Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering which is the best out there right now with several to choose from? Naturally free is appealing and I'm using SoundRec now. My problem is I've loaded my Treo is so many apps that I only have 2mg free. A few voice messages and I run out of room causing a reset. Is there a voice recorder out there that doesn't use much memory for the recordings?

The easy answer is just use the SD card but I've been having trouble getting SoundRec to work well saving message directly to the card.
    SoundRec saves to the card pretty well, but the speed of your card may be a limiting factor. I've notice that my 512 card has "slowed down" now that it's loaded with 400+ MB of stuff.

Best bet is to spend $12 on ZLauncher (or a similar amount of $ on LauncherX or any of the other cool launchers out there) which will facilitate you moving most of your programs to your card. I've got lots of stuff installed, but still manage to have 15+ MB free in main memory, which allows me to do tons of SoundRec audio recording as well as a 25 or so second video recording using MovieRec.

Same topic, another thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52773
    Last edited by ericdfairchild; 06/23/2004 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added more detail
    It didn't work for me at all. So, I tried and purchased www.toysoft.ca application, Personal Audio Recorder 1.1 - it works well for me in main memory and just so-so on the SD card, a 512mb card.

Ben
    I've tried SoundRec, Personal Audio Recorder, and finally the latest- mVoice. So far, I find the mVoice to be better when it comes to directly recording to the SD card.

If there are other people out there that share this same observation, I think I will go ahead with the mVoice. Recording to the internal memory is not a good option for my needs. This is why I still carry my Olympus voice recorder
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I found that PAR was better than SoundRec for recording direct and play back direct from a card, plus I liked the interface. Funny that as I find MovieRec has a better interface than Live!.

mVoice seems to work OK, but until I'm forced to buy something I will keep all 3 on the Treo, but at the moment my money is on PAR.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I like the Audacity, you can record to the sd or ram. If you have Card Export or an SD card reader you can move the sound file to your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tymerock
    I like the Audacity, you can record to the sd or ram. If you have Card Export or an SD card reader you can move the sound file to your computer.

Personal Audio Recorder 1.2 has been released. New feature includes AES256bits encryption, add note to voice memos.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    PAR rules! More features than all others, nice GUI, and pretty cheap to buy. I have just upgraded to the latest version 1.2 today.

Love it because it allows me to do ALL of the following:

1. Start recording from ANYWHERE by assigning a hot-key. Just grab your Treo, press a key and you are all set!
    2. Straight-forward selection of file destination (RAM or card) and super-simple transfer from RAM to card.
    3. Ability to add a note/memo to each recorded file.
    4. Encryption of files (this can be especially important depending on what you are recording -- Remember: SD cards can fall off your Treo and anyone can listen to your recordings using a card reader).

I have been extremely satisfied with PAR, and I recommend it to everybody.
    I installed and played with PAR 1.2 today and really enjoyed it. Not a crash at all. I like the password security feature - easy to maneuver around. The encrpyption has not caused any problems. The ability to go from ram to SD and back and move and all that is much better than the first release. I use Quick Launch and in the preferences there is a check box "Auto record on button pressed" and a down arrow - select whatever to do the auto record and it instead launches the pre-assigned application. It relies heavily on icons instead of drop-down, which on my Treo 600 makes it a bit tight, but not quite cluttered. Anyway, it has been very stable for me today. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by smiley88
    Personal Audio Recorder 1.2 has been released. New feature includes AES256bits encryption, add note to voice memos.
    Ben,
    I have elsewhere raised a question about mVoice. It supposedly has a great feature (SEND) that gives it an edge over SoundRec. But on my Treo 600, when I try to use it (DEMO version so far) it crashes the Treo! Every time!

So unless someone can explain why this happens or the developer gives us a new upgrade I sure won't spend the $25 for it over SoundRec.

Anybody else having this trouble with it?
    Jim
    Jim
    i tried m voice and i like the features but i have the same problem crashes my treo every time i try to send.Cannot see spending 25 dollars when sound rec does the same thing for free. Rather make a donation to Ryan and let him develop a send feature
    Thanks for confirming the SEND problem!

Maybe 1.1 will fix it...meanwhile back to Soundrec
    Jim
    When I tried SoundRec the crash problem did not happen - I just could not understand the file that was played back - it was garbled from the card and main memory, though main memory was not quite as bad - not acceptable though. PAR 1.2 has been fun to play with, though I no longer use the hard key start option - it interfers with the other programs I use and the launcher (Co-Launcher). Other complaints - none at all. I like the pop-out option, that comes in handy.

Ben
    I downloaded and installed mVoice today. I had already done the Treo Updater (I'm a sprint user). Any recording I create in mVoice, when played back, has no sound.

I've checked the basics like making sure that the Updater had been done, which it had. I also checked volume on the device and the app.

Further, when I tried to e-mail a sound file my Treo rebooted. I'm out $24.99 and totally frustrated. :-(
    Do any of these voice recorders intend on adding an alarm feature? It seems like a glaring omision to these apps. Sometimes you want to remember to pick something up on the way home, and it would be nice to record a quick memo then have the app alarm you and prompt you to play the voice memo. It's quicker then going to the date book and filling out an entry then setting an alarm. Thats worth paying $15-30 dollars for.
    Alarms are on ryans list of todos in sound rec. which for me works the best

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by geekmom
    Further, when I tried to e-mail a sound file my Treo rebooted. I'm out $24.99 and totally frustrated. :-(

Hi Geekmom

I can confirm that mVoice works OK on my Orange GSM updated phone, I know that will not help you, but at least you know the program works

OK, have you tried downloading some of the other sound recording apps.

Try SoundRec 1.05, it's free.

Do they work for you ?

If not then it's your Treo that is causing the problem.

If they do work then either it's a clash with another app on your Treo, or it's a sprint thing, which I doubt as others would have reported it by now.

Hope this works, it's just a case of trying all the options

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Thanks for the thoughts Chas! I will give SoundRec 1.05 a try!
    i use sounfrec its the best IMHO and its FREE you cant get much better
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Hello All,
    I finally took the plunge and updated my Treo so that I can now use a sound recorder. From the posts so far, it seems that using SoundRec may be the best choice.

Now, I throw another question into the fray. I do a lot of recording of samples of people's voices. To get a better recording, I'd like to use a microphone. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing my seido headset microphone would work with a sound recorder. However, is there some type of adapter that I could use which would allow me to hook a hand-held microphone to my Treo and use it?

THAT would be utopia for my treo usage.

Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast