Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by atremorer
    Hello All,
    I finally took the plunge and updated my Treo so that I can now use a sound recorder. From the posts so far, it seems that using SoundRec may be the best choice.

Now, I throw another question into the fray. I do a lot of recording of samples of people's voices. To get a better recording, I'd like to use a microphone. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing my seido headset microphone would work with a sound recorder. However, is there some type of adapter that I could use which would allow me to hook a hand-held microphone to my Treo and use it?

THAT would be utopia for my treo usage.

Michael
    best choice because its FREE or did compare the features, easy of use and stability?
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    It is very stable, in fact his software is more stable than the Toysoft products I have tried (I have tried Live! twice and find it ver unstable).... Feature wise as others have said before the one-button-recording is true one button recording and just works more like I would expect. Also has all the features I need and yes it is FREE but donating a few dollars is an option I like to have as he deserves it
    I said it seemed the "Best choice" from examining all the postings. More people seemed to recommend it/have less problems with it.

Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    The best one by far is Audacity. It has the alarm built in that someone mentioned and also allows you to use an external mic that someone mentioned. Very stable. I tried several and this is the best.
    I just completed an evaluation of all the Treo 600 voice recorders that I could find (five) of them. I posted it under a separate thread after I saw this thread. Please read and comment. Audacity won hands down. The thread is Evaluation of Five Voice Recorders.
    With Audacity you can use an external Mic. If you record at PCM 16 kHz, it gives you an incredibly good record quality. Also, someone mentioned adding an alarm feature. Audacity Personal has that built in.
    Thanks for the info.

I am using the SoundRec 1.051 (free) from www.infinityball.com. I had trouble at first because the sound quality playback was very poor when I set it to record directly to my 128MB card, but I finally got a setting that works on my Treo600: in recording prefs: RECORDING VOLUME 2 and SOUND QUALITY 10 kHz, with SAVE TO EXTERNAL CARD set. Works fine. I recorded a 60 second clip which saved at 1.177MB on my card. Calculating this further, if my 128MB card were empty, I could record and store 6525 seconds, or 108.75 minutes! Not bad!

I could easily pop the card into my desktop computer because it has a built-in card reader and the playback sounded very clear. It also sounded fine on the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarner191
    Thanks for the info.

I am using the SoundRec 1.051 (free) from www.infinityball.com. I had trouble at first because the sound quality playback was very poor when I set it to record directly to my 128MB card, but I finally got a setting that works on my Treo600: in recording prefs: RECORDING VOLUME 2 and SOUND QUALITY 10 kHz, with SAVE TO EXTERNAL CARD set. Works fine. I recorded a 60 second clip which saved at 1.177MB on my card. Calculating this further, if my 128MB card were empty, I could record and store 6525 seconds, or 108.75 minutes! Not bad!

I could easily pop the card into my desktop computer because it has a built-in card reader and the playback sounded very clear. It also sounded fine on the Treo.
    Thanks Jwarner. Just tried your combo and it works! I do a lot of recording while driving and checking out real estate. So now I don't have to limit my recorded info while canvassing a neighborhood.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Do any of these recorders allow you to record a conversation you are having with someone on the phone? That would be really handy.
    Iamosclever: Try Audacity with the Seidio headset. It works well. You can also use the speakerphone function if that is an option. Also, in looking over this thread about features that people want. Audacity has a very small compressed file format. A one minute recording in under 50K. You can record to either internal or SD card memory. Both Audacity programs include a conduit function that automatically transfers files during a hotsync. The Audacity personal has a nice voice alarm. The Audacity Professional has all types of security--encryption and access control.
    What version of Audacity are you using ? I see that there are 3 different ones.
    There are really only two Audacity versions that work with the Treo, the Personal for casual users and the Professional for mobile professionals wanting to use it for dictation functions. Both are nice programs, but serve different markets.
    I now have tried all of the available recorders and I have to say, Audacity is bay far the best. In terms of the interface, I actually like it, BUT a little hard to get used to. I DO NOT like it's price for the professional version since that is the version that has a few more options that I would like to have than the Personal but don't need all the dictation functions. I would like to see note capability and different quality recording options like the Pro has on the Personal version. With those option added the price tag is bearable for the Personal version. I do agree that SoundRec is Free and that is a great buy but it's interface just stinks. (I have heard that it is being overhauled in the next version). PAR is actually a nice program but it has some minor limitations and it's interface for recording and playing is a little funky. I actually like the fact I can control in Audacity the way the file name is created and that tells me a lot about the sound file where as the other programs do not allow for that feature.

BUT one thing I am still disappointed in is the recording of sound while driving. I have not been able to get a good recording on any of the programs without my sound getting choppy while I am driving. Actually Audacity has come the closest to making a recording with a LITTLE LESS of choppiness. I have come to a conclusion that it is a hardware limitation and not the programs (but I could be wrong). If anyone has been able to make a recording while they are driving without it getting all choppy, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! By the way, the choppy sound happens either on the internal memory or SD card recording and I am using a SandDisk Ultra II 512mb SD card which has no speed issues.
    MacInfo, I tried the driving thing with the Audacity Professional, but didn't have the choppiness that you experienced. I was using PCM 8 kHz and holding the Treo about 3 or 4 inches from my mouth. There is background noise associated with the car, traffic, etc., but it did not seem to affect the recording significantly. What were your conditions?
    My preferred one is mVoice. I reviewed it recently here... Very simple to use - which was my principal criteria (don't want or need all the bells and whistles).

Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Clark
    MacInfo, I tried the driving thing with the Audacity Professional, but didn't have the choppiness that you experienced. I was using PCM 8 kHz and holding the Treo about 3 or 4 inches from my mouth. There is background noise associated with the car, traffic, etc., but it did not seem to affect the recording significantly. What were your conditions?
    I was using the Personal edition and I was using PCM 8Khz also. I had the phone abount 6-7 inches away from my mouth and was driving a Lincoln Navigator. I still got the choppiness but like I said earlier, not as bad as the other programs. I will try and keep the mic closer to my mouth and see if it makes any difference. I have not noticed, but is there a setting on how sensative the mic can be in Audacity ? Maybe if I can set the mic volume almost all the way down, I can get rid of the choppiness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok, found the Mic. setting, I will go and test it in the car later today.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Using Treo 600 as a voice recorder.

this is a very informative thread. thanks. just to be sure - i am now eligible for a discounted update with verizon and thinking about getting the treo 600 cdma version. the thing is i am a journalist and it is great to use my palm T3 as a voice recorder - the quality is decent and it is one less piece of hardware to fit in my jacket pocket (fortunate are the ladies who carry pocketbooks!).

so, just to be sure, if i use one of the utility prorams mentioned int he threads:
    1 - can i record good length interviews (1 or 2 horus?) in decent quality?
    2 - is there any way to use a microphone for better quality?
    3 - can i record my telephone conversations?
    4 - what happens if i am recording an interview and i receive a phone call? can i disable the ringer? the phone? it can be very embarassing to be interviewing a sports star or a president and find your voice recorder annoucning a that phone call from the irate fiancee..

thanks - peter
    1. Yes, just use a good SD card like the SanDisk Ultra II. PCM 8 kHz is about 1 MB per minute and is decent quality. If you use the Audacity Professional with PCM 16, it is extremely good quality, but takes twice the storage.
    2. No
    3. Yes, either with Audacity using a Seidio headset or by using the speakerphone.
    4. You can disable the ringer, but you will still get interupted. You can press ignore to send the call to voice mail. You can also turn the phone off completely if you really don't want an interuption.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast