Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    It's sad to see this once thriving thread dying out as a result of moving it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    It's sad to see this once thriving thread dying out as a result of moving it here.
    It can't die yet, I only just got my GPS unit!
    Maybe it needs a whole new forum to itself..... Software > Navigation
    or something like that.
  4.    #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I agree with you silverado.

When I first decided to start this thread I purposely put it in the General Treo Chat Forum for several reasons.

First, this isn't just software ... there is a hardware component as well. In fact, many of the posts were discussions on the differences in the gps receivers.

Second, I didn't put it into the Treo 600 Forum, as Mapopolis has OS4 versions of it's software and someone with a Treo 270 or 300 may have chosen to use it as well. So, clearly it didn't belong in that forum.

So, the moderators, perhaps in a frenzy to clean up posts, chose to move it to the General Software Forum where it has gotten lost. Pity, too, because I certainly have learned quite a bit reading the thread.

Not to give the mods a hard time, but they could have even buried it deeper had they put it in the Utilities Forum.

This thread deserves to be in the Treo General Forum and I hope that the mods will see it makes more sense there as well.

Just my .02. Besides, since you lost about 100 of my posts in April, a little discretion and favoritism towards someone that does participate would be greatly appreciated.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I agree. Let's ask the moderators
    I agree. There is more to this thread than the software. It is a great asset to the Treo. I have not shown the combo to anyone who does not come away impressed. This is really "THE" place for information.
    I have a question. I am using pspeak. To awitch to the "Simone" voice, do I delete pspeak and add Simone from that website that was mentioned earlier in this thread? That pspeak voice is killing me, but I like the street names.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0306
    I have a question. I am using pspeak. To awitch to the "Simone" voice, do I delete pspeak and add Simone from that website that was mentioned earlier in this thread? That pspeak voice is killing me, but I like the street names.
    Yes, you have to delete pspeak and add Simone. Otherwise, pspeak will continue to work (it seems to overide the recorded voices). I stuck with pspeak because I really like the street names.
    Jeff
    Here's an interesting tidbit about something I discovered by accident today.

Running the 2.11 beta version, if you HotSync a map to RAM that cannot connect to any of the maps in the pointed-to folder on the card, the program will revert to the previous mode of operation with the map in RAM. This means that one map can be loaded to RAM and gain the performance boost in routing, POI find, and location find that the open on card model cannot yield.

Of course, this limits you to what maps will fit in RAM. For local navigation in a small or even a relatively large city, it should be currently possible on most 32-meg models.

I hope you folks might creatively elaborate on this notion, but I have added a /maps/empty folder to my card that I can point to when I want absolute control over what maps are loaded to RAM.

By the way, I asked the head programmer if we should have an option to turn off open on card when we wanted to open maps in RAM. I learned that an objective of the open on card model is to make the user experience between opening maps in RAM and maps on the card as seamless as possible. This means that the program will not differentiate between maps in RAM and maps on the card.

So while we "power users" might sometimes want to load a few maps to RAM, the user experience for the average user is intended to remain as uncomplicated as possible which is a GOOD THING.

This workaround seems to give us the option. Now we have to find out if COPYing a map to RAM and pointing to an empty folder gets the preferences file out of sync. So far, I haven't seen it, and I played with this a WHILE today.
    Safeharbor,

I'm having better success with my UK maps now that I'm using the directory structure you suggested previously, thanks for that.

I think I'm still going to have some issues due to the file size of the UK counties in comparison to the US. I live just to the west of London, wihch means I need to load six counties (about 17MB) to cover a 25-30 mile radius from my house. If I add the NE and NW London maps that's another 3MB. I'll have a play with the 'empty' folder idea and see what happens (can't get all 20MB into RAM though!).

One other question. I'm using v2.11, what's the best way to 'end' a particular route once you've used it? It says 'Tap Screen to Close' when you arrive (which I do).

The problem I'm finding is that when I next start the program it starts up and some map data appears on screen, when I then press the menu button to pull up the main menu I get 30+ seconds of a turning clock before menu appears. I think what it's doing is trying to recalculate the previous route before showing me the menu. Any ideas?
    So the Simone voice does not do street names? Only pspeak does?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0306
    So the Simone voice does not do street names? Only pspeak does?
    Correct. None of the pre-recorded voices do street names. Only the computer gernerated voice of pspeak.
    Jeff
    I need a handheld GPS. I've bought every gadget that has ever come out. Sometimes regretfully so. Why should I by iTrek/Mapopolis over a handheld? Is it superior to a $200 - $300 handheld? The argument that I only need to carry one doesn't matter to me. Is this Treo GPS too complex with bugs remaining? I'd like to hear hard facts on this Treo option vs handheld GPS, not "wow factor" comments on how it's neat to have a GPS on a phone. Thanks
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I need a handheld GPS. I've bought every gadget that has ever come out. Sometimes regretfully so. Why should I by iTrek/Mapopolis over a handheld? Is it superior to a $200 - $300 handheld? The argument that I only need to carry one doesn't matter to me. Is this Treo GPS too complex with bugs remaining? I'd like to hear hard facts on this Treo option vs handheld GPS, not "wow factor" comments on how it's neat to have a GPS on a phone. Thanks
    If you need it to walk/hike without a direct power source, this combo will not work for you. I tried it on my bike and it draws power from a direct source, not the treo's battery.

I have used it in the car with no bugs at all. I don't have any hacks installed on my treo, so that probably helps a lot.

If you can use the handheld in your car, then that may be the best option. You may also want to check out igolf's bundle which fits into the SD card on the treo ... I'm not sure what kind of space that would leave for maps since there is no space on the card for them. Whatever maps you would require would have to fit into ram.

Again, keep in mind that the treo is basically a cellphone/pda with the ability to add many different uses through 3rd party software. As such, it will never work as well at things as a single use device.

That being said ... I continue my recommendation of this package and use it every day.

So does anyone know how mapopolis calculates the ETA? I think it calculates 60 mph to 65 mpg on the highway... I'm really curious on a 4 hour trip we were all wondering.
  16.    #256  
    I don't know how it computes the ETA, but it is accurate.

So is the distance.

I've been considering a GPS unit lately, and have a couple questions if ya dont mind.

I have a job where I shoot houses for a real estate company, what I'd love to be able to do is map out all the addresses ahead of time, and then have the gps direct me from waypoint to waypoint. Is that possible? Is there a hard cap on the amount of waypoints I could use?

I'm shooting about 200-300 houses a week, and doing everything on paper is getting real stale.
    my moblog:
    <a href="http://chumprock.textamerica.com/">http://chumprock.textamerica.com/</a>
  18.    #258  
    Man, that's a lot of bullets!

I'm not sure of entering waypts, but you can just enter in street address as your destination and use current position as you start.

Interesting question though ... I'm going to have to play around a little.

Markmat said:
    The problem I'm finding is that when I next start the program it starts up and some map data appears on screen, when I then press the menu button to pull up the main menu I get 30+ seconds of a turning clock before menu appears. I think what it's doing is trying to recalculate the previous route before showing me the menu. Any ideas?
    There is an option to recalculate route on startup. See if it's on and turn it off.
    There's not an easy way to import waypoints into the program. However, destinations can be set up as Geomarks, which are saved to the Address Book and become persistent icons on the map.

By the way, has anyone mentioned that the Palm Find icon (magnifying glass) is a rapid way to go to the Find screen without going through the Main Menu?