Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pkaine

Does anyone know what happens when you want to make a phone call or receive a phone call when using the GPS?
    Yes. The phone rings. You take your call. Then you return to the application. You will not miss any calls but you may miss a turn. Clear advantage for a Garmin.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Yes. The phone rings. You take your call. Then you return to the application. You will not miss any calls but you may miss a turn. Clear advantage for a Garmin.
    Great! What about making a call? I heard that this is either not possible or not very easy.

Just want to say that this forum rocks! I have been an avid reader at another place and I plan on making this my number one. Thanks again all.
    Great! What about making a call? I heard that this is either not possible or not very easy.

Just want to say that this forum rocks! I have been an avid reader at another place and I plan on making this my number one. Thanks again all.
    Since the phone button does not work from w/i Mapopolis, you must hit the home key, the phone key, and place your call. Then you can restart Maopolis. You can pick a time when the next turn is several miles down the road so that the two appls do not interfere with one another.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    could someone with the mapopolis that works with the 650 post the prc here. It is free, you have to buy the maps so it shouldnt be an issue.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Since the phone button does not work from w/i Mapopolis, you must hit the home key, the phone key, and place your call. Then you can restart Maopolis. You can pick a time when the next turn is several miles down the road so that the two appls do not interfere with one another.
    If the phone issue was easier, I would be one of these babys in a minute. I just can't imagine being in the middle of a clover leaf and getting a phone call. In downtown LA, my Magellan really works well for immediate lane and ramp switches especially one after another. Maybe somedaythe phone could operate in the background via bluetooth or something. I don't want to have to restart mapopolis.
    It's a concern of mine as well with the phone... but you can't have everything, right? I looked at the Magelins for a grand and the Iques for $500 plus... but I already have the Treo 600 and for under $200, I can be set up?

Sounds like a bargain to me.... I guess if you set it to copy all of the directions to the memo pad, you would have a way to use them there while on the phone.

We shall see. I just started in a new territory as a sales rep and will be on the road 7 hrs a day. Seems that this is going to be a huge help for the right price.
    Need gift ideas?

Check out www.mynextclick.com

StarTac -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600
    Well it looks like I'm jumping on board. My wife's getting me the iTrek/Mapopolis combo for Christmas. Guess that gives me plenty of time to play around with Mapopolis and get familiar with it, as well as continue to follow this thread.
    Well, still having reset problems. I deleted and reinstalled everything, deleted old maps and only used the one that comes with the program.

It all worked great for a day, then the resets started again. It happens when I exit the program via the "home" key on the keypad. It immediatly resets and brings me back to the phone screen. Then when I open Mapopolis again - there are no errors shown, but it resets *every* time now when I exit.

As I said in an earlier post, I have deleted all possible hacks.

Can anyone help???? I have 13 meg available on my phone and more on my card...

HELP!!
    Need gift ideas?

Hi guys,

Have recently bought a GPS mouse for my Treo 600, and am very impressed with Mapopolis - both in itself and the community surrounding it.

Currently evaluatingthe demo maps, but how the heck do you get it to find / navigate between UK POSTCODES?

I'm sure I've had it working once, but now it just sits there (no spinning timer "clock"), or comes up saying it cant find a UK postcode.

(Yes, I have set it to search "anywhere", rather than a restricted radius).

Am I doing something wrong, do the demo's not support this, or is it wanting a US Zip Code format?

Also, "Address book" seems to refer to it's own address book, rather than the Treo's (it can find contact's addresses in the Treo Address book, but never actually locate them on the map) - again, I have a feeling this may be down to the format it's expecting.

Can anyone help on these queries? I really want to show off my new toy to freinds and familly!

*OFF TOPIC*

Does anyone know the RSSI code for Orange here in the UK?
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    Hi guys,

Have recently bought a GPS mouse for my Treo 600, and am very impressed with Mapopolis - both in itself and the community surrounding it.

Currently evaluatingthe demo maps, but how the heck do you get it to find / navigate between UK POSTCODES?

I'm sure I've had it working once, but now it just sits there (no spinning timer "clock"), or comes up saying it cant find a UK postcode.

(Yes, I have set it to search "anywhere", rather than a restricted radius).

Am I doing something wrong, do the demo's not support this, or is it wanting a US Zip Code format?

Also, "Address book" seems to refer to it's own address book, rather than the Treo's (it can find contact's addresses in the Treo Address book, but never actually locate them on the map) - again, I have a feeling this may be down to the format it's expecting.

Can anyone help on these queries? I really want to show off my new toy to freinds and familly!

*OFF TOPIC*

Does anyone know the RSSI code for Orange here in the UK?
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
    Has anyone tried the delorme bluetooth with the 650 i don't see it on the compatibility chart on delorme but it is new. I am really itchin to buy the bluetooth powerpack since i allready have the wired package for my laptop but i want to know if it works before i spend the $$$ can pick up the software pretty cheap or use something other than Street atlas since i haven't heard anything wonderful about it.
    OK I bought an iTrek (after following this board for some time). This thing is to cool. Took a short road trip with my son, just so we could watch it work.

It appears that I need to keep the GPS unit on the dash board. Is this true. Also, there is this suction cup thing, that I think is for keeping the GPS unit on the dash board. But it does not hold well. Also end up with a lot of wires. Any suggestions.'

Thanks

SPG
    Good questions. My unit is sitting in a wrapped box in the closet, so I can't even so much pull it out and see if the vent mounting clip works or if I'll have to order another mount for an expected trip on New Year's Eve.

I've been pondering the same questions (mounting and wires) and am eager to hear some responses so I can hit the ground running come Christmas morning.
    Also, is checking "Keep device power on for 1 hr" really effective for longer trips, or is something like oncradleon or STOIC (Stay On In Cradle) necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Also, is checking "Keep device power on for 1 hr" really effective for longer trips, or is something like oncradleon or STOIC (Stay On In Cradle) necessary?
    Yes, this is necessary.... I use Profiles to "StayOnWhenPlugIn".

P.S. How is it possible that your is *still* in the box!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
    Need gift ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by SPG
    OK I bought an iTrek (after following this board for some time). This thing is to cool. Took a short road trip with my son, just so we could watch it work.

It appears that I need to keep the GPS unit on the dash board. Is this true. Also, there is this suction cup thing, that I think is for keeping the GPS unit on the dash board. But it does not hold well. Also end up with a lot of wires. Any suggestions.'

Thanks

SPG
    The GPS unit needs to transmit to satellites and will work 1000 times better if it has direct access out of a window to the clear sky. People have said that they have gotten it to work by putting it in the glove box, but not all that well.

I use the suction cup about 3" away from the GPS end and attached it to the windshield... mine works good - no problems.

-Patrick
    Need gift ideas?

Yes, this is necessary.... I use Profiles to "StayOnWhenPlugIn".
    Thanks.

P.S. How is it possible that your is *still* in the box!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
    It's a Christmas gift.
    Thanks for the recommendation on Profiles. I've been playing around with it and it looks like a nice free app.

As I don't have the iTrek available to me yet, I can't play around with that aspect, but is there any way to set a trigger so it knows that if it's plugged in in the car (to the iTrek) that it's different than being plugged into the cradle at home?

Or do you just have to manually turn the screen off while at home or at the office?
    OK I do love this thing, but working on a few items.

1. The air vent holder thing keeps falling out. This can not be good on the Treo. Are there any tricks? Am thinking of using super glue. Help would be appriciated.

2. I like looking up addresses in the address book. Are there tricks to how to inter the address? Such as, does Mapopolist always put Drive as Dr. Does Mapoplist put North, South East and West as North, South East and West or as N, S, E, and W? Does Mapoplist always put North, South East and West (or N, S, E, and W) at the end of the street address? How about highway numbers. Any suggeations there? Any other tricks people have found helpful?

3. I have read about the different Mapopolist and time required to find routes. In my short experince I think I like loading the county map of where I am going and state maps for all states between Florida (where I live) and where I am going (normally in FL, GA or SC). Here is my problem. I do not always know of the county I am going to. I know the city and street, but not the county. On the Mapoplist sight you can see maps of the different states with the countys identified, but that is not helpful when I am on the road. Does anyone know of something like those maps that I can view on my Treo, or a program like Directory Assistant that can pull down the information or state databases with all the citys and geographical areas in each county of each state?

Thanks

SPG
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Thanks for the recommendation on Profiles. I've been playing around with it and it looks like a nice free app.

As I don't have the iTrek available to me yet, I can't play around with that aspect, but is there any way to set a trigger so it knows that if it's plugged in in the car (to the iTrek) that it's different than being plugged into the cradle at home?

Or do you just have to manually turn the screen off while at home or at the office?
    Sure you can set a different profile and set that one when you need to. For example, I have a "Night GPS" setting where I have the contrast and the brightness turned all the way down.

For your question, you can set a profile called Home where you un-check the StayOnInCradle option... this should work well.

GREAT TIP ABOUT PROFILES I JUST LEARNED: Hold down the solid blue "alt" button and a Profiles box will pop up. It will tell you what profile is currently selected and you can toggle down to quickly change between profiles!
    Need gift ideas?