Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    So how does this package work if you are outside a map area?

Say, you are hiking in the wilderness away from any recognized roads.
    Or, you are in a foreign country without a downloaded map.

Can you still see your coordinates? Track a route?
    By the way, this is a great site. I have had a Treo 600 for about 3 months now and love it.
    Soon to be Newbie question...
    Does using GPS require data connectivity package (Verizon)?

Thanks,
    Rap
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raprider
    Soon to be Newbie question...
    Does using GPS require data connectivity package (Verizon)?

Thanks,
    Rap
    No it doesn't. The only use of data would be if you want to download the maps directly to your Treo (which is possible). Otherwise, you just download the maps to your computer and copy them to the Treo (main memory or SD card if you use the 2.x beta which I highly recommend).
    Jeff
    Does anyone know if the gps that comes with Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 works with mapopolis? Is there some kind of adapter so that i can connect it to the Treo 600?
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    No it doesn't. The only use of data would be if you want to download the maps directly to your Treo (which is possible). Otherwise, you just download the maps to your computer and copy them to the Treo (main memory or SD card if you use the 2.x beta which I highly recommend).
    How do you download and install maps directly to the Treo?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0306
    How do you download and install maps directly to the Treo?
    Just go to the mapopolis website using Blazer and either download a demo map or sign-in to download Map Pack maps the same way you would from a desktop computer.
    Jeff
    I just went on a trip using Mapopolis 2.17 with all the maps on the SD card (in the /Maps directory). It worked great. The only thing I noticed was slightly slower rerouting. One other thing: Get out of Mapopolis and turn off your Treo before unplugging the GPS unit.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    After reading this thread (well 2/3 of it) I downloaded and played with Mapopolis on my Treo for a few hours. Yesterday I went ahead and purchased the Semsons iTrek package, a 512 SD card (gave my one away that came with the phone) and a card reader. I'm hoping to get it all by Monday and can't wait to start playing with this!

I have a Vaja case for my treo and am wondering if there will be any issues plugging the GPS into the phone. Also how long is the GPS cable? I usually leave my phone in the change tray in between the seats of my truck, and I think I'd have to take the phone out of the case to use it in any of the holders. Like to avoid that if possible.
    If you can plug the hotsync or charge cable into the phone in the case then you will be able to use the gps since they are the same plug. The gps cable is pretty long. It seems too long for my dashboard application so you shouldn't have a hard time.
    Hello folks, thought I'd post this here and the gspPassion forum...I uninstalled 2.0.5 on my Treo 600, and then installed 2.17. Whenver I try to start the application, my Treo crashes and restarts. I've tried installed 2.15 and even back to 2.05, but I keep crashing. There is a file, "Mapopolis)Psp3_appl_a68k", that I can see in Filez, but it will not allow me to delete it. Is this my problem, or does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I decided 1st to try the Mapopolis demo with PSpeak before ordering the package. I, personally had a hard time understanding the digitally generated speech, especially with street names. I think I've gone thru most of the posts in this thread, but no one else has mentioned this. Is the quality of the generated speech better with the purchased package? Is it just me? Does it just take time to get use to? Thanks.
    Hi Guys and girls.. Wow.... does Mapopolis, ever sound cool. Does it indeed have Nova Scotia Canada in it as well? One person mentioned it didn't have Canada then a reply was it had both USA and Canada. ?? Sounds to me like it is a great little GPS unit. Has phone mp3 player and all kinds of great stuff..
    Thinking about purchasing the treo 600.. This is a truely great forum and full of info...
    Look forward on the response.

kev69
    Quote Originally Posted by khchin
    I decided 1st to try the Mapopolis demo with PSpeak before ordering the package. I, personally had a hard time understanding the digitally generated speech, especially with street names. I think I've gone thru most of the posts in this thread, but no one else has mentioned this. Is the quality of the generated speech better with the purchased package? Is it just me? Does it just take time to get use to? Thanks.
    The speech quality is the same in trial vs. purchased package - i.e. not really good. I just use one of the pre-recorded voices. There are some available on the net besides the ones that come with the software. I miss the street names, but to me, it is an acceptable tradeoff. I wish they would mix the two (pre-recorded for everything else and generated for street names).
    I am just hesitating to install new Beta Release of Mapopolis. On the one hand it should be possible to read Maps from SD-Card. On the other hand you should never change a running team.

What do you suggest? Any experience?
    Tahnks a lot,
    Matti.
    You should give it a try since you can always roll back to the previous working version. I always keep the previous version in another location on my SD card so I can roll back if necessary. My main memory is almost full so being able to read the maps directly off the SD card is a godsend. I have had no problems with 2.17, just make sure to put your active maps in the /Maps directory of your SD card. (You need to create this directory if you don't have it.)
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    So far I've had good results with the Mapopolis 2.17 package. I only have a few things of note.

• cancel button should cancel at that time, instead of waiting for the task in progress to complete first. For example, if a search for a location takes too long to complete.
    • I've had to reset once because of the item above. After that, I could not get back into Mapopolis. After selecting Start from the splash screen, I'd get an error message, and it would hang. I had to totally delete Mapopolis from the system (including preferences and all), and reinstall to get it back working again.
    • need volume control on the Mapopolis Words package. That voice is too loud.
    I took a different method of sorting my maps as well. So far it seems to be working for me, but does anyone know if this will cause problems?

Under /Maps I have the following directories

DC_Metro
    Midwest
    Northeast
    Northwest
    Southeast
    Southwest
    West

In DC_Metro, I have the DC, VA, and MD major roads. Also I have all the DC/VA/MD county maps for the area. This is where I live so I figure it's what I'll use most. I have maps from Stafford to Faquier to Frederick to Annapolis.

In each of the other folders I have the states belonging to that region. With few exceptions (NC, VA, SC, TN, MD, DC) I have only major roads maps. The maps from DC_Metro are also located in their respective state folders.

My thought was that if I am taking a trip from VA to NC (which I do often), I can just set the directory to /Maps/Southeast and it will pull what I need, skipping the rest of the nation.

If I travel to other areas of the country, I'd drop the county maps needed in each state's folder.

It would be rare that I'd travel across "borders" (southeast to northeast, etc), but I had considered making one more top level set of folders called East and West, and split it somewhere down the middle (might have to break up the midwest directory to do it).

Any problems with this approach?
    successfully installed the new beta release this morning, seems to be working. still, there are some questions open: if i want to travel on more then one map, does mapopolis search for the right map itself (when reading maps from sd-card)? and: how do i keep the screen from turning to black every 30 seconds?
    thats all for today,
    thanks a lot,
    matti.
  20.    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by matti
    successfully installed the new beta release this morning, seems to be working. still, there are some questions open: if i want to travel on more then one map, does mapopolis search for the right map itself (when reading maps from sd-card)? and: how do i keep the screen from turning to black every 30 seconds?
    thats all for today,
    thanks a lot,
    matti.
    Yes, Mapopolis will retrieve the correct map for you. In a few of the threads there are some good ideas on how to organize your maps on the sd card and they have really worked well for me.

As to your screen going blank (black) every 30 seconds or so, you will need to change your power management on your treo. Download the free program called Profiles (it's on this site, just do a search) and set up one of your profiles so that when your treo is charging or in a cradle, it will stay on.

Glad you like it, I use mine almost everyday.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad