Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    If the "Ace" rumors are correct, it would use the same connector as the current Treo which means we can continue to use the iTrek.

I think that the company that supplies the Navigator maps for Mapopolis is the same ones that provide the Mapquest maps.
  2.    #22  
    Both companies use Nav Tech. This company is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, in the industry. They also make the map dvd's for most in-car nav systems. That being said, though, each manufacturer determines the content of what is on the disc. Some probably include more content than others ... so, buyer beware.

YMMV ... Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I have the I.trek bundle as well. I like it with the exception of the few bugs that people mentioned above.

One little wishlist would be intergration with something like Vindago. Although the Vindago interface is very retro-Palm looking, it's a nice little app for frequent travellers to new areas. Vindago and Mapopolis should work together to make one powerfull combo app.
    thanks tom...that answers my question perfectly!

cheers man
    Kris
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    what's the difference between the cirocomm and the i.trek?
    I'm no expert here and since the mapping program is the same (Mapopolis Navigator) my inclination is that the hardware is different. Probably along these lines:

The acquisition times for satellite signals seems to be about half the time with the iTrek -- what's a few seconds when you are just powering up the thing -- but it is a little faster to start up.

I think the protocols on the iTrek are newer which leads me to believe that it can acquire and reroute just a little quicker than the Cirocomm.

It looks like the power consumption on the iTrek is a little lower.

Sizewise the antenna with the iTrek is about the width of your treo screen and just a little longer that the height of the treo screen, so about 1 3/4" wide and 2 1/4" high and about 1/2" thick. It's got a magnet so you can stick it to the top of the car and my guess is that it'll stay on, it's a strong magnet. I just use the little clip they send and have it clipped to the base of my windshield where it meets the dash.

Again, not an expert, just taking a look at specs and making an educated guess for you. The iTrek costs $15 more, but I just felt a little more comfortable plunking down money on it versus the Cirocomm. Just my .02.

Hope this helps ... Tom

thanks, tom. so basically it's a brand decision. i wasn't sure it also involved essential features as well. appreciate your input. next paycheck!
    http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=271

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/compareomatic/index.php

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~robk/gpsrx/gpsrx01.htm

The top link is to one of the better units out there in regards to sensitivity. It offers SiRF XTrac which is the new technology.

The second is a link to the side by side specs of the units. Good for doing your own research.
  8.    #28  
    Good input! I do know the iTrek uses SiRF but I'm unsure about the Cirocomm.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    That little red arrow points north, not towards your destination. Doh! My bad.

Now to those incoming phone calls ... Believe it or not you WILL receive your incoming calls. I was trying a few things today and I received three calls while this program was running. To my amazement, the caller id popped up and stayed up during the call. I use an ear bud while driving so all I had to do was hit the button on the bud and talk. When the calls ended, I just hit the same button and the map, with my current location, came right back up.
    Have you ever tried to switch to Mapopolis while on the call and see if that works the way it works with other apps?
    Does Mapopolis sound out more then the left right turns? Such as street names, mileage, ect like some of the new nav software does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenzytom
    If the "Ace" rumors are correct, it would use the same connector as the current Treo which means we can continue to use the iTrek.
    Well, if the Treo Ace will have Bluetooth, you could just use a BT GPS like the Delorme Wirleless Earthmate and then, you wouldn't have to worry about the connector at all!

I personally think I'll wait for the Treo Ace so I can wait for one of these...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Definitely gfunk...if those blutooth rumors come true, bluetooth everything is the next route. I would without a second, cut those wires and bluetooth to my Mac, wireless headset and GPS in the car. Now if it comes out before Christmas...
    Quote Originally Posted by steveme
    Does Mapopolis sound out more then the left right turns? Such as street names, mileage, ect like some of the new nav software does.
    yes if you sync their pspeak agent that is in the zip rather than the words db.

digidep
    Awesome, I would buy this, except for one problem I have with Mapopolis...

I don't know if it's true with the other maps, but for Vancouver, it doesn't know the difference between major roads and minor roads. At times the route Mapopolis would give me is pretty okay, but at other times, it would just give me some of the wackiest routes ever seen. Not a huge problem to me because I generally know my way around most of Vancouver, Mapopolis would just be a secondary guide to me. I am worried that it would confuse the hell out of my girlfriend who hasn't been here long enough to get around comfortably. Any thoughts?
    Oh yes, it does recognize the freeways in Vancouver, but one wacky little quirk is that in a cloverleaf or half cloverleaf or kitty-corner cloverleaf type interchange, whatever, it doesn't direct me into the clovers (actually we call them donuts here) if I want to go left, but rather onto the right exit and turn left at the intersection. Also, it'll generally stick me on the main routes, but at times it'll make me zig zag through residential zones to get from one main route to the next in an attempt to give me the shortest route instead of the fastest. That's about it.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Have you ever tried to switch to Mapopolis while on the call and see if that works the way it works with other apps?
    It didn't work. I'm guessing that it is a multitasking issue ... my treo runs just one app at a time.

The reason, I think, is that all of the hard buttons are taken over by Mapopolis ... from left to right -- zoom out (phone) zoom in (calendar) more detail (messaging) and less detail (power).

BTW, make sure you exit Mapopolis before you try to disconnect the gps power cord or your treo will freeze up. Or, at the least, stop the gps from running. Learned the hard way.

Tom

17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by steveme
    It sounds sort of weird when you do this ... you get this digitized male voice that will pronounce the street names and all ... and it gets them right for the most part. Pretty cool, imo.

It will tell you to turn with about 1/2 mile to go, and then count down by 1/10 of a mile, and finally by feet (200 ft, 100 ft, 30 ft.).

When you tell the program to map your route it will tell you your approximate distance and drive time ... pretty accurate based on my calculations ... I drive a tad bit faster so I get there a little early, but pretty close to the time set out by Mapopolis.

You do have to use pspeak to do this (included with the download and must go in RAM) and it is a hefty file -- 2,808 kb with another 17 kb file. Mapopolis words is smaller -- 673 kb -- but won't give you the street names, just directional info.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    As for saving map on the memory card, I found followings from the guide I downloaded from Semsons. Can anyone confirm if it works?

Many users cannot synch the maps directly to the memory card. They need to follow this procedure: Synch map to RAM, copy map to memory card, delete version from RAM Now Mapopolis should be able to find the maps on the card.
    Sure, it can find it on the card, but it wants to copy it to RAM before using it and it offers to delete it from RAM when exiting. So it's only good if you have space to load the map(s) you want into memory when using them.
    Is this the same package as the one in the original post?

http://store.palmone.com/product/ind...entPage=search
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast