Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Use version 2.02 which can be downloaded from the Mapopolis site. It permits you to specify the directory that the map is in. Mapopolis will look in the specified directory and all sub directories. I organize mine as, for example, maps/california/northern california/monterey. The closer one gets to the root, the more maps Mapopolis will include and the slower it will perform. I have about four maps in maps/California/Northern California and it works fairly well. However, maps/California, let alone maps/, is useless.
    Or just get TomTom and never worry about map speed or map directories again.
    Or get Mapopolis's US Navcard and never worry about not having the maps with you or driving off your map plat because you don't have your laptop or PC with you. NavCard is a one gigabyte, high-speed SD card with all of continental US maps preloaded. There's a review of it, including using it with a Treo 650 and a Tapwave Zodiac, appearing on gpspassion.com. (Look in "Top Ten Articles" on the right-hand side of the site's home page.)
    If I buy the Navcard, can I update the card (by using an SD card reader) as updates for maps become available in the future?
    Hi, Kevin0306,

Nope. The card does not contain individual maps like the Navigator product. Instead, it has regional maps that are designed to mesh together seamlessly. Mapopolis says they don't plan more than yearly updates for the cards, but viewer updates will be available as and when they are done. Right now, the maps on NavCard and the maps on the website are the same - both are based on NAVTEQ 2005 digital data.
    I bought Mapopolis for my Treo 600 last year and have been using it with the iTrek mouse gps. It's slow but no problems using it.

My wife and I bought Treo 650s recently. The Mapopolis software runs fine and much faster on my T650. On her T650, it works for a while after installing. But then it start resetting her phone every time she tries to start the Mapopolis app. Has anybody encountered this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by jb40967
    I bought Mapopolis for my Treo 600 last year and have been using it with the iTrek mouse gps. It's slow but no problems using it.

My wife and I bought Treo 650s recently. The Mapopolis software runs fine and much faster on my T650. On her T650, it works for a while after installing. But then it start resetting her phone every time she tries to start the Mapopolis app. Has anybody encountered this problem?
    I have 2 guesses:

1. She has less room left on her unit. Mapopolis doesn't work well at all unless there is lots of room in memory.

2. There is a "hack" loaded on her phone... hacks are kryptonite for Mapopolis.

And I have a question for you: Have you tried to use the 3-D view? I understand it's much better on the 650 b/c of the high resolution screen.

Thanks!
    Need gift ideas?

Check out www.mynextclick.com

StarTac -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by jb40967

Be sure she is using ver 2.2 available from the Mapopolis web site (down at the bottom of the page).
    I have just been through this with Lamar of Mapaoplis on my Treo 650. The only way I can get to work and not do a soft reset is to put all of the maps on a card in folders that are no bigger than say 16 mb. Open the maps on the card in the folders. make sure that you have a lot of RAM. The peoople at Mapoplis have been great to work with, but you and I need to realize that there are limitations. The NAV card sounds good and I may go that direrction.

Craig
    Treo 600 user, Lost in space
    Nav Card sounds good and is a good value. Anyone using it successfully on a 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by pkaine
    I have 2 guesses:

1. She has less room left on her unit. Mapopolis doesn't work well at all unless there is lots of room in memory.

2. There is a "hack" loaded on her phone... hacks are kryptonite for Mapopolis.

And I have a question for you: Have you tried to use the 3-D view? I understand it's much better on the 650 b/c of the high resolution screen.

Thanks!
    I just did the firmware upgrade. I can testify that, while mapopolis is very robust, it is highly sensitive to the amount of memory available.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarbrey
    I have just been through this with Lamar of Mapaoplis on my Treo 650. The only way I can get to work and not do a soft reset is to put all of the maps on a card in folders that are no bigger than say 16 mb. Open the maps on the card in the folders. make sure that you have a lot of RAM. The peoople at Mapoplis have been great to work with, but you and I need to realize that there are limitations. The NAV card sounds good and I may go that direrction.

Craig
    Cheryl and Lamar,

The reason that I was interested in the Nav card was that I had read that routing was faster. Since some routes involving multiple maps were taking tens of minutes, that made it attractive to me. Of course, to run the Nav card on my Treo 650, according to your instructions, I was going to have to do the 650 firmware upgrade. After running the upgrade, and without Nav card, I found that routing was very snappy.

I was one of those most hurt by the Treo 650 NVFS problems. I was always throwing and trimming to maintain <2M free. After the upgrade I suddenly had 7-8M free. Apparently my routing problem was that I had insufficient memory. It is a tribute to the design of Mapopolis that it merely ran slowly rather than failing altogether.

I may order the Nav card in any case because it simplifies map management.

Again, thanks for your support.

Bill
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122