Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    I started having a problem with my itrek yesterday. I tried to use it and I get a message "gps could not be started". I have checked all connections and they seemed to be fine. I unplugged and replugged all connections. The blinking red led is blinking as normal. I have a treo 600. I am using mapopolis beta 2.11. I deleted the app and reinstalled it and the unit worked fine. This morning, the same thing happened. The first time I experienced it I was using 2.10 beta. Any one have any suggestions. I always close the mapopolis application before unplugging the cord.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0306
    I started having a problem with my itrek yesterday. I tried to use it and I get a message "gps could not be started". I have checked all connections and they seemed to be fine. I unplugged and replugged all connections. The blinking red led is blinking as normal. I have a treo 600. I am using mapopolis beta 2.11. I deleted the app and reinstalled it and the unit worked fine. This morning, the same thing happened. The first time I experienced it I was using 2.10 beta. Any one have any suggestions. I always close the mapopolis application before unplugging the cord.

Did you make sure that the Treo Serial Connection is set in the Settings...GPS section? If you did, check again. Maybe the setting isn't sticking.
    Jeff
    Actually I did check that. It was just set to "use serial connection" I switched it to Treo serial and it still doesn''t work. Today at your suggestion, I checked and sure enough it was back to "use serial connection" I have switched it back. I will see if that makes a difference.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Actually I did check that. It was just set to "use serial connection" I switched it to Treo serial and it still doesn''t work. Today at your suggestion, I checked and sure enough it was back to "use serial connection" I have switched it back. I will see if that makes a difference.
    I am not sure why it's not sticking. Just make sure you press "OK" after you make the changes.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I just thought of something else. When you upgrade the beta do you delete the mapopolis preference file as well? Over writting it without deleting it has been known to cause problems. Plus they changed the preference file format with the 2.11b. You may want to go a head and delete if you are still having problems or even if you aren't (you will have to use Filez or similar file manager since deleting the Mapopolis program does NOT delete the prerence file). Mapopolis will re-generate it.
    Jeff
    Kevin0306,
    I have had the same problem occur several times (started with Beta 2.05) I get the same error message. I soft reset my Treo and everything works again.
    I assumed that some hack has locked out the GPS mouse.
    OK I just read this Thread.

I have used Mapopolis for some time, but not with GPS. I still do not use GPS. But I do have a Treo and a 512 SD Card. The SD card is new (had a 128 before). I am in sales, so I put a bunch of maps on the card. Started being told I could not put any more maps on. Also, when I opened Mapopolis it told me I had to many maps and only so many would show.

I thought I would make different directories for different states, but I was directed to this Thread by Mapopolis support. I have historiclly used the Major Road Maps and the county at both ends. Often I have a hard time knowing what county maps to use. I know the web sight can help but I am on the road. I have not been using the Beta, so I would load what I needed onto the Treo from the card. What I was looking for at first was tricks to finding the county I needed.

As I read this thread I get concern about the speed of the Beta program that reads from the card.

Any thoughts?

SPG
  8.    #228  
    Depending on your territory, try setting up a directory of the maps you need (if you require more detail, the county maps) in a directory called /Maps/Sales and then set this as your default directory in Mapopolis. This way, the program will look there first.

I do know there is a limit to how many maps Mapopolis will read at one go ... something like 150, I think.

Try this and see if works ...

Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG

I have used Mapopolis for some time, but not with GPS. I still do not use GPS. But I do have a Treo and a 512 SD Card. The SD card is new (had a 128 before). I am in sales, so I put a bunch of maps on the card. Started being told I could not put any more maps on. Also, when I opened Mapopolis it told me I had to many maps and only so many would show.

I thought I would make different directories for different states, but I was directed to this Thread by Mapopolis support. I have historiclly used the Major Road Maps and the county at both ends. Often I have a hard time knowing what county maps to use. I know the web sight can help but I am on the road. I have not been using the Beta, so I would load what I needed onto the Treo from the card. What I was looking for at first was tricks to finding the county I needed.

As I read this thread I get concern about the speed of the Beta program that reads from the card.

Any thoughts?

SPG
    I have been using the beta from the time I got my GPS mouse. I too have a 512 MB SD card and there is no speed problem with the program reading from the card. You really should give the beta a try. Also, there is a wealth of information about the beta at www.gpspassion.com. They have a whole forum section dedicated to Mapopolis.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG

Any thoughts?

SPG
    Yeah, having to know the county you're destination is is kind of a drag, but as far as I can tell the easiest way to do this is on Mapopolis's site, where you can enter a town name. Alternately I sometimes go on the net and google a destination state and hopefully there will be a map with counties and towns that I can just scan to see the various towns I might be in and which county maps I subsequently need to download if I need that kind of detail...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Thanks for the input. I am a basic learner and I need some help with this Directory thing.

SafeHarbor on post 136 suggested the following format in Directories on the card:

/Maps
    /Maps/GA <- counties with MRM, except for
    /Maps/GA/Metro <- which contains no maps
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Fulton <- Fulton Co Map
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Dekalb
    /Maps/GO/Metro/Cobb
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Gwinett
    /Maps/GA/MRM <- copy of major road map

So when you are in GA you would set Mapopolis for /Maps/GA. Inside that Direcotory is:

/Maps/GA/Metro <- which contains no maps
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Fulton <- Fulton Co Map
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Dekalb
    /Maps/GO/Metro/Cobb
    /Maps/GA/Metro/Gwinett
    /Maps/GA/MRM <- copy of major road map

So why have: /Maps/GA/MRM <- copy of major road map?

The MRM is in the main GA Directory? Or am I missing something?

It would be nice if Mapopolis had a search thing that could be put on the SD Card that told you what county a city was in. Does anyone know of a program that does this?

If I get thing right, the Beta programs big improvement is that it reads off the card. The down side is that it is slow because it has to look at so many maps. The way to improve the speed is to have room on the Treo so it can move over more maps at one time, and to set up a Directory system that helps Treo locate what it need faster.

Again, thanks for the help. After reading your post, I am not sure about the upgrade, but that GPS thing sounds great.

SPG
    All of my settings are correct, but I still have to delete and reinstall the app nearly every day.
    The idea of having a copy of the MRM in a separate folder is so the program can be pointed to only it. Sometimes it's useful to simply find what part of the state a city is in.

Otherwise, we are trying to move away from having to know county names. If you have, say, a folder containing all the maps of a state, and you need to set your destination to an address in a city 200 miles distant, (1) Set your search area to "Anywhere," and then do a search for "Place" with the name of your destination city. When it matches, go there. (2) Set your search radius to the minimum area you consider suitable, and search for your destination address.

This two step process of first going to the city, and then finding the address is the most efficient use of the program under open on card. (Conveniently, the find result will be saved in the Find/Favorites list.)

By the way, the program will open up to 500 maps and will attempt to cache up to 160 megabytes running in the large memory model. You can tell if it's starting in the standard mode by looking at the splash screen. The version number will contain an "L" if it's starting in the small memory mode. Treos should not show this.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    All-rightythen.

Just got back and installed the bundle from buygpsnow that included the Haicom GPS. It does indeed seem to acquire satellites quickly, although the Treo seems to be a little confused with turns right at the very beginning before the car starts moving.

Like others, I didn't find any slip for Mapopolis in the buygpsnow package, but they were very responsive and sent me an email with instructions within an hour of my note to them.

I have installed the 2.11 BETA version of Mapopolis to take advantage of the SD card placement of the files.

Here are my comments on the functionality and performance of the bundle in the 2 days I have had it:

It took a little time to get used to the interface and how to create driving directions. The find feature works in mediocre ways. It must have street by its abbreviation "ST" and that's fine I suppose as long as I know that convention. However, there is a feature to look up locations from my address book. It wouldn't find any until I changed the streets to this convention!

Also, I haven't found a way to look up an address in a zip code. Unless I want the "wait" clock to sit there, it seems like I have to search for an address in a particular zip code. This takes a couple of steps to narrow down the zip code, select it and then put the address in. This SHOULD be easier!

The spoken directions work well enough, and sound like the Intellivoice module from the 80's style Intellevision game console. I haven't figured out how to do mapopolis voice instead of the synthesized voice. I guess you don't install the pspeak.pdb? I have also seen in the gpspassion forums that other people have tweaked the mapopolis words files to have more intuitive directions.

The beta copy of mapopolis seems quite unstable. I am getting errors and frequent reboots. Depending on where I plot an address to, I am getting a couple of errors--- I just plotted a course from Forest Hills, NY to Stamford, CT and received a "211-8951" error right after mapopolis reported "Route Found"== The weird part is that I could plot the same route in reverse just fine!

The display on the Treo's screen is a bit busy, and I wish I could still get spoken directions after I press Center NAV to get the text directions off the page. In other words, I would like full map view and driving directions together.

it also seems like the Arrow that references my current location is very high on the screen. I wish it were lower so that I could see more of what roads are ahead of me. Zooming out helps that to some degree but it still seems too far "up" on the map.

Mapopolis doesn't seem to be sensitive to the difference between access/frontage roads and the actual highway. On the map, the frontage roads don't appear and it looks like I'm driving on people's lawns on the map! (reminds me of high school!)

The Treo seems a little bit slow in rendering maps and giving directions when there are several turns back-to-back. I think the Ace will fix this problem with its faster clock speed, but I WANT IT NOW!

Interfaces with traffic information systems would be sooooo cool for congestion avoidance-- I hope we see some convergence toward this soon.

Three dimensional driving views look cool, but are crowded on Treo's tiny screen.

Oh-- almost forgot- the Arkon mount DID provide me some value- I used the Arkon mounting bracket, drilled sa couple of holes in it and mated it with the ProClips Treo holder. After some messing around, it clipped neatly into my vent and is now very stable and secure, just off my 2:00 hand position by the dash/steering wheel.

People keep mentioning the forums on gpspassion for this, but I don't see many posts- are those the busiest forums? Where should I send the bug feedback=== Lamar?

This is a great solution and I can live with the bleeding edge bugs, altho I hope it stabilizes for me soon-

At least I know where I'm going, as long as I'm not in the middle of a soft reset!

P
    Phildro

Just bought the iTrek bundle myself and I've been following this thread at GPSpassion:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...?TOPIC_ID=7396

There seems to be quite busy with fairly regular input from one of the Mapopolis support guys.

There are also a load of files here, http://kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/ which include a bit of documentation and some new voice files.

Having a few problems figuring out the best directory set up for my UK maps (too much map data in a small area here!).

Mark
    A great site to find county information is http://www.city-data.com . You can get it in google by typing in the town name and state and then city data, for instance type the search chicago il city data and you'll get the city data page for that town, which gives you county information and neat stuff like nearest carrier certified airports so you'll know how to fly there and all kind of useful stuff for your trip. Then I goto mapopolis' site and view the state county map and write down all the surrounding counties. Then I drop all the counties I'm going to and all the neighboring counties into a folder called whatever trip it is and copy it to my handheld with the major road maps in ram. I just went to Ohio and it worked great

In Ohio it worked awesome. I needed to get back to the hotel, but there was mucho traffic cause John Kerry was speaking and the cops blocked off the major streets and highway. I shot down a street in the direction of the hotel for 4 or 5 blocks and told it to avoid highways and it got me back to the hotel in 5-6 minutes when I would have been waiting at least half an hour. (just remember to highways back on when you start back up again). Another great thing about it is you always know how long to your destination. There were 4 other people in the car and knowing how far away we were helped there mood and morale I think I'm curious as to how it calculates how long it will take you to get to a destination though. Does it use speed limits?

I once again had trouble routing myself around construction as the chicago skyway was once again blocked up. I wish I could set it to avoid major roads and highways for a specific number of miles that would help a lot. When I set it to avoid major roads and highways, it recalculated 100 miles of my journey when all I wanted to do was avoid a certain section of road. Recalculating side streets for 100 miles of journey took forever. My theory that I will test next time is to pick a point on the map that you think is beyond the blockage and set it to that point with avoid major streets and highways. Then when you get beyond the construction recalculate your route to destination with highways back on. Any one else have any ideas?
    Hi, Phildro,

Feel free to send your bug reports to support@mapopolis.com. I hear that guy Lamar really enjoys getting them.

You can also follow along with the beta at that link at gpspassion.com above.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I'm currently on vacation here in Raleigh Durham, and using Mapopolis and the Haikom pretty successfully. For some reason I couldn't locate the Cat's Cradle, except by the actual address, but my hotel and a restaurant came up fine.

My one issue so far, which is minor but an annoying one is this: as I go down roads here it is constantly telling me that there is a "slight turn left" or "slight turn right." Sometimes it'll be a few miles, sometimes every 1/5 of a mile. These aren't turns, I don't know what they are exactly, but I'm just supposed to keep going streight, and yet it keeps warning me about a slight turn. What's up with that? Is this some setting that I don't have set right? I'm working of a folder that contains both the MRM's and the county map. Is it something about how navigation works? I just don't remember it doing this back home in Northern VA...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I once again had trouble routing myself around construction as the chicago skyway was once again blocked up. I wish I could set it to avoid major roads and highways for a specific number of miles that would help a lot. When I set it to avoid major roads and highways, it recalculated 100 miles of my journey when all I wanted to do was avoid a certain section of road. Recalculating side streets for 100 miles of journey took forever. My theory that I will test next time is to pick a point on the map that you think is beyond the blockage and set it to that point with avoid major streets and highways. Then when you get beyond the construction recalculate your route to destination with highways back on. Any one else have any ideas?
    Hi, 155,

If you have an idea of which way you need to go to avoid obstructions, do a find and pick a road you want to route through or a point on the map that you can tap to bypass the area you wish to avoid. This point will be added to your transient Find/Favorites list. If you then do another find for your real destination, it, too, will be saved to the list.

Then set up your navigation from your current GPS to the first point that you want by choosing "On Map," tapping on the Find/Favorites icon (downward chevron) and selecting that road or address from the list. It should not require a lengthy calculation to generate this route. When you arrive there, you can repeat the process for your real destination, again picking it out of the Find/Favorites list. This might take a while if involves a 100-mile route, but if it takes a painful while, that indicates that you could probably improve your map management on the card.

Look back in this thread and find the example about using nested folders to control the area loaded around the metro Atlanta area. It will have a similar benefit around even more crowded metro areas, too.
    Thank You SafeHarbor, that's a rather efficient way to route yourself around an obstacle. I bet I could even use a couple points to do that

I use a folder strategy, but it's a lot of side streets to get from Northern Indiana through Chicago all the way to the Northern Suburbs.

Your product is really awesome. I think all the people in the car who rode with me (2 of them also use palms) wanna buy it now