Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    tjd414, where in west palm are you? I am moving to Wellington in a week. Moving from NYC
    Through some trial and error (mostly error) you need to make a Maps directory on your SD card before running Mapopolis. If you don't, it will try to search the card and load whatever it finds which results in the dreaded stack overflow.

MAPS doesn't work either, it needs to be exactly Maps. From there you can set up directories inside of it however you want.
    Pete
  3.    #83  
    Guess what ... Wellington, dude. Last 3 of the zip is 414 ... I'm away for the next week, but will have me trusty ol' treo with me.

Email or pm me and let me know where you'll be and I can give you all the lowdown on our lil' village.

Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by steveme
    I got my bundle for 189.00 from gps. It came with mapopolis and haicom 204s. Works good. All maps included. 1 year subscription to the maps, but you can d/l them for life.
    Sorry to repost this but it seemed to get overlooked.

What does it mean that you get a 1 year subscription? What is it a subscription to? I mean, I don't understand how it's a 1 year sub yet you can download for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Sorry to repost this but it seemed to get overlooked.

What does it mean that you get a 1 year subscription? What is it a subscription to? I mean, I don't understand how it's a 1 year sub yet you can download for life.
    The subscription provides access to their maps, which they update periodically...twice a year, I believe. Sure, you can leech all the maps from day 1, but nonetheless, after the subscription runs out, you gotta shell out another $100
    What is a Map Pack?

A Map Pack is an agreement between Mapopolis and a customer that entitles the customer to download an unlimited number of maps in one map library for a period of one year from the date of purcharse.

A map library consists of all the maps generated from one release of data.

Upgrades to new data releases are not included in a Map Pack, but are available at additional cost. When applicable, links to upgrade to a newer map version appear on the account page when the user logs in and selects Past Purchases. The price listed for the upgrade includes a renewal discount if one already has an active Map Pack, except that this upgrade offer does not appear in the final three months of an account.

Accounts are restarted with a full year to download maps when the user purchases an upgrade.

Immediately after completing the purchase, maps may be downloaded for free. Basic and Enhanced libraries cover the whole United States. Platinum libraries cover the continental United States, Hawaii (not in OS 3/4 version), Puerto Rico (not in OS 3/4 version), most of Canada (limited in OS 3/4 version), and the countries of Western Europe. The maps work indefinitely once downloaded to the PDA and never expire. Maps may be repeatedly downloaded unlimited times during your one-year period.

Please note that although Map Pack upgrades are not automatic, the Mapopolis viewer applications for the map viewer line that works with the purchased maps/Map Pack have traditionally been free. Mapopolis plans to continue this as part of our business model, and customers who purchase Platinum or higher maps/Map Packs for use on devices with the latest handheld operating systems may anticipate several free upgrades to the viewer application during the time their account is active.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Through some trial and error (mostly error) you need to make a Maps directory on your SD card before running Mapopolis. If you don't, it will try to search the card and load whatever it finds which results in the dreaded stack overflow.

MAPS doesn't work either, it needs to be exactly Maps. From there you can set up directories inside of it however you want.
    You can also use any directory you want and specify its name in Mapopolis. You might have to suffer through many error messages before you are able to specify the directory.
    I've just loaded the beta version -- lots of nice features, like bigger "buttons" for zooming, etc. I've noticed, however, that it takes considerably longer for it to compute a route. I even moved the necessary files to RAM, removed the SD card and it returns to the normal, quick route routing. When I put the card back in, I get the "clock" in the upper right hand corner and it just spins, and spins, etc. I had a lot of maps in the "Maps" folder on the SD card, then moved them all out to new folders to try to speed it up. Any ideas, anyone? I'm heading on a 400 mile trip tomorrow, so I'll just pull the card out for now.
    I purchased the i-Trek package based partly on this thread. It's an awesome combo for a great price! Mapopolis' direct (beta) support of SD cards made the deal irresistible.

Thanks tjd414 and all.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/13/2004 at 09:59 AM.
  10.    #90  
    Your welcome silverado.

I drove from West Palm Beach, FL to Pittsburgh, PA.

I loaded ZERO maps into RAM and only viewed the county map for my destination.

