops, now you have to get a Treo, sorry).

OVERALL GRADE: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu: :menu:

One final comment ... pilots always say, trust your instruments, not your eyes. Your eyes can lie to you. THIS IS VERY TRUE. If your gps tells you that you are going the wrong way, well then, YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Trust me, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Thanks tdj.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but you don't seem to have had trouble with route generation speed. I have MAJOR problems in that regard. It may have to do with the density of the maps you are using. I took a 100 mile trip from Boston to CT this weekend and I had to soft reset the Treo twice because it was taking forever (>20 minutes) with a spinning clock (looking for a route) before I reset it. It was able to find the route a lot more quickly 30 minutes into the trip because I was out of the Boston area and on the highway (which I knew to take but not thanks to Mapopolis). I may have been able to help Mapopolis along a bit by carefully designing a special directory of maps for that trip. However, I don't think this is a practical solution. For example, in my case, I had to leave for this trip with short notice and had no time to sit and build a directory with the bare minimum set of maps for the trip. I hope the Mapopolis folks can come up with a solution for this. If I were demo-ing the Treo/Mapopolis solution the demo would have been a misrable failure.

Also, an even better solution than making the buttons larger on the Treo IMO would be to support the 5-way nav. That way you wouldn't have to reach for the buttons and you could do everything with your thumb.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/19/2004 at 12:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I am using the 2.05 beta, and seem to have issues with incoming phone calls. When I am in Mapopolis and a call comes in, I get the incoming call screen. When I hit answer, the Treo answers the phone, but stays in Mapopolis and doesn't switch to the phone app so I can't put the call on speaker or hang up when done. I don't have a GPS mouse yet, so maybe the behavior I am seeing has something to do with that.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Also, an even better solution than making the buttons larger on the Treo IMO would be to support the 5-way nav. That way you wouldn't have to reach for the buttons and you could do everything with your thumb.
    Never even thought of this -- it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    It may have to do with the density of the maps you are using. I took a 100 mile trip from Boston to CT this weekend and I had to soft reset the Treo twice because it was taking forever (>20 minutes) with a spinning clock (looking for a route) before I reset it. It was able to find the route a lot more quickly 30 minutes into the trip because I was out of the Boston area and on the highway (which I knew to take but not thanks to Mapopolis). I may have been able to help Mapopolis along a bit by carefully designing a special directory of maps for that trip. However, I don't think this is a practical solution. For example, in my case, I had to leave for this trip with short notice and had no time to sit and build a directory with the bare minimum set of maps for the trip.
    This may be the case, I'm not really sure. I have the Palm Beach County map in use and it is about 4k in size. Going from Palm Beach to Miami requires 3 county maps that total about 14.2k in size and I have not had a problem generating a route, timewise.

I will say that I did put all my maps for this trip in a directory on my sd card called /Maps/Home and then entered all the maps I needed into that directory. I then set this to the default directory and it usually had the route up and running in less than 30 seconds. Most of the maps were Major Roads maps and that may have been why things worked so quickly for me. I'm not sure.

A quick question I have is, Do you have your /Maps directory in the root directory of your card? I tried it another way moving /Maps into /Programs/MSMount and had a devil of a time getting the route to generate.

Hope this helps ... Tom

19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    I am using the 2.05 beta, and seem to have issues with incoming phone calls. When I am in Mapopolis and a call comes in, I get the incoming call screen. When I hit answer, the Treo answers the phone, but stays in Mapopolis and doesn't switch to the phone app so I can't put the call on speaker or hang up when done. I don't have a GPS mouse yet, so maybe the behavior I am seeing has something to do with that.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
    I used the same version and did have the gps running. Earlier I tried to do this and use the speakerphone and it just did not work very well, especially if I had voice prompts on.

I just found it easier to use the earbud/headset and use the button on the earbud/headset to answer and hangup. Anyway, after a minute or so on the phone, the phone app does disappear and Mapopolis is again displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Never even thought of this -- it's a great idea.

This may be the case, I'm not really sure. I have the Palm Beach County map in use and it is about 4k in size. Going from Palm Beach to Miami requires 3 county maps that total about 14.2k in size and I have not had a problem generating a route, timewise.

I will say that I did put all my maps for this trip in a directory on my sd card called /Maps/Home and then entered all the maps I needed into that directory. I then set this to the default directory and it usually had the route up and running in less than 30 seconds. Most of the maps were Major Roads maps and that may have been why things worked so quickly for me. I'm not sure.

A quick question I have is, Do you have your /Maps directory in the root directory of your card? I tried it another way moving /Maps into /Programs/MSMount and had a devil of a time getting the route to generate.

Hope this helps ... Tom
    Wow!! Maybe I shoudl consider moving! The Boston metro area falls in at least 4 counties and they range in size between 2MB down to 750K The major roads in MA alone is about 200K.

Yes, I have a /Maps directrory (from root) and I have a directory hierarchy under that for New England, with 3 state subdirectories and a specific one for Boston. So when I'm routing within the immediate Boston area i set my directory to /Maps/NE/MA/Boston, which only contains ~3MB of maps and that works reasonably well. For my weekend trip I had to set the search directory to /Maps/NE because it was a cross-state trip.