Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Hi all --

Reading about this combo, I have to say that I'm a bit intrigued. Personally, I like the ability to swap maps in and out as necessary. Currently, I have a Garmin GPS V unit - which only has 19mb of RAM, so you have to pull down just the areas that you know you'll be driving in frequenly with a custom serial cable. It was fine in 2002 when I bought it, but now it's just kinda a pain in the ***.

However - there are a number of features of the Garmin unit that I find quite useful, and I'm wondering how well they're replicated (if at all?) on this bundle:

1) Automatic detouring. If a traffic jam pops up, I can simply tell the GPS V to "Detour" for the next "half mile", "mile", "two miles" etc. and it will plot a route to get me off of that road and onto my next destination. Granted, it's not often I have to use it -- but when I do it's a lifesaver.

2) ETA at destination. I use this one all the time. Based on the amount of the trip left, the current time of day, the speed of the road ahead of me, etc. the GPS V can accurately plot (assuming no traffic or red lights) the exact time I'll be arriving at my destination. This is a huge benefit when calling clients to know roughly when I'll be arriving.

3) Points-of-interest. How good is the DB? The search feature? Currently, I can simply ask the GPS V to find any and all hotels/restaurants/gas/ATMs closest to where I am currently at - and it will search the DB and come up with a list sorted based on distance. It's helped me find gas on more than one occasion! I'm sure this combo must have POI info -- but how good is it, and how well is it implemented?

Overall - I like the color maps, the better map detail, the promise of voice-spoken directions. And hey, if I can sell my GPS V on eBay, I could actually make a couple bucks by trading to this system. But these features are definitely important to me so I'm curious how well they're handled.

Thanks in advance!!
    Toomer
    You should be very happy with it. It's got all that automatic detouring, eta to destination, and POI. If you just had 19mb before then you'll be ultra happy with this and a big sd card
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoombs
    Hi all --

Reading about this combo, I have to say that I'm a bit intrigued. Personally, I like the ability to swap maps in and out as necessary. Currently, I have a Garmin GPS V unit - which only has 19mb of RAM, so you have to pull down just the areas that you know you'll be driving in frequenly with a custom serial cable. It was fine in 2002 when I bought it, but now it's just kinda a pain in the ***.
    The great thing about this unit is that you are not constrained by your RAM. You can load the maps you want onto an SD card and the program will use the maps you need flawlessly. Heck, you could fill up a 512MB SD card with maps and pretty much be set, regardless or where you wanted to go, I think. You don't even see a blip in the program when you move from one map to the next one. This being said, members on this board have discovered that the more RAM you have available, the faster the route generation will be.

However - there are a number of features of the Garmin unit that I find quite useful, and I'm wondering how well they're replicated (if at all?) on this bundle:
    Let's take a look ...

1) Automatic detouring. If a traffic jam pops up, I can simply tell the GPS V to "Detour" for the next "half mile", "mile", "two miles" etc. and it will plot a route to get me off of that road and onto my next destination. Granted, it's not often I have to use it -- but when I do it's a lifesaver.
    You don't have to tell Mapopolis anything. When you deviate from your route it automatically reroutes you within a few seconds. I was stopped on I79 in WV and made a u-turn and headed out a different way and the program re-routed me very quickly. BTW, the scenery was spectacular!

2) ETA at destination. I use this one all the time. Based on the amount of the trip left, the current time of day, the speed of the road ahead of me, etc. the GPS V can accurately plot (assuming no traffic or red lights) the exact time I'll be arriving at my destination. This is a huge benefit when calling clients to know roughly when I'll be arriving.
    Once you have a route generated, the Navigation Pane will display the distance to your next instruction and the eta. When your route is first generated, you will have an eta for the entire trip displayed. And it is very accurate, ime.

3) Points-of-interest. How good is the DB? The search feature? Currently, I can simply ask the GPS V to find any and all hotels/restaurants/gas/ATMs closest to where I am currently at - and it will search the DB and come up with a list sorted based on distance. It's helped me find gas on more than one occasion! I'm sure this combo must have POI info -- but how good is it, and how well is it implemented?
    You can have Mapopolis find a location by place name. For example, Ft. Lauderdale Airport, etc. and it will allow you to select and use this as a destination. It seems to have a tie to a phone directory. I wanted to see if my bank was on the system, I typed in the name of the bank and all of the bank branch locations popped up on the find screen and all I had to do was select the one I wanted.

I have used my Mapopolis/GPS quite a bit since purchasing at the beginning of the month. Usually, when I'm in the car, it's on. Can't debate the WOW factor either. Oh, size wise, you WILL be happy that your gps is not huge ... plus, for security sake, you just pop it out of the phone mount and take it with you.

Hope this helped ... Tom
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Thanks 155 ...

Another question - and this has me a bit worried as well - are all the maps available from Mapopolis routable maps? Downloading the trial, I noticed the following (emphasis added)....

Map for Palm OS Price Size Application
    DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DC Platinum Map ND 9.95 1151K Add to Cart Navigator 1
    DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DC Demo Map ND 0.0 1151K Download Map Navigator 1
    So, it looks like the "real" map for Washington, DC is a "Platinum" map .... however ....

Platinum maps do not support GPS devices. Door-to-door driving directions are generated but no automatic visual or spoken prompts are generated.
    Does something come different with the bundle? Like a full set of Navigator maps for all areas??
    Toomer
  5.    #205  
    Thanks 155 ...

Another question - and this has me a bit worried as well - are all the maps available from Mapopolis routable maps? Downloading the trial, I noticed the following (emphasis added)....

So, it looks like the "real" map for Washington, DC is a "Platinum" map .... however ....

Does something come different with the bundle? Like a full set of Navigator maps for all areas??
    Don't bother with the Platinum maps ... get the Navigator ... it's the one you want for GPS enabled systems since it uses VOICE PROMPTS on your treo 600. Platinum maps give you door to door, no voice. Platinum with GPS gives you GPS integration, no voice. At least I think that's the difference.

Demo maps just let you try before you buy. Check out the Navigator section (all US and Canada by major roads and/or county).

Thanks Tom -- that definitely helps!

Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    You don't have to tell Mapopolis anything. When you deviate from your route it automatically reroutes you within a few seconds. I was stopped on I79 in WV and made a u-turn and headed out a different way and the program re-routed me very quickly.
    Yeah, the GPS V does this as well. It's great for when I'm heading into downtown DC and I hit some sort of demonstration, protest, etc. and there are streets blocked off. I just follow the detours they've plotted, and the GPS V will keep re-routing me as best it can with every turn I'm forced to make.

I was thinking more specifically like a detour as a way to say "do not use this road for the next xx miles". For instance, when coming up I-95 back to DC we hit a big traffic jam. Heard on the radio that traffic was backed up for over 5 miles. We told the GPS V to "detour" for five miles .... and it got us off I-95 and around the mess.

If I had relied on the typical "you're off-route!" response, it'd keep trying to route me back towards I-95 every chance it got ... because technically that was the fastest route.

Handy feature, no doubt. But one that I can probably live without.

You can have Mapopolis find a location by place name. For example, Ft. Lauderdale Airport, etc. and it will allow you to select and use this as a destination. It seems to have a tie to a phone directory. I wanted to see if my bank was on the system, I typed in the name of the bank and all of the bank branch locations popped up on the find screen and all I had to do was select the one I wanted.
    Sounds good. Looks like it does a "By Name" search, which the GPS V has. Sounds like it doesn't have the "By Distance" search, though, which lets me basically ask "find nearest gas station" and it will figure it out.

Thanks!!
    Toomer
    No, the platinum maps are not navigatable. When you get the combo and you get a mappack that you could also buy for $99 bucks valid for one year.

You will download the navigator maps, but if you wanted you can also download the platinum maps, which aren't navigable. I think you just can't buy navigator maps for DC in seperate from the mappack for 10 bucks like the platinum. The navigator maps do show up when you have a mappack though. When I logged in it showed up and was the same size so you don't have to worry about it being bigger

Does anyone know how to organize there sd card. I was trying to create folders on it, but couldn't figure out what program to use. If anyone has any recommendations on what to use, I would appreciate it. I don't have a direct sd card reader
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Does anyone know how to organize there sd card. I was trying to create folders on it, but couldn't figure out what program to use. If anyone has any recommendations on what to use, I would appreciate it. I don't have a direct sd card reader
    I can just let you know how I did it. BTW, go to Circuit City and get a card reader. They are only about $20 and you will be way happier with it ... if you don't, then you have to hot sync maps over and that can take FOREVER. After your first sync with maps, trust me, you get the card. So much easier to drag and drop from your desktop.

On root directory of my SD card, I set up a directory called /Maps (do just like this, caps and all).

Then I set up state directories in this one with the maps I wanted/needed. For example:

/Maps/FL

And just copied my maps from my desktop to the appropriate directory.

9.    #209  
    Thanks Tom -- that definitely helps!

Yeah, the GPS V does this as well. It's great for when I'm heading into downtown DC and I hit some sort of demonstration, protest, etc. and there are streets blocked off. I just follow the detours they've plotted, and the GPS V will keep re-routing me as best it can with every turn I'm forced to make.

I was thinking more specifically like a detour as a way to say "do not use this road for the next xx miles". For instance, when coming up I-95 back to DC we hit a big traffic jam. Heard on the radio that traffic was backed up for over 5 miles. We told the GPS V to "detour" for five miles .... and it got us off I-95 and around the mess.

If I had relied on the typical "you're off-route!" response, it'd keep trying to route me back towards I-95 every chance it got ... because technically that was the fastest route.
    Mapopolis will NOT automatically route you back to where you encountered the problem. It will plot a NEW route.

Having lived in the DC area for more than five years (moved to FL in 1988), I feel your pain. As bad as traffic was then, I can't begin to imagine how bad it is now!

Mapopolis will NOT automatically route you back to where you encountered the problem. It will plot a NEW route.
    This isn't exactly true. The other day, I needed to take a detour around the Chicago Skyway, because it was under construction and everytime I passed another street it kept telling me to get back onto the skyway, which was blocked off from the beginning. It was extremely annoying. Is there any setting or button that would have fixed this?

Thanks for the tip, I'm leaving for Ohio very shortly, so I think I'll copy my directories to a cd and sneak into an office where the computer has an sd slot
  11.    #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    This isn't exactly true. The other day, I needed to take a detour around the Chicago Skyway, because it was under construction and everytime I passed another street it kept telling me to get back onto the skyway, which was blocked off from the beginning. It was extremely annoying. Is there any setting or button that would have fixed this?

Thanks for the tip, I'm leaving for Ohio very shortly, so I think I'll copy my directories to a cd and sneak into an office where the computer has an sd slot
    Select Avoid Highways in the settings menu and that should help. When got off I79 in my example above, this program did not attempt to get me back on until I was past whatever happened ... but, perhaps I was just lucky.

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, well, I'm finally starting to understand the whole map methodology a little better now, but I still feel like I have a lot to learn, even after playing with different configurations, rereading this whole thread, and some on gpspassion. Initially, I loaded ALL the counties in a bunch of states (VA, MD, DE, NY, NJ, PA, NC, DC) in addition to all the major road maps for every state in the country. How naive I was! I kept "downsizing" but still ended up with incredibly long waits because I still had major road maps and all counties in VA, MD, NC, and DC*. Finally I got a clue and just have the county I live and work in, and the counties that I know people in the DC Metro area(5 or so counties, 3 cities), plus the counties we'll be staying at in NC on our trip next week (which amounts to just 3 or 4). This cuts the time down to at least something bareable. Now when I plot a trip from home to work or visa versa (both in the same county in VA), it only takes 1-2 minutes. Then I tried just setting Mapopolis to look in my VA folder and this cut the time a lot more - down to about 30 seconds. Having the county map and the VA major roads map in memory instead of on the card doesn't seem to help that much, maybe an additional 5 seconds or 15%.

So, what I am starting to think is that one should have lots of folders for different uses. Maybe one for every potential trip you take that just includes your beginning destination county, end destination county and major state roads in between. Then maybe a folder for each "destination." So say I go on vacation somewhere and know that once I get there, I'll probably only be driving around 2 or 3 counties while I'm there, then I could just load those counties and the state's major roads map into that folder. Since I live in the DC Metro area, I figure instead of having different folders for different states, I could have a folder tree like the following:

/Maps
    /Maps/Local
    /Maps/Local/VA
    /Maps/Locals/VA/Fairfax
    /Maps/Local/MD
    /Maps/Local/DC

I guess since I still have a lot of space, I could also have a non-local folder where I could keep various state-level maps in the states around me that I do not EXPECT to be doing, but would be nice to at least have the ability to see what major roads I'm on just in case I end up somewhere I didn't expect...

I just wish it didn't take all this THINKING and one could just load all the maps in the region to the county level, but I guess the Treo does not have a fast enough processor or enough memory to deal with all this. Don't get me wrong, it was fun figuring this stuff out on one level, but I also have lots of other things to do for my trip! Guess I should have gotten off my **** and bought this thing a week or two ago when I first saw the thread!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Select Avoid Highways in the settings menu and that should help. When got off I79 in my example above, this program did not attempt to get me back on until I was past whatever happened ... but, perhaps I was just lucky.
    You could select Avoid Highways, but you want to get back on the highway after the detour. I think the only real solution is to turn the thing off until you get past the detour in this instance it chirped at me a bunch of times, since it won't take you back to the same enterance you avoided, but it will take you to another entrance and if you're in a dense city like Chicago where they have entrances two to three per mile it'll be telling you to turn back on the closed road all the time.

I am really happy with it though and highly recommend it. This was just one bad experience during construction. It's really a minor con. I use the thing every day for work traveling to job sites I don't know and it has worked well every other time

Version 2.10 is even better
    Get a program called 'filez'. It is freeware and you can create directories, delete directories, move files delete files etc from both the SD card and the Palm RAM. I use it all the time to create different region folders for my maps. Its like a proper file/directory manager for the palm. By the way im using it on my Treo 600
    Hi, all,

This beta is to address the 210-1101 errors that folks were getting when attempting to navigate from current GPS position.

We also found out what's causing the Address Book crashes. If you create a two part when setting a Geomark, like "Hotel Verona" and then save it, it will produce a crash when you try to edit it later in Adress Book. The workaround for the time being is to be sure you put something in the second line before setting the Geomark.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlad0407
    Get a program called 'filez'. It is freeware and you can create directories, delete directories, move files delete files etc from both the SD card and the Palm RAM. I use it all the time to create different region folders for my maps. Its like a proper file/directory manager for the palm. By the way im using it on my Treo 600
    Also, a program called Card Export works really well. It lets you use your Treo's SD card as a removable Windows drive.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quick question. If I want to use my GPS do navigate from home to work and it's all within the same county, is there any reason for me to load the major state roads map or is everything it contains already contained within the county map?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

18.    #218  
    Just load the county map as it has almost all the roads on it. The mrm only has major roads.

Well after downloading some of the sample UK maps I've decided to order my very own iTrek bundle from Semsons.

Has anyone here actually used this setup in Europe?
    Card Export is working awesome