I set my start point as my current gps when fixed. Mapopolis then pulled up all the maps in order and plotted my course.

The eta and mileage were so close it was scary. Whenever I stopped for gas, overnight or for a break all I did was call up the destination from the drop down box and selected current gps when fixed. It plotted the route very quickly. I only ran maps off the card and the performance was extremely impressive.

I will admit I had to turn off the nav pane and the Simone voice as it gets a little old real quick.

All in all I give it a thumbs up More updates as I go.

Ok, I'm going to make the plunge and get myself one.
    Thanks for all the info and reporting your experiences.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a GPS receiver and vendor to get it from?
    I'm going to need a mouse GPS receiver that can be hooked up to a laptop and work with Microsoft Streets and Trips in addition to working with Mapopolis on the Treo 600.
  12.    #92  
    I bought mine from semsons.com and it arrived in 2 days ... without any extra shipping charges.

I chose iTrek, but they have several different manufacturers from which to choose. Go with what you feel most comfortable owning.

Good luck and enjoy.

Interesting. How did you get semsons to not charge you for shipping?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I don't think he means 'no shipping' I think he means 'standard' shipping. I just got mine from them too. Arrived in 1 day with standard shipping & a free akron vent mount. Very solid GPS mouse, quick & accurate.

tjd, how long does it take yours to plot a 60+ mile trip? Mine seems to take FOREVER. Over 5 min easily. Granted, I live in LA, so there are a lot of freeway options, but geeze....

<whisper> It's $50 cheaper than TC.com too...</whisper>
  15.    #95  
    You are right ... just standard shipping. I was pleasantly suprised when it arrived early ... I guess they underpromise and over deliver.

As far as my route generqtion goes ... well for my 1200 mile trip using about 16m of maps took less than one minute to generate the route. My 10m maps for a cross state trip took about 15 seconds to generate the route.

16.    #96  
    Why does t|c always seem to cut my posts???

Anyway I do not load maps contiguously. It seems to take forever to generate the route. I have found that since Mapopolis loads from my sd card, this does not seem to be a problem. The program just seemlessly picks the next map automatically.

Hope this helps ... Tom

Hello everyone. I'm new here I just bought a Treo 600 for Tmobile, I was a "Sidekicker" but made the right choice by turning on The hiptop Sidekick! I'm definitely going to ask a lot of questions about my new device and this place seems like the best so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Why does t|c always seem to cut my posts???

Anyway I do not load maps contiguously. It seems to take forever to generate the route. I have found that since Mapopolis loads from my sd card, this does not seem to be a problem. The program just seemlessly picks the next map automatically.

Hope this helps ... Tom
    I'm using version 2.02 of Mapopolis and the option for loading contiguous maps seems to have been eliminated, which leads me to assume that it's always loading contiguous maps if they indeed are. What version of Mapopolis are you using?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    tjd - I wonder if my long route generation times are simply a result of the area I live in. Los Angeles alone is 15mb, even though I'm using the one split to 4 quadrants, once I put any maps of the surrounding area, my 'active' directory quickly jumps to over 30mb. This is necessary as the LA map, while large, is only about a 15 mile radius of downtown. I have the major road map of California in RAM (1mb), everything else, (Orange County, LA, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura) is in an active directory on the SD card. Other detail maps of California are in a separate directory for emergencies.

When staying within the Los Angeles area (10-30 mile trips) generation is very fast, less than 20 sec. But once I try to go from Burbank to Newport Beach (about 60 miles) it chokes, and seems to take forever.

SafeHarbor, is this a result of too many road options? There is probably about 30 combinations of freeways between Burbank and Newport, and even more road combinations, is the route generation time a result of this, or am I doing something wrong? (PS are you lamar, from gpspassion.com?)

Finally, to TheBigBadWolf, welcome to the light. You'll love the Treo. Enjoy and fire away!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Oh, new question:

When I'm following a route, and I get a call, it pops up, and I can answer just like you'd expect. But for some reason, I can't place a call, then go into mapopolis. It will run the program, but it says that it can't start the GPS. Once the call is ended, it can start the GPS program without issue.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I have an i.Trek mouse. Thanks.
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast