Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG
    OK I do love this thing, but working on a few items.

3. I have read about the different Mapopolist and time required to find routes. In my short experince I think I like loading the county map of where I am going and state maps for all states between Florida (where I live) and where I am going (normally in FL, GA or SC). Here is my problem. I do not always know of the county I am going to. I know the city and street, but not the county. On the Mapoplist sight you can see maps of the different states with the countys identified, but that is not helpful when I am on the road. Does anyone know of something like those maps that I can view on my Treo, or a program like Directory Assistant that can pull down the information or state databases with all the citys and geographical areas in each county of each state?

Thanks

SPG
    Hmmm... good question. I was able to navigate to this address on my Treo 600: http://mapopolis.com/home.jsp?v=5&pg...2359396&p=&q=2

I could then search in the state for a specific place.

Give it a shot...
    Need gift ideas?

Check out www.mynextclick.com

StarTac -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by pkaine
    Sure you can set a different profile and set that one when you need to. For example, I have a "Night GPS" setting where I have the contrast and the brightness turned all the way down.
    Is this set with a time trigger, or do you just manually set it?

For your question, you can set a profile called Home where you un-check the StayOnInCradle option... this should work well.
    But how do you distinguish from in the cradle at home, at work, or attached to the car charger? Can you just set a trigger for this, or do you have to manually change it to one that you'd like (where the screen stays on)?

Thanks.
    Hi, guys,

Your state major road maps contain the complete index of every city, town, and named place on the detail maps. To find out what city goes with what detail map, search the major road map for the city. Then zoom out and tap around on the icons. Some of them contain county names, and that will tell you what map to load to get local detail.

By the way, preview demo maps from the upcoming "NE" release are now available. One caveat is that if you install a demo map and previously had a demo map of the exact same name on your phone, the program will remember it and tell you that the map has expired.

You can find more information about the preview demo maps here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=18819
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
    Hi, guys,

Your state major road maps contain the complete index of every city, town, and named place on the detail maps. To find out what city goes with what detail map, search the major road map for the city. Then zoom out and tap around on the icons. Some of them contain county names, and that will tell you what map to load to get local detail.

By the way, preview demo maps from the upcoming "NE" release are now available. One caveat is that if you install a demo map and previously had a demo map of the exact same name on your phone, the program will remember it and tell you that the map has expired.

You can find more information about the preview demo maps here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=18819
    Big help! Thanks.

Have had real memory management problems over the last few days because the airport was on one 4meg county map but everyplace else I wanted to go was on another. I probably could have gotten by with major roads for the airport and one county for everything else.

Had a similar problem on a recent trip to Denver where the airport is in a noncontiguous part of the county. Could not locate the map for either part of it.
    Last edited by whmurray; 12/11/2004 at 03:31 PM.
    Also, what's the procedure for getting Mapopolis to recognize your purchase from other sources (Semsons)? How long does it take after purchase/registration to have the account active and be able to download maps?

I didn't see anything in their FAQ regarding this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Also, what's the procedure for getting Mapopolis to recognize your purchase from other sources (Semsons)? How long does it take after purchase/registration to have the account active and be able to download maps?

I didn't see anything in their FAQ regarding this.
    I purchased from Semsons, so I can help you on that one. In the box with the GPS is a paper with a copy of the Mapopolis website on it. It has a piece of paper with your registration code attached to it via some tape.

Just follow the instructions on the paper and you are downloading maps in seconds!
    Need gift ideas?

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pkaine
    I purchased from Semsons, so I can help you on that one. In the box with the GPS is a paper with a copy of the Mapopolis website on it. It has a piece of paper with your registration code attached to it via some tape.

Just follow the instructions on the paper and you are downloading maps in seconds!
    I purchased from buygpsnow.com. If I remember correctly, instead of having a piece of paper in the box, they sent me an e-mail with the registration number and all the instructions in it.
    Jeff
    Thanks for the clarification. Automated works best for me as it is a Christmas present and a lot of people will be shut down around that time.

I've got a trip on New Year's Eve and I'd like to hit the ground running.
    Is this set with a time trigger, or do you just manually set it?.
    I just manually set it. It would be pretty cool to have it set at a certain time to go to "meeting" or whatever.

But how do you distinguish from in the cradle at home, at work, or attached to the car charger? Can you just set a trigger for this, or do you have to manually change it to one that you'd like (where the screen stays on)?

Thanks.
    You would have to set it up manually. You don't want it on at work or at home? Not sure why, but you would do it manually.

It only takes about 1.5 seconds to switch to another profile - but I know we want our gadgets to do everything for us, right?!

-Patrick
    Need gift ideas?

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been playing around with it, and manual changes are pretty easy. I was just thinking there may be a way to trigger it to only come on in the car.

I really don't need it on at home or at the office, so I don't have a setting for "In Cradle" but have set a couple up for the GPS (day and night).

Thanks again for the information.
    Hi Guys,

I've been evaluating Mapopolis, with a lot of assistance from LAMAR at Mapopolis - big thanks to him for all his help!

Ok, I now have Mapopolis working, but it still seems a bit sluggish...

I've put maps in the relevant folders on the 128Mb sd card (got a 1GB on order), uninstalled everything not associated wit Mapopolis, and now have about 16mb free RAM on the Treo.

First question:
    What's the OPTIMUM amount of memory Mapopolis can use on the RAM. or is it a case of "the more the merrier"?

Moving on from this, i have an idea to do a clean install of mapopolis, as follows:

1. Hard reset (format) Treo 600
    2. Install mapopolis
    3. Install maps to SD card
    4. Sync Palm conduits (address book / calendar etc)

Using the Sync users option on Palm Desktop, I'd like to "save" this as one user, then format again, do an install of mapopolis plus the most used / local map, then put all my other stuff on top of that.

Basically, the idea here is to sync to, say, user "Mapopolis" to get a purely Mapopolis optimised system - which I could then use on long journeys, or when I dont really need all my other apps and stuff.

In general use, i.e not setting off on a trip, I'd like to be able to sync to, say, user "everything", and get all my apps, plus a local version of mapopolis.

The idea being to have a "custom setup", just be choosing the user to sync to.

So....

1. Would this work / be of benefit / speed up Mapopolis?
    2. Can somone confirm exactly how I'd do it?

Seems a very good idea to my way of thinking - if anyone has any comments etc on this, I'd be interested to hear them!
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    BTW, Im off on sojourne from tommorro (Friday 17th Dec) till next Tuesday, don't be offended if I dont reply till then!

I will of course be using Mapopolis, only reverting to a printed road map in an emergency - ooooh! The shame!

Will report back on my return...
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    has anybody gotton mapopolis to dispalay properly on the treo 650. I am having problems with the next on the maps being outside the pop up box.
    Anyone know how to get mapopolis to work off the sd card? I have a 1 gig sd card, but it says it has to be in ram. What good does it do to have a 1 gig card and not be to use the space for more maps without having to move it to ram. These maps fill up the ram real quick. I heard there may be software to alow you to access the sd card.
    WIth Mapopolis 2.2 you can keep all the maps on the SD card
    How do you make a phone call when using iTrek to get you some where?

SPG
    HI GUYS, i really envy you. I hav ebeen waiting for the Treo 650 to be on the market in Aussie land, alas not until early 2005. I have been reading most of the threads in Treo Central and have gained alot of info. I can't wait until I can grab one next year, then I can throw away my Tungsten W and Miao GPS. I have been looking for a one device to do two jobs. Looks like this is going to happen. Anyone knows how does the iTrek compares with the Tom Tom? I read from another threads, that the Tom Tom is quite fast and cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG
    How do you make a phone call when using iTrek to get you some where?

SPG
    You have to exit the app to make a phone call, just hit the home icon and start to make the call like normal.

If you receive a call, you can answer it and the program continues to work like normal.
    Need gift ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tcmg1666
    HI GUYS, i really envy you. I hav ebeen waiting for the Treo 650 to be on the market in Aussie land, alas not until early 2005. I have been reading most of the threads in Treo Central and have gained alot of info. I can't wait until I can grab one next year, then I can throw away my Tungsten W and Miao GPS. I have been looking for a one device to do two jobs. Looks like this is going to happen. Anyone knows how does the iTrek compares with the Tom Tom? I read from another threads, that the Tom Tom is quite fast and cheap.
    Hey tcmg1666 - no need to wait for the 650 for this - I'm using it on my GSM 600 and love it. Very usable on the 600, it just needs a largish SD card for the maps (like the 650). I guess the 650 would add high-res and Bluetooth headset/GPS mouse capability, but for me that's not worth the price difference (and besides the GSM 650 is nowhere in sight yet).
    Well, I've been spending a good amount of time over the past couple of days familiarizing myself with the bundle and it's quirks. So far pretty good, though.

Has anyone been able to get the "Enable 3D Navigation View" working? Nothing happens when I check the box. Is this a limitation of the Treo's (relatively) low resolution screen?