Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast
    They supposedly also update the maps twice every year, maybe that's their rationale for just making it a web download?
    Regarding the Delorme GPS and the Treo 600: I ordered the Delorme GPS and a separate cable from supplynet.com (expensive at $59.95, does include cable to connect in car).

My reason for using the Delorme is that I wanted to have it truly portable. I use a golf GPS system called Intelligolf that allows me to map courses while I play. This combination has worked perfectly for me for the last two months. This portability also allows me to us this combination for walking around cities. I have found that the Delorme works with most, but not all GPS software. The Delorme uses four AAA cells. I use NiMH rechargables which will last 6-8 hours of continuous use.

DeLorme also has a Bluetooth version which with the Treo 650 should be a killer combo! (can't wait to see hi-res maps!)

It came with Street Atlas 2004 which I found to be lacking after trying Mapopolis. I found the directions unclear and the map difficult to read while driving. It was also slow. The PC-based mapping software is tedious to use, then you have to transfer the files over to your Treo.

Mapopolis, in contrast, is much clearer and versatile. I used it in Dallas, New York City and environs and Washington, DC. It was very accurate and the design obviously was done with the PDA user in mind, since the Treo keys are supported for zooming, menu, detail level control, etc. The map is easy to see while driving and the directions take up a third of the screen. At first I thought this was overkill, but it makes sense the when you are looking around to find your destination and your Treo is two feet away! The ability to use the SD card to store large maps is great.

Two things I did not care for, the syntesized speech is a work in progress. The programmed phrases are adequate and much clearer. Also, most of us think in terms of metropolitan areas or towns, but the maps are organized by counties. It may be self evident to those in Dallas, but what county is it in? The same goes for the Hamptons in Long Island, etc.

Hope this helps.
    Hi, tomitomd and others,

What Mapopolis is moving toward in the beta is a marked reduction in having to know the names of counties. The major road maps have the complete index of every named city, town, and community in them, and if you start from one with the maps you need on the card, you can quickly find the city, go there, set a narrow search radius (or use the city name for the search radius, which is even better) and find your address.

You can find a help file that's really addressed to Mapopolis's English customers, but will help with understanding routing under the beta and setting search boundaries based on city name here:

http://kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/Pa...outingHelp.pdf
    Does this work when you dont have maps of the area you are in?

Can you save a location and then get general direction and distance from where you are back to that location when you move about?
    .no sig.
    Whats gonna happen with the treo650 and these accesories?
    Hi, lighitis,

Folks with mouse GPS devices will be able to buy a $50 mouse-GPS-to-Bluetooth adapter from semsons.com and continue to use the GPS they have.
    And the car kit? the treo 650 will fit in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Whats gonna happen with the treo650 and these accesories?
    It depends. However, at an absolute minimum, one must get a new cable for connecting the 650 (with its new connector) to the GPS and the power. I forget now who I got my iTrek from but, as I remember it, the cable for the 600 was the value that they added.

The connectors on the iTrek and 12V power are standard. Those on the 600 and 650 are proprietary and different from each other.
    Anyone have this up and running on the 650? Please link to website for gps and software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Anyone have this up and running on the 650? Please link to website for gps and software.
    I got a version of Mapopolis that works with the 650. Email support@mapopolis.com requesting that version.

I don't have a GPS device solution yet, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
    Hi, lighitis,

Folks with mouse GPS devices will be able to buy a $50 mouse-GPS-to-Bluetooth adapter from semsons.com and continue to use the GPS they have.
    Thanks, SafeHarbor.

Any idea if there is a solution that can support power to both the Treo and the GPS mouse?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Thanks, SafeHarbor.

Any idea if there is a solution that can support power to both the Treo and the GPS mouse?
    Probably not. Not the same problem as on the 600. The 600 needed to get power and input from the same connection. One had to be able to get power and GPS on the same cable.

On the Semson/650 solution, power comes in on the cable but GPS input comes in on Bluetooth.

It is true the one must power both devices but that can be accomplished with a male to two female 12 volt power adapter from Radio Shack.
    I have a Garmin V. Is it possible to connect my Treo 600 to the Garmin V and use it as the gps receiver for the Treo 600? if so does anyone know where to get the cables?

Thanks
    Hi guys,
    I currently have a cell phone (Moto V300) & an old palm M505, I wanna get a GPS system for my car, but the decent ones are so expensive (around a grand), so after reading this thread & the positive inputs about the Treo-GPS system, I decided to upgrade by getting a Treo 600 to function as a phone + PDA, and add the GPS system to it so that I can have a good GPS device. now my question is, I'll be travelling across the east cost (next trip is from Ohio to Virginia, then from DC to NYC), so I wanted to know if I would be able to use this device for the inter-state trips, would it be effective, and how would it use the maps, cause in devices like the Garmin streetPilot 2620, detailed maps of the whole US is stored on a hard drive pre-installed in the device which automatically detects the location & the maps needed for that location, how would I make such long trips using the T600 & its GPS system?

I appreciate your input guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by ledo1611
    Hi guys,
    I currently have a cell phone (Moto V300) & an old palm M505, I wanna get a GPS system for my car, but the decent ones are so expensive (around a grand), so after reading this thread & the positive inputs about the Treo-GPS system, I decided to upgrade by getting a Treo 600 to function as a phone + PDA, and add the GPS system to it so that I can have a good GPS device. now my question is, I'll be travelling across the east cost (next trip is from Ohio to Virginia, then from DC to NYC), so I wanted to know if I would be able to use this device for the inter-state trips, would it be effective, and how would it use the maps, cause in devices like the Garmin streetPilot 2620, detailed maps of the whole US is stored on a hard drive pre-installed in the device which automatically detects the location & the maps needed for that location, how would I make such long trips using the T600 & its GPS system?

I appreciate your input guys.
    The simple answer is that you put in the origin and destination counties and all state major roads in the states that you will cross. That really will work.
    Thanks for your reply. what I've noticed is that I have to load the maps as u said to my T600 before starting the trip, but wouldn't that be too much consumption of the RAM which would affect the performance? because I believe loading them to an SD card would make the maps to load much slower, also I currently have a 128MB card on my palm m505 & I plan to use it for the T600 when I get it, would that be enough or I will need to get a bigger card (256, 512...etc) to accomodate all the maps & my other applications?

the other thing is, the Garmin device has like 5 million points of interest, is there a way to get that feature or something similar for my T600 GPS system?

Thanks!
    Thanks for your reply. what I've noticed is that I have to load the maps as u said to my T600 before starting the trip, but wouldn't that be too much consumption of the RAM which would affect the performance?
    With Mapopolis 2.02 you have the option to have maps in RAM or on the card.

....because I believe loading them to an SD card would make the maps to load much slower, also I currently have a 128MB card on my palm m505 & I plan to use it for the T600 when I get it, would that be enough or I will need to get a bigger card (256, 512...etc) to accomodate all the maps & my other applications?
    I use Mapopolis 1.35 so I must move the maps to RAM. Some of them are very large. 2.02 does not have this limitation. It also has other nice features such as an interface to one's Treo contact database. (It will put the coordinates of a contact in the custom1 field of the contact for subsequent use. Unfortunately for me, I have data in that field for some contacts. If 2.02 finds something other than coordinates in that field anywhere in the database, it crashes. I am cleansing the database now so I can try 2.02 again.

128MB is a lot of maps. On the other hand one can get a 1G card for under $50.00.

the other thing is, the Garmin device has like 5 million points of interest, is there a way to get that feature or something similar for my T600 GPS system?

Thanks!
    I do not know how many points of interest are in the Mapapolis database. Perhaps the Mapopolis web site speaks to it. All I can say is that I have rarely looked for anything that I did not find. It is as good as the one in The Hertz NeverLost and that is Garmin. It is also easier to use than NeverLost, in part because one has a keyboard, in part, because it has great search features.

One other nice feature of Mapopolis is that, as an alternative to the recorded voice prompts, it has a text-to-voice synthesizer. This means that instead of saying "Take the next exit," it will say Take exit 42 to New York City."
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/29/2004 at 11:48 AM.
    Hey all. I am running Mapopolis 2.2 on a Treo 600. I downloaded a few local maps and everything was fine for about 3 days. (no GPS - should arrive tomorrow)

Then, when I exited the program (using the home key) this would cause a soft reset. Then I would get an error upon re-loading *sometimes* (didn't write down the number).

I tried to delete all of the applications (pref, program, maps, etc) and reinstall and it still happens.

I read here about the soft reset with the up arrow on the front of the device, and Mapopolis wouldn't even appear in the All tab. So I deleted Battery Dr, PDA net, Pickum, Tip Assist, Aound Recorder, and Treo Guard (all extra apps that *may* be considered hacks)

And it still resets every single dang time.

Can anyone help? I purchased the bundle from Semsons and the GPS should arrive tomorrow, I am hoping to have this corrected by then.

P.S. Lamar, I sent an email yesterday evening to support as well.

-Patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by pkaine
    Hey all. I am running Mapopolis 2.2 on a Treo 600. I downloaded a few local maps and everything was fine for about 3 days. (no GPS - should arrive tomorrow)

Then, when I exited the program (using the home key) this would cause a soft reset. Then I would get an error upon re-loading *sometimes* (didn't write down the number).

I tried to delete all of the applications (pref, program, maps, etc) and reinstall and it still happens.

I read here about the soft reset with the up arrow on the front of the device, and Mapopolis wouldn't even appear in the All tab. So I deleted Battery Dr, PDA net, Pickum, Tip Assist, Aound Recorder, and Treo Guard (all extra apps that *may* be considered hacks)

And it still resets every single dang time.

Can anyone help? I purchased the bundle from Semsons and the GPS should arrive tomorrow, I am hoping to have this corrected by then.

P.S. Lamar, I sent an email yesterday evening to support as well.

-Patrick
    The error code was probably 202-1905. Lamar suggested to me that this error is caused by data in the custom1 field of the contact database. (This is the field in which 2.02 puts the GPS coordinates of the contact address.)

The only program that you and I have in common is PDANet. I am glad that the problem does not follow it.

When you deinstall, you must use the native Palm application delete. You must deinstall both mapopolis and pspeak. Then you must do a soft reset before re-installing anything.
    Thanks for your response, I also got back my email from Lamar, I deleted all apps and maps, did a soft-reset, re-installed the programs as well as the fredricksburg map, and all seems to be ok now. Wheeew. I just hope it's not my local maps that were causing the problem.

Does anyone know what happens when you want to make a phone call or receive a phone call when using the GPS?