Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yahoo has changed their protocol to block third party IM clients. This has stopped GAIM, Chatter, Trillian, and even Yahoo's own Linux client.

http://news.com.com/Yahoo+to+Trillia...l?tag=nefd.top

I expect this has stopped Verichat access to Y! also. Can anyone confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Yahoo has changed their protocol to block third party IM clients. This has stopped GAIM, Chatter, Trillian, and even Yahoo's own Linux client.

http://news.com.com/Yahoo+to+Trillia...l?tag=nefd.top

I expect this has stopped Verichat access to Y! also. Can anyone confirm?

this is why I cant connect with trillian.

just tried with vericaht and the same thing. no connect.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Folks using Yahoo via Chatter or Verichat should probably expect significant downtime (days, anyway).

Marc

p.s. Chatter, Verichat, and Trillian use the same "core" code for talking to Yahoo.
    Last edited by Chatter; 06/23/2004 at 09:37 PM. Reason: update
    I will never, ever use Yahoo Messenger again. When they make a viable client for the Treo they should worry about 3rd party apps.

Morons.
    yes indeed - this shows the value of these forums - as soon as I had 3 unsuccessful attempts to login to Y! Messenger via Verichat, I instantly came over to this forum. Sure enough - the story is right here. Way to go TC! You/we rock!!
    no go with the connection to yahoo im
    zero over here on trillian.....
    Trillian's working again with a patch it alerts you to when you sign on. Please, everyone else, follow suit. And Yahoo!, umm, buy a clue.
    has anyone ever got spimmed with yahoo?

the only spimm i seem to get is my ICQ account and the was a while ago.
    Felipe
    i have not got any spim from IM at all
    I still cannot log on Yahoo on Verichat. Is this gonna be fixed any time soon? Anyone else has the same problem? Thanks
  12.    #12  
    the trillian people have passed the patch information on to the gaim, jabber people i think

this should result in a fix for verichat and chatter "pretty soon"
    Quote Originally Posted by alexiou
    I still cannot log on Yahoo on Verichat. Is this gonna be fixed any time soon? Anyone else has the same problem? Thanks
    u will have to wait until verichat updates their software.
    Felipe
    Y! works now. All good, and just in time for the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Y! works now. All good, and just in time for the weekend.

yes it does. I guess they did it at the server.
    Felipe
    This is why I never got into chat/IM. There are different standards and everyone F*&Ks around with keeping other IM clients off their network. When IM becomes like Email I might consider partaking. Until then, I am like an old fart Internet dude who says:
    <complaining old guy vioce>
    "In my day, we used Email and it was fine.. we didn't need any of that fancy shmancy IM crap. If someone needs you that quickly, they should call or send an SMS. If it's not important then send a dammed Email and I'll answer when I'm dammed good and ready."
    </complaining old guy vioce>
    Answer is, choose one.

a. Old Timers Disease
    b. Functionally Illiterate
    c. Technically Impaired
    d. CRS
    e. All of the above
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Honestly what I don't understand is what's the big freakin deal to block out other IM programs? I mean it's obviously easy to get them to all work together as a few companies have. Why wouldn't AOL or Yahoo or MSN not want to be open to another IM program. People have friends with different tastes. Some pay for MSN for internet access so it's easier for them to just use msn for im just like some people have aol and it's easier for them to use AIM. Those people are going to use what is built into whatever they use for internet becuase it's easy. Why not just open the im world to everyone and then actually focus on making your version of IM more appealing to a user. I dont know what features you could have over someone else, I mean maybe it just looks cooler or something. People will then those which IM company they will use by quality. It's just stupid these dumbass people running the companies are not in touch with the people who use thier products. They might actually learn something if they asked a question.
    it is about money.

IM software, for the most part is free. the companies that give the software make their money selling advertising. The more ppl who use one im client, the more that company can charge for ads.

and how do you get more users on your system? make sure there is only one way to contact users on their system.
    Felipe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast