Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    No it is not...but I just purchased a package. Its below. From my research this is the best price for the package for what you get. The Mouse is a hiacom HI-204S receiver. The Best out there in regards to mice. And you get the free Akron vent mount as well. 185.00 plus shipping.

The HI-204S is supposed to be one of the most quickest time to read from the satelite. Most sensitive.

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow when I try it out. But the mapopolis software is pretty nice. I used it just to chart a path today without GPS and it worked VERY well. Better then expected.

BUT

It does take up just about all your memory. I loaded 3 maps and it used 15% of my memory. So there is no way to load cross country in there. There definitely has to be a patch in the works for this one.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=217
    Does anyone know if it's possible, and if someone offers a GPS unit that will work with both the Treo and a laptop.
    I don't mean both at the same time, but that you have the option to use one or the other with the same device.
    For example, if my dad takes a trip, he doesn't have a treo, but has a laptop with Streets and Trips loaded on it that can work with a GPS.
    Then if I take a trip, I can just use an adapter or something and use the GPS with Mapopolis and my Treo.
    Reading a little more closely, something I should have done before posting I noticed the specs for the HAiCOM state that is has a mini-DIN PS/II to PDA plug.
    That implies that it may be connectable to a laptop keyboard/mouse port with I guess an adapter that can connect to the Treo.
    steveme can you let me know what you can on this? I've been looking for a GPS device somewhat passively for some time now and this sounds like it might be what I'm looking for.
    Anyone else with any advice or comments is welcome to chime in as well.
    I would also like to be able to use the GPS unit with my laptop or my Treo depending on the trip I am taking.
  5. PAC
    I have an eTrex Legend that I am trying to use with my Treo (and Mapopolis). I need to get the right cable, but i'm confident that once I do it will work just fine with my Treo. This cable http://www.semsons.com/itgaretpdali.html, if you must know...

The eTrex will work with any laptop or PC, and of course on its own as a waterproof, rugged, mapping GPS unit.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Does anyone know if it's possible, and if someone offers a GPS unit that will work with both the Treo and a laptop.
    I don't mean both at the same time, but that you have the option to use one or the other with the same device.
    For example, if my dad takes a trip, he doesn't have a treo, but has a laptop with Streets and Trips loaded on it that can work with a GPS.
    Then if I take a trip, I can just use an adapter or something and use the GPS with Mapopolis and my Treo.
    When you get your package from semsons (and the others as well, I would think) a small cd came with the software so you could load it onto a laptop and connect the gps receiver (mouse) to your laptop.

If you are just going to use your treo, then the software is not needed. It uses a regular PS2 connector.

Hope this helps ... Tom
    Last edited by tjd414; 06/30/2004 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Typos ... sheesh, my brain is fried!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I've had Pocket Co-Pilot for Pocket PC that I've used on my Caseopia E-125 and liked it pretty well. Except for when it was trying to lead me the wrong way on the one-way streets in Erie, PA. Anyone familiar with this product and how Mapopolis compares? Now that I've joined the Treo owners of the world, I've wondered how the two compare. Two bad there's not an upgrade path, purchasing again for another OS always grips my gord somewhat.
    Enjoy what you do, or do something else!
    Has anyone tried running Pocket Tunes with the GPS software? If so, was the performance at all acceptable?

Thanks, Brian
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I also have the iTrek and Mapopolis. I really like it and it works great. My wish list is that it would work a little more like the iQue (in terms of the software interface, which is very slick and can provide tons more information than mapopolis does) and when I tried MSMount to use the maps stored on the card, Mapopolis wouldn't even start. I realize that's not the fault or doing of Mapopolis, but it would have been awesome if it had worked....

Yes you can use PTunes w/ Mapopolis. It's not great, but it does work.
    I travel weekly for my job (field service). I really needed GPS a few weeks ago while driving over the Appalachains. I bought the Delorme Earthmate system this week in Odessa ,TX and it has worked very well on my laptop for $120.
    I also have a T600 and am very interested in a GPS solution for that. As I travel to different states, how big would a map be for 1 state (with city streets)?
    Has the MSMount option been checked yet? How many states would fit (I have about 21Mb free on the RAM)
    Quote Originally Posted by telcobilly
    Has the MSMount option been checked yet? How many states would fit (I have about 21Mb free on the RAM)
    Yes MSMount works perfectly, but the problem lies in the mapopolis software. I tried to load a whole state (22MB) and mapopolis crashes (unfortunatly i don't have 22MB free on my treo to try loading all those to RAM), so you still have to swap maps in and out, but at least you can do it on a folder on your SD card rather than precious RAM.

digidep
    I just got mine today. So far so good. The documentations says it supports Maps on Memory Card. But your correct in that it doesn't appear in the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by digidep
    Yes MSMount works perfectly, but the problem lies in the mapopolis software. I tried to load a whole state (22MB) and mapopolis crashes (unfortunatly i don't have 22MB free on my treo to try loading all those to RAM), so you still have to swap maps in and out, but at least you can do it on a folder on your SD card rather than precious RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakersteve
    I just got mine today. So far so good. The documentations says it supports Maps on Memory Card. But your correct in that it doesn't appear in the app.
    Guys, if you wouldn't mind, could you clarify this a little bit?

1) I'd like to understand better what, if anything, you can do with maps on the card, and what you can't. Could you describe what Mapopolis means when it says it supports the cards?

2) Are you saying you can load all your maps onto the card and then use only Mapopolis to move portions of those into RAM when you need them?,

3) If so, how much of this process is automated? Can Mapopolis figure out whats needed and get it?

4) Does MSMount improve the Mapopolis situation in any way?

Thanks
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P
    Guys, if you wouldn't mind, could you clarify this a little bit?

1) I'd like to understand better what, if anything, you can do with maps on the card, and what you can't. Could you describe what Mapopolis means when it says it supports the cards?
    It can load maps directly from a SD/MMC card. They need to be placed in a special directory on the card.

2) Are you saying you can load all your maps onto the card and then use only Mapopolis to move portions of those into RAM when you need them?,
    3) If so, how much of this process is automated? Can Mapopolis figure out whats needed and get it?
    With mapopolis you can choose to load maps either from memory or from card with a 'goto card' option. When you load a map from the card, it will also copy into the Treo's memory as many connected maps as much memory you have free. All these maps will then appear into the list of maps in memory. In Mapopolis they will all appear nicely connected to the level where you will not be able to say which road belongs to which map.

If you exit the current covered area, you will need to free memory to delete some of the loaded maps and then load the new one from the card. You can do this within Mapopolis in the map list screen, but if you have a lot of maps there is no immediate way to know which ones to delete and also which ones to load. All you have is a region name in the filename of the map, which does not show fully sometimes. If you don't know well the region names it can be quite cumbersome. I think they are working on this though.

Best thing for you to do is to download the app for free and some of the demo maps and try it out.

Cheers.
  15. PAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P

4) Does MSMount improve the Mapopolis situation in any way?

Thanks
    Pete
    I'll add my $.02 to what's been said...

1. Mapopolis, like many Palm apps, can't directly access the maps on an SD card like a PPC can. They *must* be in RAM first, either copied directly to ram (hotsync them to RAM, or click the COPY button in Mapopolis), or loaded temporarily to RAM when you click VIEW from the SD Screen. Mapopolis will prompt to unload them from memory when you exit. Mapopolis will not prompt you to unload maps that you placed into RAM manually, which greatly speeds up load times.

2.That is exactly what you must do.

3. Zero. This is, in my and many other's on GPSPassion.com's Mapopolis forums opinion, the single biggest drawback to Mapopolis. Both Palm and PPC versions (I've used both) work the same way. Maps are either a low-detail statewide major highway map, or a highly detailed county map. That's it. Mapopolis is great when you have *some* idea of where you're going, when you know which county(ies) you will be in, but it has no automatic way to load new county maps as you travel, which is a shortcomming. Mapopolis really does respond pretty well to user feedback, and it was recently posted by one of their own tech support some screen shots for a way to pick out maps graphically on your PC, then copy those to your PDA. Unfortunately the discussion centered around the PocketPC version, but I know for a fact that the Treo 600 is a must-support PDA for Mapopolis, as their CEO's wife uses one . This wouldn't be automatic, but it would be a huge improvement over the "gotta remember/write down the county names I'll need". Still, I am a programmer (not a PalmOS one though) and it seems odd that Mapopolis can't implement a routine to automatically pulls the next county into RAM when you are moving towards the border and <X miles away. It could then easily drop the previous county from RAM as well, so there would always be the current and next county loaded, and the county you were in before the current one removed from RAM. Of course there would need to be options for miles away, speed thresholds, county radius to load, etc...

4. I tried it with about 100MB worth of maps loaded on a 128MB card. Mapopolis (1.39) recognized that the maps where there as if in RAM, so they all appeared. When I tried to load them, it processed for about 90 seconds then crashed with an "Out of Stack space" error. As I'm typing this I just realized that I had the "Load contigous maps" option checked, so this was trying to load all of those maps, which is way too many than I really need. If I get a chance I'll try it again with only a few maps selected and see what happens.

Mapopolis offers great advice on how to manage maps in the manual. Basically, you're going to have all of the maps you need on your SD card, perhaps hundreds of mb worth. Place all the major road maps in their own directory, and copy those to RAM. Then pick out the counties you need and copy them to RAM as well. County sizes can vary a lot, with large cities pushing 8mb each, but most counties are in the 200k-800k size. So you can't load a whole cross-country trip's *detailed* maps into memory at once, but you certainly can load several major road state maps in at once, with starting and ending counties for navigation. The only scenario that this won't work, and Mapopolis fails as a navigation aid completely, is if you want to take a long distance trip on small roads, roads that aren't on the major roads map. And the major road maps are good for traveling - they have all the interstates, and most of the significant two-lane roads that you would use to travel. But if you're taking that trip that follows the really thin lines, then you pretty much will need to break out the paper maps.

The best example I can give of the detail is to pick up a 50-state Atlas. You know, the ones with each state on a two-page layout. If we're talking Rand McNally, exclude the grey roads, stick with interstates, red and black divided & two lane roads that's about the detail that you get in the major road maps.

As other's have suggested, download the software and try some maps. That's about the only way you'll know it will work for you.
    Last edited by PAC; 07/02/2004 at 07:55 AM.
    Minute and PAC

Thanks for the very clear and illuminating responses.

Sounds workable for me, but PAC, as a programmer myself, I completely agree that what you describe would be vastly better and totally doable.

I suspect the garmen iQue completely handles this. I might consider getting the iQue in addition to my treo for this purpose. The interesting thing is that I suspect that Garmins built in GPS receiver may not be as sensitive or as fast as the I.Trek mouse receiver for the treo. (Especially considering the freedom one has in placement of the mouse receiver, and also considering the option of buying a new mouse as better units come along.)

Do you guys know how the garmin iQue compares on these issues:
    1- Automated map loading from the card, and
    2- GPS receiver: sensitivity, acuracy and speed?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 07/03/2004 at 12:53 PM.
    I recently purchased the I trek, Mapopolis combo.

1. I am also frustrated with the map loading limitations. They were very well explained in the previous posts. One redeeming factor is that the Mapopolis web sight has a pretty good search funtion to see what county a partucular city is in. But what if is on the edge of the county? I would like a function that loads all adjoining counties.

2. There are two other problems I am having.
    A. I live in Michigan. When Mapopolis directs me to enter a highway it sometimes calls the exit "To Detroit", but doesn't actually name the freeway you are entering on.

B. When it generates a route, and I want to review it by pressing the down navigation key, there are sometimes ten or so steps just for continuing on the same street.

I am very happy with the speed and accuracy of the I trek. I am also very impressed with the speed with which it regenerates routes when missing turns. I also however, would like to generate my own route, that Mapopolis would then track with GPS.

I will be contacting customer support about getting them to automatically ask for, and load maps from the SD card. If your driving across the state, and it would automatically load the next county I would be very happy. Maybe if enough users do that, they will make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by record1
    [when looking at route lists]there are sometimes ten or so steps just for continuing on the same street.
    record1

It may be worse with Mapopolis, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like a flaw. All of the systems I have used do this, including the excellent Nav in my Q45.

My sense of it is the following: Every intersection that can be perceived as a fork is treated as a point of guidance. This is the safest approach and one that always lets you know where you need to be careful, to avoid ending up in the wrong lane.

However, just like you, I would love to have the option of looking at the route list and turning off all entries which continue on the same road. The ability to turn this on and off (in the route list only), would be a great feature that I'd love, but one that I've never seen.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 07/03/2004 at 01:11 PM.
    Pete,
    Good to know. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Just a quick question - can anyone post a picture of their treo and gps, either in their car dash or on a table? i have been interested in this for a while - i'm not quite sure how well it would work on a bike, but i would like to see how much space is needed for the receiver, etc.
    thanks!

ps if anyone does ride a bike and has this, how well does it work?
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast