Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    There is an option to recalculate route on startup. See if it's on and turn it off.
    Yes, that was it. Thanks.
    I've just returned from my first reasonable length trip using Mapopolis. No real problems and it even taught me a short cut quite near my house that I didn't know about!

As for the ETA, I agree it's quite accurate, but if it was simply using a set of predetermined average speeds then surely it would make sense to be able to change them (as you can with something like Autoroute). Is it not doing something slightly more clever using the actual speed data it's getting from the GPS data? Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I was testing this last night while I was travelling at 75-80 mph and it does seem to be surprisingly accurate.
    I just checked out seido's website and look at this.... droool......

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...2DSMGF1HSTR600

This would make a great edition to the whole package
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I just checked out seido's website and look at this.... droool......

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...2DSMGF1HSTR600

This would make a great edition to the whole package
    That looks terrific. Has anybody tried it?
    I don't think it's available yet
    Just got my unit today from semsons today. Woohoo! This is great. Thanks to everyone's input on this forum!
    Couple of questions though:
    Is the unit supposed to rattle? It sounds like a ball-bearing is rolling around inside the case.

Also, what kind of mounts are people using? The Akron mount is, to be kind, a little flimsy for my tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by chumprock
    I've been considering a GPS unit lately, and have a couple questions if ya dont mind.

I have a job where I shoot houses for a real estate company, what I'd love to be able to do is map out all the addresses ahead of time, and then have the gps direct me from waypoint to waypoint. Is that possible? Is there a hard cap on the amount of waypoints I could use?

I'm shooting about 200-300 houses a week, and doing everything on paper is getting real stale.
    You read my mind - I want to do the same thing. I do residential appraisals, and I take pictures of 3-4 other properties than the one I'm appraising for comparison. I realize I can put in the next address in when I arrive at the first one (the workaround SafeHarbor suggested in lieu of waypoints), but I'd really like to be able to enter 3 or 4 addresses at once, with the last entered address being my end point, and then let the application calculate the fastest route from my current GPS location (or a given start address). That would definitely make this application even more usable for me. Any chance something like this is possible? Thanks, love the app....
    Quote Originally Posted by phatcher
    Just got my unit today from semsons today. Woohoo! This is great. Thanks to everyone's input on this forum!
    Couple of questions though:
    Is the unit supposed to rattle? It sounds like a ball-bearing is rolling around inside the case.

Also, what kind of mounts are people using? The Akron mount is, to be kind, a little flimsy for my tastes.
    Do you mean that the GPS mouse is rattling? Mine doesn't make any sounds at all. If it's the mouse, I say definitely send it back.
    Yes. The GPS Mouse is indeed rattling. I didn't think it was suppposed to.
    Thanks.
    Hi, all,

Mapopolis is asking folks for feedback about how different SD card models/brands and amount of free RAM affect program performance during route generation on various handhelds. It would be very helpful if Treo owners (particularly those with 10x and 32x cards) would participate, because with so many users of the same device, it would be an excellent reference base.

You can read about the test here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=14080
    I've been following this thread with great interest and am finally going to buy in but wanted some longer-term feedback in regards to the hardware. While the Trek mouse seems popular, how has it been holding up to extended use? Has anyone tried this mouse http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=112535 ?
    What are some of the prices people are getting on the mouse? A quick Froogle search puts Treks anywhere from $159 to $199. Any better prices or bundles?

Many thanks,
    Lactoso the Intolerant
    I paid $189 from semsons.com. The car charger and vent mount were included, so it made the price more appealing.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    This post has been terrific for getting great information on the mapopolis bundles and the value of GPS. I purchased from Semsons.com the Cirocomm/Mapopolis bundle delivered for about $185 with tax in TWO DAYS. Those people are great. The GPS starts up very quickly( about 15 seconds from a cold start) and works great. The software is also terrific. I routinely travel in areas that I do not know and don't love the navigation pane when it overlays the basic screen (takes up too much of the limited treo screen space). My solution is get to the general area with just the GPS on then use the navigation to get exactly where I want to go. From the navigation start screen, with my settings of start route at current GPS location, I plug in my destination address and generate a route in about 5 - 10 seconds. Works phenomenally well and gets me there without having to clutter the screen for the bulk of my drive. I set up the maps in my area as described by Safeharbor early on in this thread with a maps directory off the root directory of the card then group all the maps by subdirectory by state: Example: maps\NJ or maps\NY. Have had nothing but great experiences so far. Great thread keep it going
    Last edited by robkz; 08/19/2004 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Nothing in it
    With all that's been said,

I have to drive from Ohio to Florida, making pit stops depending on surroundings.

So, what's the best hardware and software package?
    Beach Computers
    Affordable online solutions.
    Visit us today for great web hosting deals:
    http://www.beachcomp.com
    hi experts,

I just received my package form semsons and now I am a bit lost where to place the GPS-Mouse while travelling? Do I have to put it outside the car on top of the roof? Travilling with at least slighty opened window if it is raining or whatever???

thanks,
    Matti
    Matti

It should work just fine inside the car, try just putting it on the dashboard somewhere.
    I have actually got mine to work with the GPS in inside the glovebox, although I found I was (unsurprisingly) losing the signal quite frequently.

Mark
    So I finally got my replacment unit. I had a loose screw or something inside the unit. Now that I'm playing with it more, I wonder: Is there a way to get the sound to come out of the headphones? Between the window being open and the radio, I can't understand or hear the voice directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by phatcher
    So I finally got my replacment unit. I had a loose screw or something inside the unit. Now that I'm playing with it more, I wonder: Is there a way to get the sound to come out of the headphones? Between the window being open and the radio, I can't understand or hear the voice directions.
    The sound would come out of a stereo headphone. Last weekend I was taking a trip and had the Treo play music with pocket-tunes while navigating with Mapopolis. I have the headphone adapter from palmOne and was using a cassette adapter. The directions where coming over the music! It was awesome!
    Lamar:
    Just loaded 2.17 and I am getting many resets when I do just about anything. Pity, because 2.16 was pretty stable for me. The error code I have been getting is 1078916880.
    Hi, Boardoe,

I'll report that error message to the programmers. It's apparently one of the expanded reporting messages that I was told the programmers were adding. Familiar error messages have the form release-error with error being a three-digit number.

Thanks.