Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    The Mapping Program is the part you download to your Treo - this is software. And yes the maps can be stored on the SD card with the latest beta of Mapopolis, this is what the hub bub is about.

To use GPS mapping, you also need a GPS receiver that hooks to your Treo, this is hardware and an actual physical device, not something you download.
    Pete
    I just returned from VT and I was very happy with the device. Thanks to everyonre for the card file management advice. A couple of things. The address I was going to was not found when generating routes, but was clearly displayed when I arrived. At some points it would be one of the choices in the drop down screen, but a route still could not be gnerated to it, even when I was a mile away. I think silverado had a similar experience. I don't know if that is a Mapopolis issue or Navtek, I suspect Navtek. Also, at night the treo 600 was blinding me. Is there an easy way to dim the screen, on the fly so to speak? That would be a great feature to have right on the Mapopolis settings screen or with a keypad button on the treo.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0306
    snip...Also, at night the treo 600 was blinding me. Is there an easy way to dim the screen, on the fly so to speak? That would be a great feature to have right on the Mapopolis settings screen or with a keypad button on the treo.
    Under settings->display there is a default colors, and there are a bunch of options, two of which are something like 'default day colors' and 'default night colors'. The night one changes the normally white background to black. It becomes very usable at this setting.
  4.    #184  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0306
    I just returned from VT and I was very happy with the device. Thanks to everyonre for the card file management advice. A couple of things. The address I was going to was not found when generating routes, but was clearly displayed when I arrived. At some points it would be one of the choices in the drop down screen, but a route still could not be gnerated to it, even when I was a mile away. I think silverado had a similar experience. I don't know if that is a Mapopolis issue or Navtek, I suspect Navtek. Also, at night the treo 600 was blinding me. Is there an easy way to dim the screen, on the fly so to speak? That would be a great feature to have right on the Mapopolis settings screen or with a keypad button on the treo.
    I use Profiles (a free download) to manage this very easily. I have a profile labelled Car @ Night that changes the colors and brightness of the treo, and brings it pretty much to the same brightness of my dashboard lights ... That reminds me of a song ... never mind
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Ok - need help. Going to buy today but I need to know which unit to get:

http://www.semsons.com/itmousgpswma.html

or

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=217

Saw both listed here - and they both seem to work well. Which one do people like better - or which one is faster / more functional? Also a big plus is the Bluetooth charger ( http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar.html ) which will work for the Ace when it comes out. Please respond quickly.. so I can buy I have a trip to take on Thursday, and I'm going to express ship the stuff... Thanks!
    Last edited by cue79; 07/26/2004 at 01:10 PM.
  6.    #186  
    I bought and use the iTrek mouse and am extremely happy with it. Locks on quickly and is very accurate.

Both the Haicom and iTrek use the same chipset, I believe. If you need waterproof, go with the Haicom. I really enjoy the iTrek and recommend without reservation.

I bought from semsons and they were quick, accurate and responsive. Had my unit 2 days from when I placed my order ... and paid nothing in extra shipping for fast delivery.

My .02, good luck and happy navigating.

I concur with tjd414.
    If you need it for a trip Thursday I would recommend over night shipping. Semsons is fast, but it was my experience that it was better to play around with the device for a day or 2 to get more comfortable with it. Also a card reader make life a lot easier when organizing your maps.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    The Itrek it is! Ordering it now with Overnite Shipping.. I'm gonna get shot for this

So I'm toying with Mapopolis now - is there any way to make the voice prompts happen? Also, am I better off freeing room up for PSpeak, or just stick with the little 300 Kbs file?
    Last edited by cue79; 07/26/2004 at 02:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone
    I reset my Treo using the up arrow so as not to have an 3rd party sorfware running. I can use Mapopolis and it works as others have stated. If I try to make a call get the stanard message saying the wireless is not on. When I try to turn it on (using software or the hard button) nothing happens.
    After reading the documentation I found out that this is how it is suppose to work.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Guys, I ordered the Haicom/Mapopolis bundle from BuyGPSNow.com and it arrived today, plugged it in and it worked fine with my trial map of my county.

HOWEVER, there was no information referring to the Mapopolis subscription that is supposed to come with the package. Nothing in the box, and I don't see a reference in any email I got from them nor on my electronic invoice when I log into my account. Can someone who purchased this package let me know how they got their subscription info? I really want to start downloading maps since I'm going to be leaving on a big trip (vacation to NC) on Saturday. Thanks!
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Guys, I ordered the Haicom/Mapopolis bundle from BuyGPSNow.com and it arrived today, plugged it in and it worked fine with my trial map of my county.

HOWEVER, there was no information referring to the Mapopolis subscription that is supposed to come with the package. Nothing in the box, and I don't see a reference in any email I got from them nor on my electronic invoice when I log into my account. Can someone who purchased this package let me know how they got their subscription info? I really want to start downloading maps since I'm going to be leaving on a big trip (vacation to NC) on Saturday. Thanks!
    Check any info you received with your package. My access code was on a small slip of paper. I sent an email to both Semsons and Mapopolis and before they got back to me (within about an hour) I found it in the box.

Doublecheck one more time and then fire off the email ...

13.    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79
    The Itrek it is! Ordering it now with Overnite Shipping.. I'm gonna get shot for this

So I'm toying with Mapopolis now - is there any way to make the voice prompts happen? Also, am I better off freeing room up for PSpeak, or just stick with the little 300 Kbs file?
    I thought Pspeak was pretty cool since it actually read the street names out to you. But the synthesized voice just wan't my cup of tea. So I use Mapopolis Words and it is significantly smaller in size.

Once you tell Mapopolis to generate your route for you, the voice prompts will come automatically. The nav pane enables the promts and gives the eta and distance to the next instruction. To toggle it on and off, just use the center button on the five way.

PS -- check your pm's.

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts

I got mine e-mailed to me the day the package arrived. It seemed to have been triggered by the Fed Ex automated e-mail I got that says the package was delivered. I figured that buygpsnow.com gets the same delivery notice and that triggers the e-mail of the unlock code with instructions on how to use it. Have you gotten that e-mail yet? If not, I would definitely contact them.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Haven't gotten any email aside from the Fedex notification and there was no paper other than the instructions and warranty stuff. I sent a message off, but looks like they are not going to be answering it until at least tomorrow morning, ow well....
    Last edited by dvdmon; 07/27/2004 at 07:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Haven't gotten any email aside from the Fedex notification and there was no paper other than the instructions and warranty stuff. I sent a message off, but looks like they are not going to be answering it until at least tomorrow morning, ow well...
    Well, at least you can use the demo maps until you get the code. I have found that buygpsnow.com is pretty responsive to e-mails, so hopefully you will hear soon.
    Jeff
    beta version 2.10 is out and works fine with my 600 gsm/haicom gps.

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    Well, at least you can use the demo maps until you get the code. I have found that buygpsnow.com is pretty responsive to e-mails, so hopefully you will hear soon.
    Well, they've been open for over three hours and still no response. Just sent a second email. As for trial maps, is the only difference that they expire? How long do they last? If it's a couple of weeks I could download them now and would have them accessible through the end of my trip... Also, I thought I read mentions of state maps or major highway maps, but the only maps I see I can download from mapopolis are county maps. I live and work in Fairfax county, VA, and when I plotted a course to work and started driving, it would not refer to rt 66 ast rt 66 or 495 as 495, but rather referred to 66 as "To Washington" and 495 as "To Richmond" which what's on the sign as far as the direction, but I just thought it was odd that it didn't mention the highway number...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Well, they've been open for over three hours and still no response. Just sent a second email. As for trial maps, is the only difference that they expire? How long do they last? If it's a couple of weeks I could download them now and would have them accessible through the end of my trip... Also, I thought I read mentions of state maps or major highway maps, but the only maps I see I can download from mapopolis are county maps. I live and work in Fairfax county, VA, and when I plotted a course to work and started driving, it would not refer to rt 66 ast rt 66 or 495 as 495, but rather referred to 66 as "To Washington" and 495 as "To Richmond" which what's on the sign as far as the direction, but I just thought it was odd that it didn't mention the highway number...
    Well, I would hope that they will answer you before you leave on Saturday. I had found that they would answer between 24 and 48 hours, so there is still hope. I believe the demo maps are the same, but I think they expire in 9 days. The major road maps are not available for demo, but will show up when you sign into Mapopolis with your coupon code. As for 495 and 66, that is weird. The one time I used a highway (I only have mine for a few days as well) it did use the name and the number (but the generated voice only said the number of the highway) and I only have the counties loaded.

Keep us posted,
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks, just wanted to let you know that they finally got back to me after I left work today - got an email from them after I got home. Now I'm in the process of loading maps. I think probably it didn't say the route numbers because that info might be in the state major roads file. I'll try it tomorrow now that that is loaded and see how it works. It is a little disheartening that I can't get county-level maps of the whole country on my 512MB SD card Now if only they would hurry up and get those 2GB SD card, or better yet some 4GB cards
    Twitter: @dvdmon